CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SLUGS AND FULL CHOKES?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:44 pm 
Field Grade

Ok, I've been around rifles and pistols for a good many years. Shotguns not so much. Now I own a sauer and sohn drilling. I've just run across some references on the internet that indicate rifled slugs in a full choke is a bad thing. I need some advice here boys. Is this truth, half-truth, nonsense, what?

Post subject: Re: SLUGS AND FULL CHOKES?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

The Foster type of rifled slug is soft and may be used in any shotgun which can safely shoot shotshells. No guarantee on the accuracy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:03 pm 
Field Grade

One has to keep in mind that slug barrels didn't come along till maybe the mid 50's ? Prior to that deer hunters [where shotguns only were allowed] used slugs in whatever choke was in their guns and usually the full choke was the most predominantly produced choke in field guns.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:16 pm 
Field Grade

hawkeye4771 wrote:
One has to keep in mind that slug barrels didn't come along till maybe the mid 50's ? Prior to that deer hunters [where shotguns only were allowed] used slugs in whatever choke was in their guns and usually the full choke was the most predominantly produced choke in field guns.

Brenneke indicates not using their slugs in full choke shotguns. Remington, which is what i currently have, recommends cylinder choke but says full is acceptable. I'm guessing their sluggers are are a fosters type slug.

I've been shooting remington in the full choke tube and then freaked when I encounted some references on the internet indicated slugs could be dangerous in full choke barrels. Call it panic.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:48 am 
Presentation Grade

The common U.S.-produced rifled slug loads all use Foster style slugs. The sabot type loads use a bullet encapsuled in a plastic sleeve or sabot. Those only work in rifled barrels.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:23 am 
Tournament Grade

About chokes and using slugs in them - different person, different oppinion. Here is a web-site of manufacurer, and it is declare that Brenneke (Classic) slug can be used in with and without choke:
http://www.brenneke-munition.de/cms/classic.html?&L=1

The first post was very clever and accurate - ALL rifled slugs can be shot from full chokes, because riflings on slug deformating when the slug is going to the choke. But, there is some things, which must be important - if the gun is 80 years (or older), especially with full choke (can't say that you will damage 100% your barrel), but you can damage your barrels.

Finally, that is true - that if you fire a slug from chokes barrel - accuracy will not bevery good. So, if your gun is technically OK - fire Frester, Brenneke (and other rifled stuff) from your chokes barrels. If you have an old side by side - think about it more carefully.

P.S. this is a web-link of ammunition manufacturer in Latvia (small country near Lithuania). It is making only cartridges loaded with slugs. It is interesting thing, that all its slugs can be shot from choked barrels AND exeption is that manufacturer declares, that fired from choked barrels results (accuracy) is even better ! So, not all slugs is danger and panic from full choke and so...
http://www.ddupleks.lv/EN/articles/show/products

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:22 am 
Field Grade

For sonder and all the posters who answered my post, thank you. Based on what you guys told me I went and did some homework. I'm guessing I can use foster type slugs in a full choke barrel.

I'll explain my situation more clearly. I have a brand new, 25 year old sauer and sohn drilling that came to me in unused condition. The left barrel is full choke, the right is modified. I've only had the opportunity to use and site in the remington slug so far. It's barely adequate at 50 yards with the left barrel and not really at all out of the right barrel. It's deer season right now and I haven't time to sight in/try the winchesters I just came across and I'll have to order what I wanted all along..........the brenneke.

I noticed something rather odd about the brenneke. On their website they indicated their foster type slug, KO, is ok for full choke bores. On the midwayusa they only recommend their KO slugs for cylinder and improved cylinger chokes. I'm guessing that's for accuracy and not for blowing up shotguns. I did run across references to such on the internet. That's what caused me to panic.

