CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "matte" barrel touch-up or reblue?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:13 pm 
Field Grade

I have a Beretta Sporting over/under, with the matte finish, that has some wear marks on the barrel and trigger guard. Can the matte finish be redone as easily as the old blued barrels? Is there any "touch up" that might be a short term fix? If I buy a new gun, is the matte barrel a good choice as far as maintenance?

Last edited by Bash on Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: "matte" barrel touch-up or reblue?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've had good results touching up wear marks with Birchwood-Casey Perma Blue Liquid Gun Blue. The B-C paste blue didn't work as well for me.

Why not try it and see. It'll only cost you a couple of bucks to find out how satisfied you will be with the touch-up job.

Post subject: Re: "matte" barrel touch-up or reblue?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

Bash,
The matte finish you see is actually a rust blue over a media blasted surface. Do as Mr. Ben said or use any high quality cold blue to touch up should do the trick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:07 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks, guys! So the "matte finish" on the Beretta is actually sort of a "sand-blasted" finish on the metal first and then it's blued?

I like the matte finish for hunting, but still would like your opinions on which finish would stand up better in the long haul and which is easier to have reblued or refinished. (I'm going to get a different Onyx) Or is it sort of a horse apiece? The Beretta I have with the matte finish almost looks black to me.

Thanks again for your input!