CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Image



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Powder Shortage - what gives?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:36 am
Posts: 166
What's up with the current shortage of powders? Most of the mail order sources (Gamaliel, Recobs, Midway, etc. ) are out of stock on Winchester, Hodgdon, etc. powders.

Does anyone know when the manufacturers will begin shipping new inventory again?




Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powder Shortage - what gives?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:20 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:20 pm
Posts: 9408
They have never stopped - we added about 45million guns to the households last year and about of those folks are now getting into reloading because of the ammo shortage. Pistol and zombie slayers are buying ANY powder in hopes they can use it for their needs, AND buying in every quantity available. Sooner or later the ammo and supply hoarders' credit cards are going to get maxxed out and things should go somewhat back to normal

_________________
"The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.” - Aldo Gucci

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powder Shortage - what gives?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:36 am
Posts: 1193
Fountain wrote:
. . .Most of the mail order sources (Gamaliel, Recobs, Midway, etc. ) are out of stock on Winchester, Hodgdon, etc. powders. . . .

Try Ballistic Products for Winchester and Hodgdon powder. The don't have a lot left but they say they have some. When the new stock finally gets in, it will come with new prices so get it now if you can.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powder Shortage - what gives?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:12 pm 
Limited Edition

Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:23 pm
Posts: 375
Location: Prairie State - Illinois
Everything is getting in short supply... look at pistol/rifle ammo - Every Tom, Dick and Harry is out there paying ridiculous prices, because they're afraid of future bans or civil unrest... Clays was in short supply 2 years ago and then was readily available over the last year - now this...

Jay

_________________
Spitter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powder Shortage - what gives?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:24 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:06 am
Posts: 2264
Location: UK, England, Britain
panic buying any powder?
wow !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powder Shortage - what gives?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:31 am 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:02 pm
Posts: 609
Location: Houston, Texas
We as shotgun reloaders are better off than rifle shooters. Anything that is designed to burn in a .223 is almost impossible to find.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powder Shortage - what gives?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:23 am 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:47 am
Posts: 5236
Location: Covington, WA USA
LongRanger wrote:
We as shotgun reloaders are better off than rifle shooters. Anything that is designed to burn in a .223 is almost impossible to find.

Ha! - have to tried to put your hands on any .22 LR ??? At this rate, the raccoons are going to take over the world !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powder Shortage - what gives?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:01 am 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:28 pm
Posts: 181
Location: Mid-Missouri
Republican wrote:
LongRanger wrote:
We as shotgun reloaders are better off than rifle shooters. Anything that is designed to burn in a .223 is almost impossible to find.

Ha! - have to tried to put your hands on any .22 LR ??? At this rate, the raccoons are going to take over the world !


I've had that problem too but I just switched to shooting them with 520 grain cast lead boolits from my 45-70 rifle using almost any powder laying around. And it does a good job of killing them. :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powder Shortage - what gives?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:07 am 
Tournament Grade
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:25 pm
Posts: 168
Location: Texas by God
I guess I'm a hoarder myself. Everytime I see my supplier and he has stuff in stock that I use, I get it. Regardless of needing it at the very moment or not. I'm sitting on several pounds of blue dot, steel, green dot and longshot at the moment. I'm picking up some hs 6 this weekend, plus wads and so on.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powder Shortage - what gives?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:10 am 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:35 pm
Posts: 3108
Location: Maumelle, Arkansas
Back to muzzle loaders for a while. Hey, that's fun too.

_________________
WELL YOU GONNA PULL THOSE PISTOLS OR WHISTLE DIXIE ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powder Shortage - what gives?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:14 am 
Limited Edition

Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 1:20 am
Posts: 480
Gamaliel seems to have restocked on alliant powders. I was able to order everything I wanted this morning.

_________________
Don't panic bro.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powder Shortage - what gives?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:35 am 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:47 am
Posts: 5236
Location: Covington, WA USA
mountain4don wrote:
Republican wrote:
LongRanger wrote:
We as shotgun reloaders are better off than rifle shooters. Anything that is designed to burn in a .223 is almost impossible to find.

Ha! - have to tried to put your hands on any .22 LR ??? At this rate, the raccoons are going to take over the world !


I've had that problem too but I just switched to shooting them with 520 grain cast lead boolits from my 45-70 rifle using almost any powder laying around. And it does a good job of killing them. :mrgreen:

Good grief, - that'll get the neighbors attention. I was thinking of going the other direction, - back to "air". I've taken them with my RWS-48 .22 pellet gun, but you gotta be really good, and expect to jack that arm back a few times for multiple shots. Your arm may fall off after that, but you'll eventually have a dead coon. Life was much simpler with the CCI .22 LR subsonics in a scoped Remington Targetmaster 510, but it seems that I won't be doing that for a while. Have to save what stockpile I have of CCI .22 LR subsonics for the Zombies (or when the GF wants to go to the range with my Ruger Mark III Hunter).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powder Shortage - what gives?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:39 am 
Tournament Grade
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:25 pm
Posts: 168
Location: Texas by God
pak wrote:
Gamaliel seems to have restocked on alliant powders. I was able to order everything I wanted this morning.


My supplier told me last weekend getting the Alliant powders wouldn't be much of a problem. Hogdon on the other hand will be slower coming.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powder Shortage - what gives?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:09 pm 
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:54 pm
Posts: 459
Location: Amarillo, Texas
blue tick wrote:
pak wrote:
Gamaliel seems to have restocked on alliant powders. I was able to order everything I wanted this morning.


My supplier told me last weekend getting the Alliant powders wouldn't be much of a problem. Hogdon on the other hand will be slower coming.

I heard the same thing as well. I might have to switch over to Alliant powders. I use Hodgdon powders mostly, but it looks like Green dot, 20/28 and 410 for me. From the looks of the recipies, I could do just Green Dot and 410 as well, in a pinch.




Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], CCskeetr, cdbeagle, collins1707, cowpoke, Doc_K, elvas, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, John H, Ruber, smlekid, SSPYYDER, wildlew, Yahoo [Bot], Zepplin


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group     -  DMCA Notice