Shotgun Forum banner

Most lethal Shotgun Ammo

13K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  Anonymous 
#1 ·
I just bought a new Winchester 1300 Home Defender, and want to know if anyone knows what is the most lethal ammo for this shotgun?

#2 ·
I don't mean this to sound flippant, but the most lethal shot is the one that hits the target. Almost any shotgun of whatever gauge is a guaranteed manstopper at short/medium range.

In terms of shot size, probably twos or threes would be very discouraging to anyone walking West into an Eastward shot stream. 00 Buck kills man sized animals pretty well too.

Eug

G
#4 ·
Mesure the longest shot you would have inside your home, then get a watermelon and shoot it out side at that distance (20-25 feet)-- with a trap load of 7 1/2's then decide if this would stop a man. Buckshot will do the job but will go through a sheet rock wall and kill some one you don't want to hit. :cry: JB

#5 ·
When you say most lethal...to what do you want to know about...I'm assumming your talking about in a home defense situation...but your not really asking the right questions to get a good response...try to be more specific...what type of situation are your wanting to know about in general...home defense...against 2 legged attackers or in the wild ...against 4 legged creatures....

There are many types of ammo to use out of your Winchester against both types of targets....some better than others,depending on where your doing your shooting at...but most would still need to know what your defending yourself against,and you would still have to pattern your gun to see how each shoots from it..and if you can control the recoil enough to be accurate with it.

Mac

#8 ·
Inside an apartment or house # 7-1/2 or max. #6's. Very lethal in close quarters without the danger of killing innocent people. Do some testing, you will be surprized in the power of bird shot.
Rob

#9 ·
Shotguns are extremely versital tools that can do many different jobs. Their is no simple answer to what ammo is "Most Lethal", because the answer is different for different tasks. That's why there are so many different shot sizes and loads available. 000 Buckshot isn't worth a dern for Quail hunting, and #9 shot wouldn't be my first choice for home defence. Specialty loads, from high explosive, incindiary rounds, magnisium flairs, etc... to common lightly recoiling clay target loads, to rifled slugs are available. Each may be the best for one specific use or another. If you tell us what task you want the ammunition to perform, we'd have a lot better chance of helping you make a good choice.

#10 ·
PGP, PLEASE take a safety course. You will be wiser for it. Unless you are expecting a home invasion today or tomorrow, there are many other more important things you need to learn than ammo power. All 12 ga ammo is dangerous. If you read SGW every day, go through the different forums here, you will begin to get an education on a broad scope about shotuns and their lawful use. Please do, and Welcome to SGW. Please keep asking questions, we will answer what we can, but most of all, SAFETY FIRST!!

#12 ·
My home defense choices in order are #1 buckshot, #4 buckshot, 00 buckshot, #2 bird shot, slugs, 00 buckshot, any other bird shot. I flip betweeen #1 and #4 buckshot depending on if it's an apartment/trailer (#4) or house (#1). At home ranges (short!) my shot pattern is at most salad plate size, more like cup saucer size. If the bad person is hit penetration problems disappear. If you miss, #4 penetrates less than #1 which penetrates less than 00. Any of the three will stop a person jacked up on drugs - you may have to empty the shotgun, but that's life.

Critters in the woods - SLUGS! The way out penetrate and break bone vs buckshot.

#13 ·
Sorry I did not log in before. Thank you Idaho Bob for backing me up. I would hope a senior law inforcement officer or an attorney would jump in on this. You need to know the ramifications of using a firearm are,even in your own home. Some states can be real &#&#*'s. JB

#14 ·
Absolutly the most effective shell for home defence is the one you never have to shoot. For that reason the pump shotgun is the best home defence fire arm ever devised. Just the sound of the shell going into the chamber ends almost all confrontations. This gives a family the ability to stay hidden in a bedroom and politly ask the intruder to leave ca-chunk-ca-chunk stile.
Also for inside the home one never wants to use anything larger that 7-1/2 or 8 shot or the colatteral dammage could be to high a price to pay.

tom

#16 ·
my personal opinion is for home defense 7 1/2s dont have the knock down power that pistol grip pump asked about.
he asked,What type of shotgun ammo would stop a 6'5" 250lb. guy on LSD inside of an apartment?
I would go with at least a #4. that would give some good knock down power, and i dont think overpenatrtion though the walls would be an issue.
but thats my OPINION.
Mike.

#17 ·
There was an autopsy picture (not pretty) a while ago that showed a guy shot with #4 duck loads. It took him three shots to kill himself. He was average size. I would go with at least #1 buck for home defense.

G
#19 ·
Good choice. You should always consider the aftermath of a shooting from the leagal stand point. Like what were you, a city dweller who has never hunted doing with '00' buck in your shotgun. Must have been looking to kill someone , hunh.

On the other hand 'target loads' don't have the same aura about them.

For storage of your shotgun get a couple of hooks and hang it out of reach where you can get it quickly. Mine is over the bedroom door, magazine loaded, nothing in the chamber.
grab, run action, your ready.... hopefully never have to though.

Goldy

#20 ·
Also remember that whenever it would become necessary to fire a wepon for home defence, it would require a face to face confrontation,,,,,, they may have a gun too :shock:

GIVE THE INTRUDER THE OPERTUNITY TO LEAVE if possable.

tom

#21 ·
I agree with the bird shot being more "leathal" than people think.
useing my 20gauge at close range it will put 7 1/2 bird shot through a truck door, and #3 buckshot at the same range just bounced off leaving a big dent instead of a hole. (I have a picture, just need a place to host)
I need to buy a variety of ammo types for the 12 gauge and "play" around with distances and target types to see what I want to use as a HD round.

#24 ·
asylum keeper said:
I agree with the bird shot being more "leathal" than people think.
useing my 20gauge at close range it will put 7 1/2 bird shot through a truck door, and #3 buckshot at the same range just bounced off leaving a big dent instead of a hole. (I have a picture, just need a place to host)
I need to buy a variety of ammo types for the 12 gauge and "play" around with distances and target types to see what I want to use as a HD round.
asylum keeper, with all due respect, he wants to know about shooting a man,(if the need arise's) not a pick up in his house. flesh and truck doors are two completely different things.
Mike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.