CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 870 Safety Modification
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:48 am 
Tournament Grade

I have an 870 with the J-Key safety but I also have a non-lockable Remington safety. Can I replace the J-Key safety with the other safety? How do I do it? Is it hard to do? Is it recommended?

Thanks ahead of time.

Post subject: Re: Remington 870 Safety Modification
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:32 am 
Presentation Grade

Just curious why you would want to change it? I kinda like the option to lock the safety with the key

Anyways I wish I had an answer for you but I thoguht id comment since nobody else has.

If it were me id probably get a diagram and research how to take apart the shot gun and figure it out myself. I dont think it could be too difficult to replace it. But I might be completly wrong.

Someone here should know the answer to this???

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:42 am 
Tournament Grade

Yes, the locking mechanism is entirely contained in the safety button so you simply replace the button with a non safety Remington button or one of the after market buttons. I prefer the Vang Comp dome safety. This is a common modification.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

1st pull the trigger group out by removing the 2 cross pins from the receiver. Now if you look above the safety, you'll see 2 holes. 1 is verticle above the safety and holds the ball detent/pin and a spring. The other is horizontal and holds a cross pin which holds the detent system/spring assembly in place. Take a punch and drive out the cross pin while holding a finger over the verticle hole to prevent the spring assembly from flying out. The safety will then slip right out and you just place the new one in and reverse the process. You'll need to use a punch to hold the spring assembly in place while driving the cross pin back in place. And don't pull the trigger while it's out of the receiver.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

dasanii19 wrote:
Just curious why you would want to change it? I kinda like the option to lock the safety with the key

Perhaps because he prefers a shotgun over a club for HD?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:54 pm 
Utility Grade

I really would just leave it alone. If Mr Murphy visited you and you ended up in a legal situation, the fact you altered the safety would give a lawyer a blank check. IMHO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:04 am 
Diamond Grade

Sky Pirate, This might help you out a bit. http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=64566

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:08 am 
Tournament Grade

Jordan1 wrote:
I really would just leave it alone. If Mr Murphy visited you and you ended up in a legal situation, the fact you altered the safety would give a lawyer a blank check. IMHO

Agreed. If you don't want the locking safety, throw away the keys so it can't be locked. Modifying a factory safety mechanism is an open door in litigation should you ever have to use the weapon in a defensive role.

JMHO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:51 am 

Red-Leg wrote:
Agreed. If you don't want the locking safety, throw away the keys so it can't be locked. Modifying a factory safety mechanism is an open door in litigation should you ever have to use the weapon in a defensive role.

JMHO

It can be locked without the key, simply grab it with thumb and forfinger and twist.

American by birth, Texan by the Grace of God.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well I did it. Disassembly was easy. Reassembly was a pain. You have to push the safety spring down while reinserting the pin and it is more difficult than it seems.

I replaced it with a standard Remington safety WITHOUT the J-Key. I don't see why there should be any cause for litigation if I ever need to use my shotgun-- I'm using all factory parts in my gun and I simply replaced one factory part for another factory part.

Anyone else ever do this or was I the only guy who decided to replace the J-Key safety? There's nothing wrong with the J-Key safety but it's just one less thing to worry about (losing the keys, for instance).

I did a function test and the new safety works properly. I'm just wondering-- do both safety designs use the spring and ball? The safeties look quite different when viewed from above. I'm guessing that's because the lockable safety has to have a special hole where the ball can be locked into place.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

Litigation..please..maybe if there was an accidental shooting, but if you mean to shoot something, then the safety is supposed to be turned off easily.

one factory part for the other..sounds fine to me.

since people are trained nowdays to keep the finger out of the trigger gaurd, a safety is false security. I only use it if I have to set a loaded weapon down or hand it off to another person. I don't want some half twisted j-hook safety stuck where I cant engage/disengage it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:41 am 
Tournament Grade

mike100 wrote:
Litigation..please..

