Shotgun Forum banner

Remington 870 express barrels Question

6K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  curlyive 
#1 ·
I am looking to to add a 18" or 20" smooth bore barrel to a Remington 870 express 20 gauge. I want it for home defense buckshot and I currently only have a 26" smooth and 20" rifled.

cabellas support pointed this out:

Remington 870 Replacement Shotgun Barrels
Item number: QZ-212137
MODEL: 20GA.20-21"IMP.CYL
This item is in stock.
1 $159.99

Question is, is there a difference between a regular 870 barrel and and 870 express barrel?

#3 ·
Virginian said:
Well, a Wingmaster 870 barrel is gloss blue, and Express barrels are flat black. They'll all fit, but they may not match. A can of Rustoleum can mostly fix it though.
So is the cabellas model number QZ-212137 the same barrel as Remington's part #24578? That seems to be the hard thing to figure out. If it is, then I will just go with that

Are there other options for an 18 or 20" barrel for the shotgun I have?

#4 ·
per the Remington parts list -
Remington part #241886 is a 18.75" Vent Rib RemChoke 20 gauge Wingmaster bbl. for $160.
#241888 is an 18.5" EXPRESS RemChoke Vent rib bbl. w/ a full tube (Should match your gun.) for $144. And I think #241887 is with a MOD tube.
They also list some youth model matte bbls. and some fixed choke bbls. with rifle sights that should match. I don't see that Cabelas number on Remington's list. That #24578 you are looking at is a Wingmaster deer barrel with rifle sights from what I see. Download the spare parts list. A lot more barrels on there than on the extra barrels list.

#7 ·
Virginian said:
Remington part #241886 is a 18.75" Vent Rib RemChoke 20 gauge Wingmaster bbl. for $160.
#241888 is an 18.5" EXPRESS RemChoke Vent rib bbl. w/ a full tube (Should match your gun.) for $144. And I think #241887 is with a MOD tube.
They also list some youth model matte bbls. and some fixed choke bbls. with rifle sights that should match. I don't see that Cabelas number on Remington's list. That #24578 you are looking at is a Wingmaster deer barrel with rifle sights from what I see. Download the spare parts list. A lot more barrels on there than on the extra barrels list.
Wow, this is just what I was looking for. I think 241887 is exactly what I want....and I think I can change the choke tube on this one as well. How can I order one? If I call Remington, will they be able to tell me if it will fit and just let me order it directly?

I see there is a"***" in the code field on the parts list for most barres. What does that mean?

#8 ·
It'll fit, and it has choke tubes. I have no idea what the *** s are for. I never noticed them before. I have a parts list I downloaded that is actually newer than the one now on Remington's site, and they aren't on that one. You should be able to call and order it. Remington is usually cheaper on postage than anyone else, too.

#9 ·
Virginian said:
Well they were out of and no longer make the 241887, but I was able to order the 241888. It looks like it is the same barrel, but .25" longer and with a full choke. I want it for home defense, so I probably don't want to use a full choke. But since it is a RemChoke, it should be removable so I can put in a modified or improved cylinder. So am I correct in my assumption about being able to change the choke, and that this size barrel should be great for home defense?

#11 ·
Th3 *' are at the begining of each row, and are the same for each type of barre/choke combination.

This is the one i first asked for, but is no longer made or available:

*** 241887 V-3 870 BBL 20/18.5 RC VT EXPRESS (MOD CHOKE) 144.00

This is the one i got:

*** 241888 V-3 870 BBL 20/18.75 RC VT EXP FULL 144.00

Other than the choke and the 1/4" size difference, I think it is pretty much the same. But again, shouldn't I be able to change the choke? That's what they told me anyway, and I think the RC stands for RemChoke. The barrels with integrated chokes have say "fixed". Can anyone who has the parts list take a look at 241888 and let me know if I am correct on this? And again, this should be a good size for home defense?

#13 ·
RMc said:
RC stands for RemChoke.

There is nothing wrong with using a full choke with buckshot for Home Defense, however, you will be able to change the choke should you wish.
That was my assumption too. Makes sense that RC would be for RemChoke. I just wasn't sure if that was Remington's name for their interchangeable chokes. The parts lists are inconsistent in their notation and the guy on the phone seemed to know what he was talking about but who knows. Just seemed odd to me that they have an 18.5" and an 18.75" barrel with different chokes. Makes more sense to make just one in a single 18.5" length and include one choke with the option to buy more....less barrels they have to make! I will have the included full, and also an improved cylinder and modified to test out at the range with #2 and #3 buckshot.

I figured with a 26" for target shooting and bird/small game hunting, 20" rifled bore for deer and larger game, and the 18.75 for home defense, this 20 gauge should be able to do it all......or so I hope! Does this sound like a pretty good all purpose rig, even though it's 20 gauge?