So, according to you guys I can still slug out of my full choke and live to tell the tale. I panicked for no reason. I do appreciate you information.

from the brenneke website.
Calibre: 12 GA 2 ¾”
Weight: 437 grs, 28,4g
Game: deer, wild boar, coyote
barrel: smooth and rifled
chokes: all
range: up to 60 yards

The KO is one of the least expensive slugs on the market.

from the midwayusa website.
•Only use Brenneke slugs in modern shotguns known to be in good condition.
•Make sure you use the proper length cartridge (2 3/4 inch or 3 inch) your gun is designed for.
•Make certain you know if you are shooting a rifled or smoothbore barrel, and using the proper slug. Check with the gun's manufacturer if necessary.
•When using a screw-in choke, make sure it is tightened securely. Brenneke recommends chokes no tighter than cylinder bore or improved cylinder when shooting their slugs.
•Maximum range of a slug is up to 2000 yards! Be certain of what's behind your target.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:59 am 
Field Grade

Sonder, I just checked out the ddpleks website. Wow. What an eye opener. I think I've just looked into slug future. Absolutely amazing. I'm adding those to my list of slugs to try out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:05 am 
Tournament Grade

Use rifled slugs (as Brenneke, Foster) and shoot them. In the Eastern Europe is known a Russian slug "Polev's" - it is "wearing" a plastic case - slugs, whose are "wearing" plastic cases - are able to shoot from chokes, too.
So, you can shoot slugs from choked barrel, but firstly, you must choose correct slug before start using it.

I don't know, what's about USA, but in Europe on the market are 90% slugs, which can be shot from chokes, because many of them have riflings or are in plastic cases.

Dutchman01, watch this video: http://www.ddupleks.lv/EN/articles/show/m32-bush-test - a DDuPleks Monolit slugs are designed to not rikochet or change a flying road firing it from bushes or so.

However, where are you from ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:31 am 
Field Grade

Sonder wrote:
Use rifled slugs (as Brenneke, Foster) and shoot them. In the Eastern Europe is known a Russian slug "Polev's" - it is "wearing" a plastic case - slugs, whose are "wearing" plastic cases - are able to shoot from chokes, too.
So, you can shoot slugs from choked barrel, but firstly, you must choose correct slug before start using it.

I don't know, what's about USA, but in Europe on the market are 90% slugs, which can be shot from chokes, because many of them have riflings or are in plastic cases.

Dutchman01, watch this video: http://www.ddupleks.lv/EN/articles/show/m32-bush-test - a DDuPleks Monolit slugs are designed to not rikochet or change a flying road firing it from bushes or so.

However, where are you from ?

I appreciate your information. After hunting season I'll be spending more time trying out new slugs, and buckshot for that matter. I'm very interested in the breneke and your latvian slugs.

I live in northwestern arkansas. I hunt the ozark mountains. Typical game around here amounts to bear, turkey, squirrel, and deer. The country is quite rugged and in some areas covered with thick vegetation and sometimes quite open in those areas with mature trees. I consider this drilling to be a very nearly perfect hunting firearm for here, once I figure out the correct ammunition for the correct game.

Again, I thank you all for your input. This is a very good forum for information.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:48 am 
Tournament Grade

You are welcome !

By the way, Latvian ammunition (DDupleks) is very good, but I don't know if is it to buy in the USA. Chech your ammunition market.

Yes, I agree - combination gun, as a drilling - very good at the hunt.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:59 am 
Field Grade

Sonder wrote:
You are welcome !

By the way, Latvian ammunition (DDupleks) is very good, but I don't know if is it to buy in the USA. Chech your ammunition market.

Yes, I agree - combination gun, as a drilling - very good at the hunt.

I've already got a bead on that one, pard.

http://www.jgsales.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=129

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:25 am 
Tournament Grade

When - it's OK.. :!: Fun :!:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dutchman,
If you have a drilling, it must come with a rifle barrel. If you plan on using a slug as a follow up or a finishing shot, why not stick the slug in your more open barrel and increase it's accuracy and use the full tube for buck thus improving it's pattern density and effectiveness. Also I think the recomendation that your slug is good for coyote and deer is highly pessimistic. 470+ grns will take near anything in the lower 48.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

{hs#
Dutchman
Yes I agree with some of the posts above on smooth bore shotgun barrels, rifled slugs forster type Remington or Winchester can be fired through full choke barrels.
I have done it plenty of times years ago when sighting in my 12 gauge smooth bore barrel on my Ithaca 37 pump shotgun for deer season with a full choke made into the barrel.
I will agree that through a modified choke they are more accurate, and even better through improved cylinder choke.
Practice with it and you will do alright.
I have to use shotguns in New Jersey for deer and bear with rifled slugs or buckshot, and for years I killed many a deer at 50 to 75 yards using rifled slugs and a smooth bore barrel with a full choke.
Now I use a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge with a smooth bore with sights on the barrel, and a improved cylinder choke tube in the barrel.
I do pretty good with that to.
Enough practice with a smooth bore barrel and a full choke installed in the barrel you will do fine.
Get out and shoot.
Fred

