CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Removing magazine tube from Remington 870 Express
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:35 pm 
Utility Grade

Could someone advise me the easiest way to remove the magazine tube from Remington 870 Express shotgun? I have to open up the I.D. of the tube slightly because the shell rims are too large to slide into tube. The first one might go OK, but the second one might hang up. I don't want to damage the mag. tube removing it. I do appreciate your help. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Removing magazine tube from Remington 870 Express
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:11 pm 
Crown Grade

the tube is Silvered in, and you also have the rear Barrel support silvered on top of the tube. Unless you/gunsmith have a jig to hold it all together, it will have to go back to Remington to remove and replace it.

Have you thought about honing it out?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:19 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for info on the tube. How would recommend honing out the front part of tube without removing it? Just need the front part of tube opened up where shell is inserted. I will wait on your advise. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:10 pm 
Limited Edition

I dont understand how come you are having this problem. Have you banged the tube on anything? How come one shell goes in but not the other? What size shells are you shooting?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:22 pm 
Crown Grade

A small brake cylinder hone will do it. Brownell's sells the same thing listed as a Shotgun Barrel hone. The shaft will not be long enough. You will need to make/buy some sort of extension. I myself would just put a .375 X 18.0 inch long piece of alum or steel in the lathe and drill a hole in the end that the hone shaft would fit and drill and tap one in the side for a set screw.

If you don't have a brake cylinder hone or know anyone who you borrow one from,any autoparts store should have a small brake cylinder hone, or you can order one from Brownell's.($12.20) Brownell's also sells an extension shaft, but is it expensive ($74.97). If you can't fab up some sort of shaft, take the hone to a local machine shop and have them make you one. Unless you are just wanting to do all this by your self, it would cheaper and easier to take it to a gunsmith in your area.

One thing if you decide to hone it out yourself,Take care NOT to damage the shell latches in the receiver with the hone.

www.brownells.com

hone number
531-108-002

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:51 pm 
Crown Grade

[quote="Harley157"]Could someone advise me the easiest way to remove the magazine tube from Remington 870 Express shotgun? I have to open up the I.D. of the tube slightly because the shell rims are too large to slide into tube. The first one might go OK, but the second one might hang up. I don't want to damage the mag. tube removing it. I do appreciate your help. Thanks.[/quote]

The first one will go in OK but the second one won't, sure sounds like something more then just the mag tube?
I really recommend you have a good gunsmith or the folks at Remington look at the gun before you start screwing with it.

Last edited by wb on Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:04 pm 
Crown Grade

sounds like it has a plug still in it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

Let's not get carried away here. What is the gauge of your 870 for starters? What is the gauge of the shells you are trying to use? Without hearing any more of the story I will say that honing the magazine tube is not a great idea. If the tube is full of rust, send it to Remington for a new magazine tube.
Have you tried pulling the mag spring and mag follower out and cleaning the inside of the tube? Did this gun have a steel follower? If so, it may have rusted or deteriorated inside the gun. You can check to see if the shells will fit into the other end of the tube.
-Lazarus