CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Black powder shot shells?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:11 pm 
Field Grade

Is there any place to buy them or are they strickly roll your own these days?

Post subject: Re: Black powder shot shells?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gamebore used to load a black powder shell and Brownells carried them but I checked and they seem to be discontinued. :(
gadcustomcartridges.com will custom load shotshells for you but they are very pricey... $45 per box of 25 for brass shells. :shock:
Ballistic Products carries the materials to roll your own, probably your best choice. :roll:

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Sure, Google is your friend.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:56 am 
Presentation Grade

i haven't loaded BP shells for a few yrs. i used basically the same load i was using in my muzzleloader shotgun to start with paper shells. they didn't crimp right in my Mec 650 because i didn't have the right dies. so i switched to old Federal Gold Medals. i could only load them once because the plastic became brittle from the heat of the BP. later i found some loads using fiber or cork Alcan wads. they were cheap to pick up at gun shows. i gave all the info i had away when i sold the shotgun to the guy that bought the gun. if you do a search for SxS shoots in your area you should find some shoots for old classic SxS's. you should find some guns there shooting BP shells that will be more than willing to share their knowledge on loading BP shells. you might also check for black powder cartridge shoots because there are usually a few of those guys shooting BP shotguns as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes, plastic hull black powder reloads are only good for 1 shot, maybe 2 at the most. Due to the heat, small pinholes are burned through.

Google circle-fly wads for loading and wad data, they are relatively inexpensive.

Just make sure that your gun has 2 3/4" chambers, not the older "standard" of 2 1/2" or 2 9/16" chambers.

Just remember to use a BRASS non-sparking black powder measure, and 27 1/3 grains = 1 dram, so you can use "dram" data with the same weight of shot that you see on shotshell boxes for loads.

A favorite load of mine is 3 drams (82 grains) of black powder, an overpowder wad, a fiber cushion wad topped with 1 oz. of shot for a 12 gauge. Any shotgun primer will work, as black powder ignites easily.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:40 pm 
Field Grade

The shotgun is a Winchester 1893, 12 ga. 2-1/2" chamber. I just bought it last night. This isn't a piece that I want to shoot allot but I still want to shoot it. I found a few places online that have shells. A bit pricey as lcsmith26 mentioned but for the little bit I'll shoot her I'll buy a box or two.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:20 pm 
Crown Grade

These US based guys list various Gamebore black powder loads that one can order by phone.

http://mashburnssafarimilitarygoods.com/shotgunshells.aspx

Eug

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

If the gun is in good condition you can shoot 2.5" low pressure nitro loads in the gun, like those available from RST.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:18 am 
Crown Grade

Come on, guys, get brave - all you have to do is cut down some hulls to 2 1/2" and reload 'em...

Too many wusses around here!

BobK