CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: shotgun safe distance
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:26 pm 
Utility Grade

my question is, with skeet or trap loads, like 71/2-9, how far is the safe distance you need behind the target?

i am looking at a piece of property that is about 20 acres, and is relatively in proportion to a piece of legal paper.

i was wondering if that was big enough to shoot skeet on, without worrying about hitting somebody on the next property.

any ideas?

thanks.

Post subject: re: shotgun safe distance
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Check out the link, at the very bottom of the pdf you will find maximum ranges of all shot. Lots of other great info also!

http://glarp.atk.com/Brochures/2006AmmoBasics.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joey- with 20 acres it's doubtful that you would be able to contain the shot drop zone to your property...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm 
Utility Grade

its 1000 x 950 feet.

that chart says max distance is 650 ft. for 7.5 size shot...

i dunno, still not sure.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:09 pm 
Limited Edition

I have a 20 acre(approximate)strip of land down here, I use for shoygunning. I've never had any problems with hitting past it. Shotguns typically, don't really go that far..but I would stick with light target loads or small birdshot loads, just to be on the safe side, if you are to shoot clays. Definently try to avoid slugs...they go MUCH farther, and have a lot more power. Also, definently aim away from the neighbors..they never seem to like that to much. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

I hate to be a wet blanket, but even here in (relatively) gun happy North Dakota, neighbors complain bitterly about the noise of target shooting on private property. Some areas have noise ordinances, and, of course, you can't hunt within 1/4 mile of an inhabited residence without permission of the dweller. Even if you're hunting on your own property.

How close are the nearest neighbors? Could closer residences be built? Are there any state, county or other laws/ordinances that might prohibit target shooting?

Best of luck...I've always wanted my own piece of ground for shooting!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

JOey - you answered you own question - if you were to place the field (a skeet field at least) at any point on that property, you would not contain the shot on your property.

if you were to center that field on the longest part of the property, you would be only 500 feet from the boundary line... so shots taken from stations 1, 7, and 8 would definately escape, and they would probably escape from 2 and 6 on occasion as well...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:37 pm 
Utility Grade

well, i didnt want to setup a whole skeet course.

i just wanted to throw up a few clays and shoot them.

neighbors are pretty far away. they all have big lots too. but guns are noisy i guess.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:53 pm 
Crown Grade

2200 times the diameter of the shot in inches will give you the maximum distance in yards. For example, a #7 shot is .10 inches in diameter (17 - #7 = 10 hundredths). .10 times 2200 = 220 yards or 660 feet. Give it another 10% or so for wind allowances and you should be good.

Frank

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

For informal shooting with light loads that is plenty of room.Just don't allow anyone to shoot large diameter shot.If you are near an edge of the property and shooting into your property,a 71/2 pellet is never going to make it to the other side of your property.If you stand in the middle of the property and shoot out, you may rain shot down around the perimeter. The lyman manual publishes maximun distance charts and these probably have a safety factor built into them.