CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: re: cross eye dominant... solution
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am right handed, left eye dominant too,I've decided the easiest way to shoot trap is close the left eye.
But when I swap guns and shoot sporting with a feild stock pump I have no problem shooting both eyes open.
As soon as I go back to my monte carlo stock O/U trap gun I have the 2 clays,2 barrel thing going on,yet if I use my l feild stock semi at trap I can shoot both eyes open.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rhines - cross over stocks will work...particularly for someone like my friend Bill who lost vision in his right eye. But..its a pretty drastic solution for more simple eye dominance issues. They are expensive, hard to make strong in the wrist area, need a damn thick piece of wood to make it out of which pretty much consigns you to lower grades of wood, and the biggest issue is that they recoil the comb straight back into your face.

Lost vision or have extremely bad and uncorrectable vision in your shooting eye and can't switch to lefty, then yes...cross over is an option.

Simple eye dominance...either switch sides (which won't help balanced and/or switching dominance folks like me) or just slap a 1/10 of a cent piece of frapping tape on your lens.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: re: cross eye dominant... solution
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:50 pm 
Crown Grade

southgadog wrote:
Is this AA, i have a problem. Left eye right side. Grew up not knowing and somehow adjusted, because was not a bad shot. As the years passed I got not very good ( now 68 yrs. ) and bad. Feel embarrased on dove field. Still do ok on quail and such going away. I have tried everything. What i'm trying now is keeping both eyes open, and sick of the 2 barrels. I know don't look at the barrels but at target. So far it's not working ie shoulder gun look at target, then when i close my left eye to check the point it is to the left. I think I will start shooting alot of skeet and just maybe the ole me might make a comeback. Any help appreciated.

I would bet as penny that you have started flipping dominant eyes (AC-DC?). This sounds like you are starting to mount with one eye dominant and suddenly the other becomes dominant and that's why you wind up with the wrong out-of-focus barrel image pointing where you want to shoot. Your dominance flip-flops.

I think this is not uncommon in our age group. I now often shoot with my left eye closed even tho I lose some peripheral vision. Some guys wear a patch so you could look like the Hathaway Shirt guy or Major Whitehead instead of closing one eye and looking like a dork, like I do.

Yeah, the ole you will make a comeback. When you do, don't let anybody know, get into a match and bet ten bucks a bust. Then you can play pirate with your eye patch.

Good luck - let us know if this works

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

Most of ya'll are trying to solve a problem that chris288 does not have. There are many different kinds of eye dominance problems, with different solutions.

Chris288, Southgadog and myself see 2 barrels with both eyes open. Shooting the gun from the opposite shoulder will not change anything.

The occluder works. Whether tape, magic dot, grease, or paint, it doesn't matter. The occluder prevents us from seeing two barrels and solves that problem for us.

Chris, if you are having peripheral vision problems, experiment with both the size of the occluder and its position. Maybe that will help.

This "seeing-both-barrels" thing is an issue, something to be dealt with, not an excuse for poor shooting. There are many champions with the same or similar problems. Sooo, put the dot on, practice, and beat those two eyed shooters! :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:23 pm 
Crown Grade

dentexark wrote:
Most of ya'll are trying to solve a problem that chris288 does not have. There are many different kinds of eye dominance problems, with different solutions.

Chris288, Southgadog and myself see 2 barrels with both eyes open. Shooting the gun from the opposite shoulder will not change anything.

The occluder works. Whether tape, magic dot, grease, or paint, it doesn't matter. The occluder prevents us from seeing two barrels and solves that problem for us.

Chris, if you are having peripheral vision problems, experiment with both the size of the occluder and its position. Maybe that will help.

This "seeing-both-barrels" thing is an issue, something to be dealt with, not an excuse for poor shooting. There are many champions with the same or similar problems. Sooo, put the dot on, practice, and beat those two eyed shooters! :D

This is a non-issue.

EVERYBODY sees 2 barrels if both eyes are open! The only issue is which of these "ghost" image do you use? Image selection is automatic for most people and is determined by the dominant eye. If the dominant eye switches in mid-swing then you'll miss.

I have no idea what people are talking about when they say that seeing 2 barrels is an issue that needs to be dealt with and is not an excuse...?? IT IS PERFECTLY NORMAL TO SEE 2 BARRELS!!!!

I wonder how some people have been shooting shotguns if the concept of 2 barrels is a new one or if it is baffling.

If you think this is some mysterious property of gun barrels, try using a broomstick. It'll be the same. If you look at the end of the barrel (broomstick) you'll see one barrel (broomstick) but 2 targets. If you look at the target you'll see one target and two barrels (broomsticks)?

If you're shooting a shotgun with both eyes open and see only one barrel you are not shooting properly.

Where does all this confusion come from?

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:14 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks Pumpster and DT, a little confused now, not that your post are not clear i'm not sure which i am . I have printed this out to study and experiment. Hope to let you know how it turns out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:42 pm 
Field Grade

I just got my 870 Express out of Lay away today. As I shouldered it, I discovered this problem. I have co-dominant eyes. I tried the tape on the glasses thing, and to my amazement it worked like a charm. Before doing this, I thought to myself - how in the world will that work, but as I did it, I was focusing with the correct eye. As I said, utter amazement!

I am sure I will be a much better shot when I go out shooting soon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:33 am 
Tournament Grade

Pumpster wrote:
dentexark wrote:

This is a non-issue.

EVERYBODY sees 2 barrels if both eyes are open! The only issue is which of these "ghost" image do you use? Image selection is automatic for most people and is determined by the dominant eye. If the dominant eye switches in mid-swing then you'll miss.

I have no idea what people are talking about when they say that seeing 2 barrels is an issue that needs to be dealt with and is not an excuse...?? IT IS PERFECTLY NORMAL TO SEE 2 BARRELS!!!!

I wonder how some people have been shooting shotguns if the concept of 2 barrels is a new one or if it is baffling.

If you think this is some mysterious property of gun barrels, try using a broomstick. It'll be the same. If you look at the end of the barrel (broomstick) you'll see one barrel (broomstick) but 2 targets. If you look at the target you'll see one target and two barrels (broomsticks)?

If you're shooting a shotgun with both eyes open and see only one barrel you are not shooting properly.

Where does all this confusion come from?

Pumpster,
I can see where you are confused. If you don't personally have the problem of eye dominance that we have been discussing, then you simply don't understand and therefore can add nothing to the conversation.

To say this is a "non-issue" shows a complete lack of comprehension. With my occular in place, I can shoot straights. With-out it, I am lucky to break 10. It definately is an issue with me and others.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:03 am 
Presentation Grade

dentexark wrote:

Good post, right on target :shock: .... I'm going to try and reduce the size of the magic dot, that should help some w/ the pheripheral... just sucks, I feel i'm at a dis-advantage not being able to shoot with both eyes open and was hoping there was a cure...