CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spolar 12 GA powder drop tube issues
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:31 am 
Tournament Grade

When loading 12 ga hulls on my Spolar, the hull end-of-life seems to be primarily determined by how well the hull tip stays open. After a few reloads, the powder drop tube will start catching on the lip of the shell and causing problems. This is even more noticeable on 6 point hulls since their unobstructed opening diameter tends to be a bit smaller.

I was thinking of trying a 20 gauge powder drop tube on my 12 gauge setup. I may find that I create new problems by not opening up the shell enough for the wad insertion stage though. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Joel

Post subject: Re: Spolar 12 GA powder drop tube issues
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:47 am 
Diamond Grade

See PM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:13 pm 
Crown Grade

That's a new one on me.I do believe that the newer machines,come with a 20GA size powder drop,but
I can't be sure.Call Carter Spolar , he can advise you I'm sure.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:25 pm 

Spolar's never have troubles. Have you not been informed of that?

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

Creeker is correct, the older machines had a larger diameter tube. My Spolar, #867, had the larger tube which on occasion gave me some problems. Purchased the smaller diameter 20ga tube years ago, problem solved.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:48 pm 
Limited Edition

I have Spolar #563 and changed the SHOT drop tube to a 20 gauge because green dusters had a tendency to fold over when the tube hit them. The bent ones sprung back so fast it was a pain in the butt. I have never changed my powder drop tube and rarely have I had it cause a problem except on hulls I should have tossed anyways.

Maybe you are just trying to get one too many loads out of your hulls? I know I have been known to do that.

If you ever get folded over wad petals you may want to make that change. I currently use DR TGT wads and they are flared so that I probably would have no issues using the 12 gauge shot tube again

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:07 pm 
Crown Grade

If you get dog ear'd wads put them in plastic bag & then a pillow case & put them in the dryer for
10 min's,they come out great! I and other shooters do that,especially if you store then in a cold area.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

+1 on what Sportshot2 said. On mine #625 I replaced the shot drop tube with the 20ga unit. The 20ga shot drop is now standard on the 12 ga per Dicksie. Is it possible that you are having an indexing issue so that the powder drop tube is not centered. OR has the tube been bent or installed incorrectly? I have never had a hull last long enough to get that tight besides unless someone has screwed up the deprime station the case mouth gets expanded there just before going to the powder station.

--- Chip King ---

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:24 pm 
Crown Grade

One place you might want to look is where Chip King said, up inside of the deprime assembly & make sure there isn't anything like plastic stuck up in there,also pull all the dies and make sure there isn't any
flattened shot stuck under the edge of one of the dies.On that machine,a little bit of shot can cause
havoc, because of the close tolerances.P/S I found that out the hard way.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

The deprime plunger (item 32) on my 12 gauge tooling appears to be the same size as the one on my 410 ga tooling. I measure its outside diameter as 0.375 inches in the constant diameter region just below the deprime plunger cup. It appears that this station will only stretch the 12 ga shell mouth to this 0.375 inch dimension, which is smaller than the powder drop tube at its tip. Logic tells me that the loader should stretch the mouth of the shell at the deprime station to almost fully open. Perhaps this was an assembly error at the factory.

Anyone have any comments on the size of their deprime plunger? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

Just went down and measured mine. It is .629 so it looks like you may have found the problem. Did you buy it new? and did it come with different gauge tooling? Maybe a slight mixup has occured.

--- Chip King ---

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

chipking wrote:
Just went down and measured mine. It is .629 so it looks like you may have found the problem. Did you buy it new? and did it come with different gauge tooling? Maybe a slight mixup has occured.

--- Chip King ---

Originally I bought the loader new for 410 only. Later I ordered 12 gauge tooling new from the factory. It looks like they built the 12 ga tooling with one wrong part number installed (410 part on 12 gauge tooling). Even with the wrong part installed it works great for three reloads on a Gun Club eight crimp hull!

Over the years I've owned three different loaders. The Spolar (with power hydraulics) is by far the best. I've loaded over 1700 shells in a single afternoon without any significant body fatigue. Pretty awesome tool, and now it can get even better!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:53 pm 
Crown Grade

Call the Spolars and explian the situation,they may want you to send the part back.They are good to deal with.I had some parts lost in the mail and they shipped me new ones right away.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

creeker wrote:
Call the Spolars and explian the situation,they may want you to send the part back.They are good to deal with.I had some parts lost in the mail and they shipped me new ones right away.

Strangely enough, I spoke with Spolar and Robert told me that they've been shipping 12 gauge tooling with a 410 size deprime plunger (item 32) for about the last 10 years. This means that the 12 gauge shell mouth is not currently expanded beyond 0.375 inch diameter at the deprime stage. It is sized beyond that only at the powder drop stage.

When I pick up a once-fired Fiocchi 6 point hull, the opening tends to be very similar to the tip diameter of the powder drop tube. This means that even on the first reload of this hull, the powder drop tube will routinely catch on the hull tip and bend a bit of it slightly inward. This isn't a major problem, but it seems that these hulls would reload better (and more than once?) with a full-scale 12 gauge diameter deprime plunger.

Robert from Spolar did offer to send me a drawing for the original 12 gauge diameter deprime plunger. I can have a machine shop make the retro-part, but that would be custom made and priced appropriately. I haven't yet decided whether to pursue this or not.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:05 pm 

Get the print, we can talk about this afterwards.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

What Curly said get the print. We will go from there. You may just need to make a long bushing with the .375 ID and a .630 OD with a 45 degree taper on one end. Slide it on the current decapper assembly, lock it with locktite or a set screw and go back to loading.

I have to say that sounds like a bogus answer and I would have expected better from Spolar.

--- Chip King ---

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:37 pm 

chipking wrote:
I have to say that sounds like a bogus answer and I would have expected better from Spolar.

That would be two of us, even lowly MEC furnishes gauge specific depriming/hull expanding rods.

That bushing sounds like a great idea. How about making a bushing that is a slight press fit, heating it up, slipping it into place and allowing it to cool. It will stay in place until Obama's debt is paid off.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:46 pm 
Field Grade

I have heard of some having trouble like you describe. I personally have never had that type of trouble, I will have to ask my wife, because she is the one that reloads. We were at the World Shoot some years ago, when we walked into the Spolar booth, she took one look and said "that looks so easy I think I could reload on that press", we bought one and I haven't reloaded a shell since!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:01 am 
Crown Grade

Is this trouble,unique to this particular reloaders situation,or is it common to others.Why would they
still continue, to put the 410 plunger in the machine for 10-years if it were so?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:10 am 

creeker wrote:
Is this trouble,unique to this particular reloaders situation,or is it common to others.Why would they
still continue, to put the 410 plunger in the machine for 10-years if it were so?

Probably because nobody complained, then they probably allowed the larger expanders to deplete.
I am still sorta flabbergasted that Spolar took the path they did in response to the problem. Kinda cheesy, I think. :?