CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Open Land for Shooting in DFW Area?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:32 pm 
Field Grade

This may be a silly question, but I am still pretty new to shotguns and just shooting in general.

I started hunting duck this past season with my brother and really enjoyed it. I ended up purchasing a couple guns during the latter part of the season. I've been wanting to take the guns out just to shoot them and become more familiar with them, but don't know of any place to go other than the lease which is 3 hours away. Does anyone know if there is open land in the Denton/Dallas area that allows shooting? Or if there are cheap leases available around here for just going on and shooting or for hunting things like rabbits? Any advice would be great. Just would like to take the guns out maybe once a month for some target practice or rabbit hunting. Thanks!

Post subject: re: Open Land for Shooting in DFW Area?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

1 hour west of you is the LBJ Grasslands. Area #3 allows target shooting. The rest of the area allows hunting. There is some GREAT rabbit hunting out there.
1 hour east of you is the Caddo Grasslands. Again great rabbit and squirrel hunting.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas/

Since I'm a heavy user of the Grasslands I ask that you clean up your hulls and leave the place cleaner than you found it and have a great time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:52 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks JLP, I appreciate the information. I would definitely cleanup when done...that's the way I was taught and that is how I will be teaching my kids. I'm wanting to find a place I can go to and enjoy and also take my son and daughter with me in a couple years when they get older. It seems hard to find any place to go shoot that isn't too far off. I've been wanting to get a cheap thrower but didn't want to spend $150 on one if I couldn't find someplace close to go and shoot that was quiet and safe. Guess that's the price of living close to the big city though.

Thanks again, I'm gonna take a look at that website!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Willy,
The folks at Elm Fork and Alpine Ranges have practice trap areas that are great for the kids.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:50 pm 
Field Grade

Do they have places for no shooting new shotgunners like me who wouldn't know the first thing about shooting traps?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Willy,
TXGolfer, TexNekked and I will be at Elm Fork tomorrow at 2:30 if you'd like to join us. We'll show you around the range.

If not then, be sure to make the Dominant Predator Shootout (I'll be announcing on the 1st of March) and we'll show you around then.

If you do decide to come tomorrow, our photos are in the gallery if you wonder who you're looking for.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:52 pm 
Field Grade

I would really enjoy meeting up with you guys one weekend, but won't be able to this weekend. I just got through fighting off a sinus infection and now my wife is sick, so I'm kid watching this weekend. We like to make illness a family thing and pass it around a few times. :)

How often do you go and how much does it normally cost? I'd actually love to meet up and see the range since I've never been to one and don't know what to expect.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: Arlington TX, home of the world famous Dallas Cowboys
Except during hunting seasons, you can usually find someone from this forum to go shoot a round of sporting clays with you at Elm Fork 'bout any weekend. Alpine may be a little harder; it's not as centrally located.

Prices at Elm Fork are posted at

http://www.elmfork.com/hours_&_pricing.htm

Alpine is marginally less expensive. Last time I was there a round of clays cost about $30, but the difference is generally negligible because there's a trapper to tip.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

JLP,

RE: LBJ/Caddo

Are there any detailed maps posted somewhere or should I order them from the forest service? The maps that you linked to seem intentionally vague. For instance, where is area #3 on the map?

Thanks,

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's easier just to order their map.