Shotgun Forum banner

"matte" barrel touch-up or reblue?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Bash 
#1 ·
I have a Beretta Sporting over/under, with the matte finish, that has some wear marks on the barrel and trigger guard. Can the matte finish be redone as easily as the old blued barrels? Is there any "touch up" that might be a short term fix? If I buy a new gun, is the matte barrel a good choice as far as maintenance?

#2 ·
I've had good results touching up wear marks with Birchwood-Casey Perma Blue Liquid Gun Blue. The B-C paste blue didn't work as well for me.

Why not try it and see. It'll only cost you a couple of bucks to find out how satisfied you will be with the touch-up job.

#4 ·
Thanks, guys! So the "matte finish" on the Beretta is actually sort of a "sand-blasted" finish on the metal first and then it's blued?

I like the matte finish for hunting, but still would like your opinions on which finish would stand up better in the long haul and which is easier to have reblued or refinished. (I'm going to get a different Onyx) Or is it sort of a horse apiece? The Beretta I have with the matte finish almost looks black to me.

Thanks again for your input!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.