CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cz canvasback?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:59 pm 
Field Grade

How good is the CZ Canvasback for a hunting gun? Not trap or skeet but just purely hunting in the fall of the year for Pheasants, Grouse, and Huns. I just want to know how people like them or why they don't like them. I don't want replies on this saying how bad the brand is but actually first or second hand experiences with the CZ Canvasback itself.

Thanks,
Zachary

"double barrel shotgun see if ya got one, Weatherby and Browning are a couple hot ones, there's two different kinds you can buy an over under or side by side, just don't use a pump here's why not, if it jams you wont get a second shot."

Post subject: Re: cz canvasback?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:17 pm 
Crown Grade

You're aware that's an extractor gun?

Also, the brand does matter, because companies don't make a bunch of totally different O/Us. The biggies might have a few families (e.g., Citori, Cynergy for Browning; 680-series, SV, DT and SO for Beretta), but within a family the differences are typically cosmetics, barrels and stocks, if even all of those. So asking only about a particular model is like insisting that you only want to hear from people who have the 2-door version of a car with leather seats, when the 4-door with fabric seats is the same car.

Last edited by BarryD on Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You might try on the Huglu forum.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The canvasback is made in Turkey along with all the other CZ shotguns. The definition of insanity is expecting different results from doing the same thing. You just started a very similar thread about CZs and it ran three pages. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=296346 Then there is this one that you started. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=296344.
Either you just need to buy one, or maybe you already have, and see how it works out.

Good luck, Mark

Last edited by oregunner on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Zach:

I think you may have posted a similar question on another thread. I'd recommend the following over the Canvasback:

Lanber ($600)
Winchester 101 (new models made in Belgium by FN Herstal) ($1000)
Franchi Instinct L ($1000-$1100)

or:

used Beretta White Onyx, Black Onyx, or Silver Pigeon ($1000 and up)
used Browning Citori 20 gauge ($1000 and up)
used or new-old-stock SKB ($1000 and up)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:54 pm 
Crown Grade

There's an Onyx 12 Gauge in the Classifieds right now, asking price $1050, claimed condition like new.

26.5" barrels, but for the stated purpose, that would be good. It's a far better gun than the CZ, it will retain its value much better, is nice and light, and it has auto ejectors.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:46 am 
Crown Grade

VTHokiesDuckHunter wrote:
Zach:

I think you may have posted a similar question on another thread. I'd recommend the following over the Canvasback:

Lanber ($600)
Winchester 101 (new models made in Belgium by FN Herstal) ($1000)
Franchi Instinct L ($1000-$1100)

or:

used Beretta White Onyx, Black Onyx, or Silver Pigeon ($1000 and up)
used Browning Citori 20 gauge ($1000 and up)
used or new-old-stock SKB ($1000 and up)

This are really good suggestions. Also if you don[t mind double triggers there are older berettas called BL-4. The number like 4 is just the wood and engraving so there are 3 , 4 , 5, etc. Great hunting guns. these can go from 400 to 1,000.

I've had a cz bobwhite. Gun worked fine. Only problem is triggers suck, super heavy and gritty. Expect to need a trigger job. The thing with the huglu guns is their price keeps climbing every year. Its a fine gun for 500 but once you get up around 800 you could get something better.

Consider the cz mallard for 500 just about anywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For tromping around hunting Pheasants, grouse & huns I think the C-Back is a little on the heavy side, I sure would not want to be lugging mine around all day long, after 3-4 hours carrying right at 8 & 1/2 pounds of gun, it would feel like shouldering a back axle of a truck. :lol: :lol: For plopping your backside down and shooting doves, or ducks/Geese, it would be fine, I really doubt you would ever put the rounds through one hunting that I have shooting clays with mine.

cdb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:21 am 
Field Grade

cdb1097 wrote:
For tromping around hunting Pheasants, grouse & huns I think the C-Back is a little on the heavy side, I sure would not want to be lugging mine around all day long, after 3-4 hours carrying right at 8 & 1/2 pounds of gun, it would feel like shouldering a back axle of a truck. :lol: :lol: For plopping your backside down and shooting doves, or ducks/Geese, it would be fine, I really doubt you would ever put the rounds through one hunting that I have shooting clays with mine.

cdb

i carry a benelli nova right now and its 8 1/2 or better with the gun, 5 shells in it and 5 shells on the stock and an after market extended choke. i can carry the thing 13-14 hours a day deer hunting and yes im always the unlucky one that has to do all the pushes while my dad and his friends post. so weight is no problem for me. i carry an 11 1/2 pound competition .223 for coyote hunting stands and that doesn't even bother me. i grew up with heavy guns and anything light just feels hollow to me and has too much recoil when your pounding out 3" steel loads as fast as you can to drop them geese like rain.

