CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: shotgun barrel porting
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:37 am 
Tournament Grade

Thinking of porting the barrels on my O/U to reduce recoil and was wondering if this would have any measureable affect on performance or velocity?

Does anyone have any info on doing this?

Post subject: re: shotgun barrel porting
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:10 am 
Crown Grade

Barrel porting does not reduce recoil.

Some people believe that barrel porting reduces "muzzle flip," but the effect is so small in shotguns as to be negligible. If you shoot heavy hunting loads from your O/U, you might feel some benefit. Do this as a last resort, only after you've had the gun fitted, added a quality recoil pad and weight to the gun, and still find the recoil to be unacceptable. It is pretty difficult to undo porting.

The only effects that everyone seems to agree on are that barrel porting definitely results in more noise from the gun, longer cleaning times, and more money in the pockets of those who port shotgun barrels. Some people also think it looks cool.

The best shotgun barrels have only two holes... one at each end.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:20 am 
Crown Grade

Porting is discussed at length in other posts. Search on it.

But IMO, it does nothing that is good and at least three things that are bad.

Increases noise, a lot(one of the causes of shooters flinch)
Decreases value, for most buyers
Makes the barrel harder to clean

Spend your money on someting useful. Like getting the stock tweeked to custom fit you.

Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Don't know what kind of gun you have, but there are so many ported guns already out there I just hate to see someone drill holes in another one that is not already "messed up".

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

Barrel porting isn't going to cut recoil and may cut muzzle flip a little. It is noisy and makes the gun tougher to clean since the ports collect crap. Some folks swear by it though, we can do porting but we try to explain to them what to expect ahead of time so they aren't disappointed.

http://www.kingarmory.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

I don't quiet understand why so many gun manufacturers port their gun if it does nothing and makes it worth less?

I think for now I will put my money into getting my Verona fitted for me and hold off on the porting atleast for now.

Thanks for the help. I still would welcome any advice.

Post subject: Re: re: shotgun barrel porting
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

adr1601 wrote:
I don't quiet understand why so many gun manufacturers port their gun if it does nothing and makes it worth less?

Because some gun purchasers want porting and the gun companies will give it to them, even if it does nothing good and reduces resale value - they don't care because they've already sold it to the guy that wanted it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For the same reason that they put those silly light pipes on for front beads... people labor under the delusion that it will somehow make them a better shooter.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:25 pm 
Crown Grade

This is a for what it's worth post.

When I shoot a ported shotgun I don't notice that much difference in noise. However, when I am standing next to someone shooting a ported shotgun I sometimes begin thinking of shooter's parentage.

Ported high power rifles and rhino stopping pistols are extremely noisy wherever ....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This same question comes up at least once a month. With a little searching, you can find several threads about it with hundreds of replies.

The replies typically run about 90-95% against porting.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:08 am 
Crown Grade

drsfmd wrote:
For the same reason that they put those silly light pipes on for front beads... people labor under the delusion that it will somehow make them a better shooter.

Quite true. Porting, in common with pump guns, is almost unique to the USA. Very rare these days in the UK and offhand, I can't think of any new guns on the market here that are factory ported. What I can say for certain is that one maker dominates the market here here for new guns and they have never offered a ported gun.

IMO there are only 2 things (apart from practice) that you can spend money on to improve your shooting; gunfitting and coaching.

Robert Browning

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

No, porting will not affect performance or velocity nor will it reduce recoil. It may reduce barrel rise a half-inch but I have seen no figures to confirm it.

What effect or aspect of recoil would you like to reduce?

Gun weight, load velocity and shot weight are what affects measured recoil. In addition to that, stock dimensions and how well they fit you along with the shooting form that you use are what affects "felt" recoil, which is a subjective judgment.

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible (gun-fitting & shooting form instruction for shooters)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

I would like to reduce all aspects of recoil. I have a call in about getting the gun fitted to me. I know for sure the lop is to long for me and it seems to always point low when I shoulder it.

I am also loading 7/8 oz loads for general clay shooting to ease recoil.

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like no porting for me. :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The best ways to reduce recoil are to reduce the weight of the shot and lower the velocity of the load. Next in the effectiveness list is to add weight to the gun.

To reduce felt recoil in addition to the above, getting the gun to fit and allow the use of a correct shooting form will do as much as possible to reduce it.

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible (gun-fitting & shooting form instruction for shooters)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

Interesting thread about porting, something I knew little about.

Why then, would such a premier manufacturer as Benelli even offer a ported gun? Seems it would hurt their reputation. Anything for a buck, I guess.

Last edited by juneau92 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There are actually a lot of people who think that porting does slightly reduce recoil and reduces muzzle jump. There are people that think that since everybody is wearing ear protection anyway the extra noise is not an issue. The manufacturers offer guns for those people. Some companies offer colored stockes and synthentic stocks and wood stocks. Nothing wrong with trying to please the customer. Nothing wrong with the customer questioning the advantage of certain features either.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:45 pm 
Crown Grade

I thought I'd revive this thread with another Bruce Buck link. I am posting this because I thought Buck covered the subject of shotgun barrel port well, meaning in part that I agree with it.

Buck is more on the side of porting is an annoying waste of energy.

http://www.shotgunreport.com/TechTech/TechnoidArchive/3-May-08.pdf

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:21 am 
Limited Edition

I was in a Sporting Clays match last Saturday in New Paltz, NY. I saw everything from high end Browning O/U's to two entry-level Mossberg 12 gauge pump (one wielded by a retired NYS detective friend of mine) that had ported barrels. All I can say is this:
A-I don't know squat about their effectiveness
B- I equate their use to being about equal to fishing with your favorite "confidence lure" and
C- This is the USA, where we've been putting non-functioning "air-scoops" and spoilers on cars for over 45 years.
Why? Because people will pay extra for them!

ADR- You can of course have your gun cut to your LOP and have a nice GTF recoil pad (I prefer Limbsavers) installed as well as add a comb pad to bring your line of sight back in line.
Mind you, I've only been into this for a couple of years. But, with the wellspring of knowledge and info thrown at you hereabouts the consensus of opinion would seem to be to not waste your money on such stuff!
BB

:wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

I know that after having my SKB 85TSS 12 ga. Pigeon Ported by MagnaPort, I've had many comments by the skeet, sporting clays, trap and 5 stand shooters that I shoot with. I'm kind of a recoil wuss and I shoot 1 ounce loads at around 1185 fps. I can't tell you how many shooters have commented on the fact that when I shoot the gun, there is absolutely NO, zero, none, nada muzzle rise, and again, this is with "low power" loads. The gun fits me very well, but that withstanding, the recoil goes straight back and not into my cheek at all.

I'm very happy with having my gun ported. I will say that there appears to be a difference in the performance of the gun based on who ported it. I've seen other shooters who had ported guns and they didn't shoot nearly as flat as mine does.

Copterdrvr

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:31 pm 
Limited Edition

My 2 cents on porting.
I have hunting guns without ported barrels.
Sporting clays guns with porting.
Can't tell the difference when shooting them.
Sporting clays guns came with porting, I figured
the designers and manufacturers of these
fine shotguns knew what they were doing , why
would they go to all that extra trouble for nothing.
I don't care if a gun is ported or not, mute point.
Maybe it's just a little bit of a mental thing, thinking
porting is helping you get on the second target faster.
whats wrong with that.
They might be a little louder, but not to the shooter.