I don't know where you live, but here in the US litigation has become the latest get rich quick scheme and if you shoot anybody (accidentally or not) you had best be prepared to get sued. Modifying ANY safety mechanism of the firearm from the way it was originally manufactured opens yet another door for the prosecution. Granted, you could use the argument presented above that it is still a factory part, but unless you're a certified Remington 'smith or have the modification done by one you are still open to having it used against you when you are sued. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not even open the door for the liberal b@stards.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:17 pm 
Limited Edition

Mr. Pirate,

If the J-lock really bothers you that much and you really have that much time on your hands to go ahead through all the trouble of changing out the safety and you want to break the gun down and you want to go out and get the new safety and you want to put it back together, go ahead and go for it! The added safety is there for a reason! Its there for safety! If it really really does bother you that much, just take the J-key and unlock the safety! Then just throw the key away and just like that your problems are solved!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Red-Leg wrote:
mike100 wrote:
Litigation..please..

I don't know where you live, but here in the US litigation has become the latest get rich quick scheme and if you shoot anybody (accidentally or not) you had best be prepared to get sued. Modifying ANY safety mechanism of the firearm from the way it was originally manufactured opens yet another door for the prosecution. Granted, you could use the argument presented above that it is still a factory part, but unless you're a certified Remington 'smith or have the modification done by one you are still open to having it used against you when you are sued. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not even open the door for the liberal b@stards.

couldn't the same be said for ANY modification made on a firearm?
like changing sights, triggers, grip safeties(1911 handguns)
As long as the piece functions correctly, I don't see any problem

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:44 pm 
Sky Pirate:

I am with you. I want to replace my J-Keyed safety too. I think the safety switch is way too small so I want a larger tactical one...which I believe will be much safer.

Tactical Response Jumbo Head Safety:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... EAD+SAFETY

This DVD helped me out a lot and actually has a step-by-step procedure for
the safety change out:
Complete Disassembly & Reassembly: Remington 870 Shotgun
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=843164

Enjoy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Banshee wrote:
Red-Leg wrote:
mike100 wrote:
Litigation..please..

couldn't the same be said for ANY modification made on a firearm?
like changing sights, triggers, grip safeties(1911 handguns)
As long as the piece functions correctly, I don't see any problem

Your analogies are flawed. The difference is that by swapping out the "J" safety for an older one you are actually disabling a factory safety device, specifically one mandated by law.

This would be tantamount to actually physically disabling the grip safety on a 1911 (to use your specific example), rather than simply swapping out for one with a different profile.

If the gun is not going to be used for self defense, the argument is moot. However, in a home defense gun, I simply would not disable any safety device, as it does open the door to litigation.

<hijack off>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:14 am 
Presentation Grade

Rev. wrote:
Red-Leg wrote:

JMHO

It can be locked without the key, simply grab it with thumb and forfinger and twist.

Your right!! I just tried it and it locked but you cant twist it back of the lock with your fingers. So if he threw the keys away how could he unlock it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:26 am 
Field Grade

How would they even know??????????

I would just say that it came that way....

-Coop

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:10 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

as a remington armorer, let me say that a few 870 p (POLICE) models were shipped with the keyed safety. after a while, it was found that the safety was engaging without use of the key, disabling the arm. no 870 p models are currently shipped with the safety.

i will also say that i have a new 11/87 that formerly had the keyed safety. while cleaning it, i "lost" the original safety, and could not find it. out of desperation, i replaced the "lost" part with an old style safety. one of these days, i need to replace the safety (yeah, right) :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:13 am 
Limited Edition

john wall wrote:
as a remington armorer, let me say that a few 870 p (POLICE) models were shipped with the keyed safety. after a while, it was found that the safety was engaging without use of the key, disabling the arm. no 870 p models are currently shipped with the safety.

i will also say that i have a new 11/87 that formerly had the keyed safety. while cleaning it, i "lost" the original safety, and could not find it. out of desperation, i replaced the "lost" part with an old style safety. one of these days, i need to replace the safety (yeah, right) :wink:

John Wall: Can the Remington 870, 1100/11-87 "J" lock safety be reversed to become a left hsnd safety? Or would the old style non "J" type be compatible for this. Being lefty I have on occasion bumped safety with left finger during second and third shots at wild birds effectively locking safety to safe position which of course dissables the trigger. Frusrating!.