CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sabot Slug Reloading.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:47 am 
Tournament Grade

I have ordered some slugs, commander from lightfield, bluforce, and DLG12 from midway. I have ordered some fiocchi 2.75" hulls that are primed already. I ordered a roll crimper.

First, I am not a shotgun loader. I have no MEC loader, etc. I do reload for rifle and pistol.

I was told I could just measure out a load and by hand shove the saboted slug in the new hull, put an overshot card on top and roll crimp to 2.75".

I don't plan on reusing the hulls, (as of now, but will keep em). Can someone verify I do not need to run thru a resizer? And tell me if I am missing something? Are these wads real easy to push in?

Post subject: Re: Sabot Slug Reloading.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

Bigcountry11,

I think it will be much easier if you have a press to reload slugs. I started out like you did without a press: I used the old Lee Loader for Shotgun Shells. I find that a press makes the process much easier. If you do not load hundreds of rounds at a time, the lee LoadAll is a good economical fit. You can obtain one from Gander Mountain, the website gives free shipping. link is as follows:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... rchID=4005

The Lee Load All uses fold crimps, which work for many forum members that post here. I will provide link to you below for some reloading data for the BPI Dangerous Game Slugs, Lyman Sabot Shotgun Slugs (contact SGW member turbo1889 for these slugs via PM), Lee drive key slugs. These threee slugs are suitable for most game in Lower 48. Links are as follows.

viewtopic.php?f=118&t=229705

http://www.buckandslug.co.uk/ (look for load data link for dg slug)

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/in ... 203529.pdf

Hope this helps.

ST762

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks swamp. What part of the process will need to the press? I don't plan on fold crimp. I am going to roll crimp. Do I need it to put the sabot wad in?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

I forgot that you are going to roll crimp, please accept my apology. I found the press to just simplify the process. However, a press will give you some options if you decide to use a fold crimp. Happy hunting.

ST762

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Swamp. Sooner or later i will probably get a Mec jr, or simular. Just out of space. Got a RCBS rockchucker, Lee 1000, and dillion 550. I wouldn't mind recycling hulls one day, and know I would need to deprimer and prime.

I am just trying to understand does the fold crimper press your load/sabot down to have consistent seating depth? Also it appears a MEC has a sizer feature,

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yes, the press resizes and seats to consistent searing depth. MECs are great machines; I use a Lee because right now I only load about 100-150 shells per year, mostly slugs for hogs here if florida.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:14 pm 
Field Grade

bigcountry11 wrote:
I have ordered some slugs, commander from lightfield, bluforce, and DLG12 from midway. I have ordered some fiocchi 2.75" hulls that are primed already. I ordered a roll crimper.

First, I am not a shotgun loader. I have no MEC loader, etc. I do reload for rifle and pistol.

I was told I could just measure out a load and by hand shove the saboted slug in the new hull, put an overshot card on top and roll crimp to 2.75".

I don't plan on reusing the hulls, (as of now, but will keep em). Can someone verify I do not need to run thru a resizer? And tell me if I am missing something? Are these wads real easy to push in?

I have been loading sabot slugs for quite awhile now and have had my best luck with CCS sabots and Hornady pistol bullets. I do not use a loader to load my slugs even though I have both Mecs and Load Alls. By using new primed shells there is no need to resize and since you are using a roll crimper all you have to do is measure your powder out, drop it in the hull, add your gas seal, add spacer wads and then your sabot and slug then roll crimp. The 2.75 length of the shell is the fired length not the finished shell length. My loads have been very accurate and I have shot many deer with them. If you want more info I will be glad to help you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks baka. I will give ya a holler when they come in. Where did you get those sabots? I see BPI also has RSS-12's sabots for 350 or 500gr 50cal bullets. Figured I would try the BPI DG-12's and commanders first.

I might holler at ya for good powders. I have alot of unique, HB-38. But figured I might have to go out and buy some.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I ordered some of the BPI RSS-12 sabots today, I plan on using some .501 caliber 350 grain WW alloy metallic slugs with those sabots, after I get my updated slug loading manual from BPI, which has been back ordered for a few weeks because they added the new sabot loading data. I also have mold that go up to 500 grain weights in the 500 caliber rifle bullets.

Jerry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:18 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm just getting started handloading sabot slugs. I'm trying CCS Sabots and Hornady FXT 50cal.pistol bullets. I need some recomendations for powder loads. I'm shooting a 12ga 2.75" :Mossberg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

Sluggin in Ohio,

I am looking at my copy of the CCS Reloading Manual, and I see only one load that will suit your purposes.

No hull type specified (use only straight walled hulls or previously used slug hulls)
Unique powder, 24.5 grains
209 primer (brand not specified)
1 CCS Gas Seal
3 .125 Hard Cards
1 CCS 50-caliber Sabot with 325 Grain .50-caliber Projectile.
1460 FPS
10430 PSI
Roll crimp

ST762

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:00 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks Swamp, we'll giveit a try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

Sluggin,

If you send me a mailing address via PM, I will get a copy of the CCS Reloading manual out to you.

ST762

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

look on Craigslist.com for a used mec press! i have gotten two mec 600jrs. and a almost new grabber with wads and some shot for half the price of one 600jr. deals are to be found if you look!
monty