CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remember the Remington All-American Hull? Need HELP!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:25 am 
Utility Grade

I've got a gazillion of these old 12ga. hulls and want to reload them for target and dove hunting. I haven't reloading them in a coon's age and have lost the recipe and my old Remington guides. Has anyone got any old data from Remington that will help me with establishing a good starting load with some poplar powders. I plan on using the Winchester red wads and 1-1 1/8 oz. of shot. Seems years ago, I used approx. 17.5 grains 700X powder, Win. red wad, 1 1/8 oz. shot and a Remington 97* primer with this hull for near 1200 fps but I may be wrong. Any help will be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Remember the Remington All-American Hull? Need HELP!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:44 pm 
Limited Edition

Looking at old posts, if you are still in need, I can get my hands on all american data.. start a new post though pls

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:46 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

the load you mentioned is pretty close to what i used, (18gr 700x) using the waa12r wad will get you going with the 1 1/8 oz. shot. you can use 17 gr. red dot, clays, solo 1000.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:30 am 
Utility Grade

I also have a gazillion Remington All-American hulls that I would like to reload. What primer did you use in place of the Rem 97, or did you have the last stash of those left in the USA? Was there any Lyman data in the first edition for using WAA12 wads in the All-American? Thanks fellow shotgunners!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

heathkerr wrote:
What primer did you use in place of the Rem 97, or did you have the last stash of those left in the USA?

He couldn't have the last stash -- I've got several thousand gathering dust somewhere around here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Alliant powder has provided a recipe for the All-American hull using their Red Dot powder, Winchester WAA12R (red) wad, and the Remington 209P primer. 17 grains for 1145 fps and 18 grains for 1200 fps. Pressures were 9600 LUP and 10300 LUP respectively. If memory serves, the Remington 97 primer cannot be used with "ball powder" because the flash hole is open, right?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

heathkerr wrote:
If memory serves, the Remington 97 primer cannot be used with "ball powder" because the flash hole is open, right?

Yup.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:26 pm 
Utility Grade

I need help with the identity of a Remington Power Piston 12 guage wad. It is white plastic, just about 1 3/8 inches long (36mm), has three eliptical holes in the base, and a shotcup that measures 3/4 inch. There are four wad petals with ribs running up through the wad petals that stop just short of the top. I found these wads with 300 or so Remington All-American Hulls.

Remington has been no help because the say they don't provide reloading data. I'm not exactly sure how identifying one of their products constitutes reloading data, but I'm sure the lawyers have something to do with that.

Please help a newbie!

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:14 am 
Diamond Grade

Walt - Check your pm's.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:27 pm 
Utility Grade

Em Are Skeet wrote:
Walt - Check your pm's.

Hey Em Are Skeet, I wrote the message about the Remington wads, not Walt. Could you send whatever info you sent to Walt to me?

Thanks, heathkerr

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:54 pm 
Field Grade

Heathkerr,

The shot cup depth you describe sounds like it is the R12L wad designed for 1 oz loads but the R12L is a two tier leg wad. There are only two Rem wads that have single tier legs and both of them are for 1 1/4 oz shot...SP12 = shot cup depth is 15/16" and petals are only slit 1/2-way down, length is 1 9/16"; RP12 = shot cup is approx 1" deep and wad length is about 1 1/2". The R12H was designed for hi-velocity 1 1/8 oz loads but had a very narrow second tier leg section. The RXP wad is a 2-tier leg (1 1/8 oz) wad with a shot cup depth about 13/16" deep. The other wads are fig-8 or TGT12.....I think Rem discontinued one of their wads (w23694 - old designation but I'm not positive.....my first edition Lyman manual is up at my brother-in-law's house so I can't double check) Again, my best guess is that it is the 1 oz wad r12L (old designation is W29922) Sorry I can't be more help. The All American was my Dads favorite shell to load....he used the LAGE wad which was self adjusting and about 21 grs of PB with 1 oz shot....all of his loading manuals are up at my sisters house.....if you want I will get this info for you but it will take a few days.

Scauper

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:36 pm 
Utility Grade

scauper: We have made a positive I.D.!! It is the now defunct W23694. One of the fellow shooting/reloading enthusiasts scanned a page from an old Remington reloading catalog that had actual size images and info on all of the wads from 12 gauge to .410. I'm really looking forward to loading the All-Americans, just because they are cool, blue in color, old and should be a conversation starter, at the very least. I was born in 1967, so these hulls and wads are almost as old as I am.

Thanks very much for your helpful reply!

heathkerr :D

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:10 am 
Field Grade

heathkerr,

I believe the other designation for that Remington wad is: RPA.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:54 am 
Utility Grade

uplandish wrote:
heathkerr,

I believe the other designation for that Remington wad is: RPA.

Correct, RPA12.

heathkerr :)