CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Powder Shortage - what gives?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

What's up with the current shortage of powders? Most of the mail order sources (Gamaliel, Recobs, Midway, etc. ) are out of stock on Winchester, Hodgdon, etc. powders.

Does anyone know when the manufacturers will begin shipping new inventory again?

Post subject: Re: Powder Shortage - what gives?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:20 pm 
Crown Grade

They have never stopped - we added about 45million guns to the households last year and about of those folks are now getting into reloading because of the ammo shortage. Pistol and zombie slayers are buying ANY powder in hopes they can use it for their needs, AND buying in every quantity available. Sooner or later the ammo and supply hoarders' credit cards are going to get maxxed out and things should go somewhat back to normal

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

Fountain wrote:
. . .Most of the mail order sources (Gamaliel, Recobs, Midway, etc. ) are out of stock on Winchester, Hodgdon, etc. powders. . . .

Try Ballistic Products for Winchester and Hodgdon powder. The don't have a lot left but they say they have some. When the new stock finally gets in, it will come with new prices so get it now if you can.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:12 pm 
Limited Edition

Everything is getting in short supply... look at pistol/rifle ammo - Every Tom, Dick and Harry is out there paying ridiculous prices, because they're afraid of future bans or civil unrest... Clays was in short supply 2 years ago and then was readily available over the last year - now this...

Jay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:24 am 
Crown Grade

panic buying any powder?
wow !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:31 am 
Presentation Grade

We as shotgun reloaders are better off than rifle shooters. Anything that is designed to burn in a .223 is almost impossible to find.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:23 am 
Crown Grade

LongRanger wrote:
We as shotgun reloaders are better off than rifle shooters. Anything that is designed to burn in a .223 is almost impossible to find.

Ha! - have to tried to put your hands on any .22 LR ??? At this rate, the raccoons are going to take over the world !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:01 am 
Tournament Grade

Republican wrote:
LongRanger wrote:

Ha! - have to tried to put your hands on any .22 LR ??? At this rate, the raccoons are going to take over the world !

I've had that problem too but I just switched to shooting them with 520 grain cast lead boolits from my 45-70 rifle using almost any powder laying around. And it does a good job of killing them. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:07 am 
Tournament Grade

I guess I'm a hoarder myself. Everytime I see my supplier and he has stuff in stock that I use, I get it. Regardless of needing it at the very moment or not. I'm sitting on several pounds of blue dot, steel, green dot and longshot at the moment. I'm picking up some hs 6 this weekend, plus wads and so on.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:10 am 
Crown Grade

Back to muzzle loaders for a while. Hey, that's fun too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:14 am 
Limited Edition

Gamaliel seems to have restocked on alliant powders. I was able to order everything I wanted this morning.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:35 am 
Crown Grade

mountain4don wrote:
Republican wrote:
LongRanger wrote:

I've had that problem too but I just switched to shooting them with 520 grain cast lead boolits from my 45-70 rifle using almost any powder laying around. And it does a good job of killing them. :mrgreen:

Good grief, - that'll get the neighbors attention. I was thinking of going the other direction, - back to "air". I've taken them with my RWS-48 .22 pellet gun, but you gotta be really good, and expect to jack that arm back a few times for multiple shots. Your arm may fall off after that, but you'll eventually have a dead coon. Life was much simpler with the CCI .22 LR subsonics in a scoped Remington Targetmaster 510, but it seems that I won't be doing that for a while. Have to save what stockpile I have of CCI .22 LR subsonics for the Zombies (or when the GF wants to go to the range with my Ruger Mark III Hunter).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:39 am 
Tournament Grade

pak wrote:
Gamaliel seems to have restocked on alliant powders. I was able to order everything I wanted this morning.

My supplier told me last weekend getting the Alliant powders wouldn't be much of a problem. Hogdon on the other hand will be slower coming.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:09 pm 
Limited Edition

blue tick wrote:
pak wrote:

My supplier told me last weekend getting the Alliant powders wouldn't be much of a problem. Hogdon on the other hand will be slower coming.

I heard the same thing as well. I might have to switch over to Alliant powders. I use Hodgdon powders mostly, but it looks like Green dot, 20/28 and 410 for me. From the looks of the recipies, I could do just Green Dot and 410 as well, in a pinch.