CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stoeger semi-auto 20 gauge
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:57 am 
Presentation Grade

Will they ever make one? I wonder why they don't.

Post subject: Re: Stoeger semi-auto 20 gauge
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You would think they would, the 2000 would make a good platform for a 20 Ga, and the people who own them seem to like them a lot. If they made the frame to scale it would probably be a decent seller.

cdb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:33 am 
Limited Edition

I have been waiting on one since the 2000 came out...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:58 am 
Crown Grade

If you want a nice 20 in the same price range with a better system go to www.weatherby.com
and look at the SA-08. It uses a Beretta type gas system. They can be purchased for way less than list.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:37 am 
Presentation Grade

there must be something about the 20ga semi auto that causes them not to make one. weatherby and mossberg sub their 20 ga semi's out to Turkish manufacture. Berreta has stopped making the 3901 20 ga. either it is a sales volume issue or they are harder to make than a 12ga. one of my hot stove league thoughts has been that the 12ga develops more gas volume so it is easier to build a reliable gun and that it takes a better machined gun to make a 20 ga work due to less gas volume. the Franchi 48L and the Benelli Montefeldro are recoil operated and have high quality machining. the Winchester SX3 and Browning Silver are gas operated but again higher quality machining which equals higher cost. that leaves the Remington 1100 which keeps chugging along with somethng in between for machining and cost. so my thinking is that for a manufacture trying to be in the lower tier for pricing their only choice is to out source to Turkey or a country with similar labor costs. Stoeger is part of the Benelli consortium so they could go overseas for manufacture but if it takes higher quality machining to get a 20ga to operate reliably that may be hard for them to find.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:56 am 
Crown Grade

TR Imports offers a newly designed 20 ga. SA called the Silver Eagle. It's a good looking gun made by Kral in Turkey. Apparently a fellow shooting this gun finished first in a FL sporting clays tournament last year.

I bought the older version 12 ga. Silver Eagle this summer and had problems with it cycling low pressure loads. I sent it back to TRI, they fixed it, and now it will shoot anything I feed it. It's a well-made, attractive gun, and was inexpensive to buy.

The new and improved 20 ga. version comes with 2 gas pistons for heavy & light loads and shims. I see one listed on GB for $352.99 NIB.

I'm waiting for someone to buy one and give us a review.

CORRECTION: The gun on GB is a 12 ga.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:48 am 
Presentation Grade

I have an SX3 20 gauge and a CZ 720. I was going to get the Weatherby but did not want to mess with two pistons. Almost bought the Mossberg too but too many people have trouble with them cycling 7/8 oz loads. If I buy another inexpensive 20 semi it will be a TriStar Viper or the TR Import.