#14 ·
You are correct, RC stands for RemChoke and you can change it to whatever you desire. And, with your array of barrels you are tied with me for number of 20 gauge barrels for one gun, except all mine are fixed choke. Don't get me wrong, I like choke tubes, but these pre-date that feature. I would say you are pretty well set to take on whatever strikes your fancy - or threatens your abode.

#15 ·
Virginian said:
You are correct, RC stands for RemChoke and you can change it to whatever you desire. And, with your array of barrels you are tied with me for number of 20 gauge barrels for one gun, except all mine are fixed choke. Don't get me wrong, I like choke tubes, but these pre-date that feature. I would say you are pretty well set to take on whatever strikes your fancy - or threatens your abode.
You made my night :mrgreen:

The only other thing I could add is a scope mount and scope....or a cantilevered barrel and scope.....hmmmm?????!!!!!! :lol:

#16 ·
If you do decide to go for a scope, I would go with the cantilever. My experience with mounts that use the receiver pin holes is that they do not fit tight enough in the holes and there is too much play to maintain accuracy. And I have seen too many buggered up receivers where they drilled and tapped them and then the mount pulled loose under recoil.

#17 ·
Virginian said:
If you do decide to go for a scope, I would go with the cantilever. My experience with mounts that use the receiver pin holes is that they do not fit tight enough in the holes and there is too much play to maintain accuracy. And I have seen too many buggered up receivers where they drilled and tapped them and then the mount pulled loose under recoil.
And they're ugly! :wink:

#18 ·
Virginian said:
Yes but a mount is about $40....a cantilever barrel is over $200. I'd give the mount a try first.

#19 ·
Here is an update and questions.

I called Remington because the barrel did not arrive after about 2 weeks. They told me the order was canceled because item #241888 was discontinued. While they looked for a similar barrel they found #241887. This was the barrel I originally tried to order but was told that one was discontinued. Thy seemed surprised I was told they. They said it was on backorder, but not discontinued. I put in the order, but who knows if I will get it....they never even bothered to notify my that my original order was canceled.

Question is, does anyone know if barrel #241887 on the parts list V-3 870 BBL 20/18.5 RC VT EXPRESS (MOD CHOKE) can take 3" shells? The reason I ask is that Midway has these two barrels available, but they can only take 2 3/4" shells.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=128102
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=665100

If the barrel I ordered from Remington (#241887) cannot accept 3" shells either, then it seems I might as well cancel that order and buy one from Midway that is in stock now.

#21 ·
curlyive said:
Here is an update and questions.

I called Remington because the barrel did not arrive after about 2 weeks. They told me the order was canceled because item #241888 was discontinued. While they looked for a similar barrel they found #241887. This was the barrel I originally tried to order but was told that one was discontinued. Thy seemed surprised I was told they. They said it was on backorder, but not discontinued. I put in the order, but who knows if I will get it....they never even bothered to notify my that my original order was canceled.

Question is, does anyone know if barrel #241887 on the parts list V-3 870 BBL 20/18.5 RC VT EXPRESS (MOD CHOKE) can take 3" shells? The reason I ask is that Midway has these two barrels available, but they can only take 2 3/4" shells.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=128102
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=665100

If the barrel I ordered from Remington (#241887) cannot accept 3" shells either, then it seems I might as well cancel that order and buy one from Midway that is in stock now.
The barrels listed on the MidwayUSA site have 3" chambers. The misprint is most likely the result of the barrel list having 16 and 28 gauge listings above and below it.

#23 ·
MOGC said:
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/PROD/remington-870-barrels/27599

I just bought this one from MGW for my wife's little 20 gauge 870 Express Youth Model gun and it is a peach. It is going to get a Leupold 2x7x33 VXII mounted on it and I'm sure with a little experimentation with loads she will be well armed for Ozark brush country whitetails. MGW has been great to deal with in my experience.
That is a nice barrel. But it is rifled, and not good for buckshot. I need a smoothbore. I called remington about the 241887 and they said it will take 3" shells. So I will wait and hope i get it. The ones on Midway's site that I posted only say 2 3/4" shells.

Why is this so hard to find and get!

#24 ·
Virginian said:
I thought all the Expresses, and I would assume the barrels for same, were 3". Remington stopped making the 2-3/4" 870s, except in target models, before the Expresses came out.
Perhaps given that the manufacture's part # they list is no longer on the parts spreadsheet, maybe it is an outdated barrel? I email Midway about both barrels I posted links to and they confirmed 2 3/4" only....they could be wrong though. But I think I hold out for the one Remington reps tell me is 3" compatible.

Only thing I do like is that the one barrel is plain fixed cylinder.....would that be better for home defense then a remchoke barrel with a I/C choke?

#26 ·
Unless you have some unsually long shots inside your house it really won't make much difference at all. The absolute longest straight shot in my home is 45' or 15 yards. The difference in pattern size between a cylinder and even a full choke at that range isn't enough to worry about. The shot pattern is still grapefruit size regardless of the choke. Personally, I would opt for the Remchoke barrel over the fixed choke for the all around versatility.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.