"double barrel shotgun see if ya got one, Weatherby and Browning are a couple hot ones, there's two different kinds you can buy an over under or side by side, just don't use a pump here's why not, if it jams you wont get a second shot."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:46 pm 
Crown Grade

zachary0477 wrote:
cdb1097 wrote:

cdb

i carry a benelli nova right now and its 8 1/2 or better with the gun, 5 shells in it and 5 shells on the stock and an after market extended choke. i can carry the thing 13-14 hours a day deer hunting and yes im always the unlucky one that has to do all the pushes while my dad and his friends post. so weight is no problem for me. i carry an 11 1/2 pound competition .223 for coyote hunting stands and that doesn't even bother me. i grew up with heavy guns and anything light just feels hollow to me and has too much recoil when your pounding out 3" steel loads as fast as you can to drop them geese like rain.

WHy not get a 20 ga? its soooo much better for upland hunting. Keep the nova for 12 ga duty like coyote and waterfowl. The 20 ga mallard for example is 6.5 lbs. cz website is basically always wrong on weight. 5 cz and all of them are 1/2 a lb heavier then it says. THe slender frame is also much more pleasant to carry all day.

After I carried my franchi 48 at a slender 5lbs 9oz I would never go back to a big bulky and heavy 12. I started with an 8lb 12 gauge, sure I could carry it all day, it wasn't fun. Plus do you carry it on a sling all day?I carry the franchi in my hands ready to kill at every moment. My 12 only comes out for sitting on my butt hunting coyote.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have the CZ Wingshooter,I use it hunting and sporting clays. It's never failed me yet at either. It's a little lighter than the Cback that's why I chose it. I agree with Cdb that a 8lb+ gun might get a little heavy at the end of a day a field.

Post subject: cz canvasback?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

I don't think anyone will think you less of a man for opting for the lighter upland gun. I've carried big guns on upland hunts, and it's not that I physically couldn't hoist it, but rather that I wasn't willing to carry it at the ready for a flushing bird. I've slung 12 lb guns over my shoulder, but with a 7 lb gun, I can carry it in front of me all day, mile after mile, and be ready for that rooster that won't hold. It's hard to carry even a 9 lb gun at the ready (not resting it on a shoulder) on a 1.5 mile walk through thick cover.

I've been the guy, who at the end of a 5 mile quail hunt, still had a grin on his face and was ready for more, because I opted for a 6 lb gun. On that same day I saw the guy with the 10 lb gun ready to load up and head home.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:58 pm 
Field Grade

stockranger wrote:
zachary0477 wrote:
cdb1097 wrote:

cdb

WHy not get a 20 ga? its soooo much better for upland hunting. Keep the nova for 12 ga duty like coyote and waterfowl. The 20 ga mallard for example is 6.5 lbs. cz website is basically always wrong on weight. 5 cz and all of them are 1/2 a lb heavier then it says. THe slender frame is also much more pleasant to carry all day.

After I carried my franchi 48 at a slender 5lbs 9oz I would never go back to a big bulky and heavy 12. I started with an 8lb 12 gauge, sure I could carry it all day, it wasn't fun. Plus do you carry it on a sling all day?I carry the franchi in my hands ready to kill at every moment. My 12 only comes out for sitting on my butt hunting coyote.

i carry the nova 12ga all day in my hand i cant stand slings with the gun getting hung up constantly in the brush. the nova is a heavy gun but i can honestly say i dont even feel it in my hand when im hunting because i love how the gun feels and i have carried it on 12-13 hour grouse & hun hunts and i never once thought about a lighter gun. i carried my dads beretta over under 20ga that is less than 6 pounds and i didnt like it because it didnt feel like a real gun in my hands and was too light for me, i know that sounds stupid but i cant stand light guns on long hunts.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:18 pm 
Crown Grade

I have a CZ Ringneck SxS in a side plate looking gun. No trouble at all. It is now becoming one of my guns that take for small birds.
I know you have a O/U. But for hunting I'm sure it will be a good gun.

I also have a CZ 550 Varmint laminate .308 that a very nice shooter.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Might aswell just stick with that nova. Its a good gun and it sounds like it works well for you. You will likely kill more birds and targets by just shooting more shells out of the nova and maybe taking a lesson then having to get used to a new gun.