CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shotgun Scopes vs. Rifle scopes
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

What is the difference between them. I heard that it is simply a matter parallax. Then again I also heard that shotgun scopes are built differently to suit the different type of recoil. I do not know what to believe and I'm kind of confused on the subject. Anyone have any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Shotgun Scopes vs. Rifle scopes
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:35 am 
Field Grade

stoogots

Most shotgun scopes have the parallax adjusted to either 50 or 75 yards, depending on the manufacture. Most rifle scopes are either 100 or 125 yards. Anthor difference between rifle and shotguns scopes will be eye relief. Shotguns scopes will be farther back by a few inches, mainly do to the recoil and the location of them on the gun to the shooter. Most of the better scopes are tested to take abuse from a 375 H&H rifle. The recoil from a 12 gauge slug is about the same, so a good quaility scope is a must.

To my understanding, rifle, handgun, and shotgun scopes are made the same way. Each manufacturer will do special things to their scopes to help set them apart from the others. Also look for a good named brand, that will stand behind their product. I bought a Nikon Pro Hunter Shotgun scope last year. It is a very nice piece, much better than Simmons. I blew a Simmons apart on my slug gun, was not fun. The Leopold shotgun scope is really nice to, but over twice as much as the Nikon.

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just purchased a Nikon Pro-staff for my slug gun. So far so good!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Like he said, main things are parallax and eye relief. I have a Simmons Pro Diamond 4x32mm shotgun scope on my T/C Omega muzzleloader and it really does well. I love the crosshair ''diamond'' pattern it has and it's really clear. I finally got to use it in real action this morning and it worked perfectly on my .50cal on a 100lb. doe at 50-60yds.

Matt.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

Nice doe man!!!! I cannot wait for the season to start in Jersey. I just got a new 20 ga. Ultra Slug and I Also have the 12 "gagger" as a back up. Its gonna be a bloodbath!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

The difference also other that paralax is the rectilule ,a wider field of view and low magnifacation. I beleive that is the only difference.

skog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:34 pm 
Utility Grade

I've wondered the same thing about scope differences. A pellet gun scope is different too. I think most shotgun scopes are also good for black powder and vice versa. Varmint 101, nice deer. I've been thinking about getting the Simmons 8 point 800548 for a smoothbore 16 guage pump that's been setting around for years. Reasonable price from $29.50 at Ultimate Outdoors to $54 at other places. Same scope. Does anyone have an opinion or any experience with this scope?