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:43 pm 
Field Grade

heelerman wrote:
Dutchman,
If you have a drilling, it must come with a rifle barrel. If you plan on using a slug as a follow up or a finishing shot, why not stick the slug in your more open barrel and increase it's accuracy and use the full tube for buck thus improving it's pattern density and effectiveness. Also I think the recomendation that your slug is good for coyote and deer is highly pessimistic. 470+ grns will take near anything in the lower 48.

Well, the modified choke barrel threw the remington slug fully two feet below poa at 50 yards for starters. Also I can use the rifle sight for the full choke, assuming I can find a slug that will shoot properly out of that barrel. In the end I will settle on a slug that works well in any barrel. With the remingtons I'm presently using that's the full choke barre it's at the right elevation and a few inches to the right. I can kentucky windage that well enough. Truth be known I'm hoping for better than I presently have, no offence against remington.

As for the slug being adequate for deer. The area I hunt is rugged, often heavily wooded, thickly choaked with undergrowth interspersed with more open areas in the areas of mature mixed hardwood and evergreens. It's wild country. Slug guns are popular around here. Lots of folks still use them. Hell, shotguns were just about all my grandfathers used.

With the drilling I have an option of using either the rifle, slug, or even buckshot depending on where I'm at at the moment. I even have the option of using a scope, on german claw mounts, when still hunting in the more open areas. I generally don't have the scope mounted on the way to or from my stand. I guess I just took the long winded way to say the rifle may not be my first choice.

Last edited by Dutchman01 on Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:48 pm 
Field Grade

Freds484 wrote:
{hs#
Dutchman
Yes I agree with some of the posts above on smooth bore shotgun barrels, rifled slugs forster type Remington or Winchester can be fired through full choke barrels.
I have done it plenty of times years ago when sighting in my 12 gauge smooth bore barrel on my Ithaca 37 pump shotgun for deer season with a full choke made into the barrel.
I will agree that through a modified choke they are more accurate, and even better through improved cylinder choke.
Practice with it and you will do alright.
I have to use shotguns in New Jersey for deer and bear with rifled slugs or buckshot, and for years I killed many a deer at 50 to 75 yards using rifled slugs and a smooth bore barrel with a full choke.
Now I use a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge with a smooth bore with sights on the barrel, and a improved cylinder choke tube in the barrel.
I do pretty good with that to.
Enough practice with a smooth bore barrel and a full choke installed in the barrel you will do fine.
Get out and shoot.
Fred

I've spent years shooting pistols and rifles. I now find myself with a firearm that's 2/3rds shotgun. I've got a lot to learn. You guys are helping. Check out that latvian website. Those slugs are increadible. And as sonder indicated they seem to indicate they are better with full choke than more open ones. Remarkable.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

:lol:
DUTCHMAN01
I did not know you shot rifles.
I love rifles, have 9 and only 7 shotguns.
I would never use a shotgun on deer or bear if I had a choice, rifle is the way to go.
The $hit State Of New Jersey that I live in only permits shotguns for deer or bear.
When I hunt deer or bear in New York or Pennsylvania, I use high power rifles that is the way I think big game should be taken.
I love my shotguns but only think they should be used for small game, waterfowl, turkey and sporting clays.
If you are a rifle man I think you will agree taking big game with a high power rifle is the way to go.
Enjoy your shotguns and slugs its new to you, keep shooting and be safe.
Fred

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dutchman01 wrote:

With the drilling I have an option of using either the rifle, slug, or even buckshot depending on where I'm at at the moment. I even have the option of using a scope, on german claw mounts, when still hunting in the more open areas. I generally don't have the scope mounted on the way to or from my stand. I guess I just took the long winded way to say the rifle may not be my first choice.

What caliber is the rifle barrel?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:12 pm 
Field Grade

papaac wrote:
Dutchman01 wrote:

What caliber is the rifle barrel?

30-06