CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: shooting rifled slugs from bird-barrel???
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:00 am 
Tournament Grade

Are you allowed to do this? What choke should you generally have installed?

Post subject: re: shooting rifled slugs from bird-barrel???
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:12 am 
Crown Grade

Rifled Slugs, but NOT sabots can safely be fired from a regular barrel, and with any choke.

I have seen guns with all the chokes shoot well, and just as many shoot poorly. Most will say to use Imp. Cyl. because they read it or heard it somewhere, but I have done a LOT of slug shooting, and have also owned some fantastic shooters, and IC is NOT a rule. (I have also owned some dogs, too)!

The individual gun has more to do with it.

BobK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:06 am 
Diamond Grade

Try some Brennecke slugs, they worked well for me through a smooth bore deer barrel. They used to say not to shoot them through a full choke, but that has been refuted by others.
I personally would use improved cylinder or if you have screw in chokes you could go with a choke made specifically to shoot slugs with.
IF you can though, a rifled barrel is really the way to go and shooting sabots. They are really accurate. I punched a hole through a deer over a hundred yards this year, taking both lungs out. Instant kill. They don't all happen that way but sometimes it all comes together.
I can remember when first starting out though shooting Brenneckes out of a 12 gauge full choke and managed to take a nice 12 pointer with it. No sights just an old Savage model 67 pump smooth bore field barrel. Screw in chokes were not an option then.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:50 am 
Tournament Grade

I shoot slugs all the time thru a mod. choke on an old 870 wingmaster. No problem.

Accuracy will very between guns and different brands,so buy a few boxes and see which one your gun shoots best and stick with it.

If you have the option though, a rifled barrel is the way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:42 am 
Diamond Grade

The less choke, the better.

If you have a cylinder tube, I'd start with that. If not, go with skeet or IC. The theory is to have the least amount of constriction present in the muzzle that might deflect the slug off target. But bear in mind that you're not dealing with MOA-level accuracy when you're shooting Foster slugs out of a smoothbore; rather, you're firing a substantially undersized cylinder of lead down a slightly oversized barrel. It's wobbling and rattling as it goes, and propellant gases are leaking out around it as it makes its way down the bore. It's not the most accurate projectile ever invented, and the last thing it needs is any significant choke constriction to smack into and knock it even further off course before it leaves the barrel.

The good news is that you can get decent accuracy--certainly tight enough to hit the vitals of a deer at 75 yards or so--out of some smoothbores, especially those with barrels designed specifically for shooting Foster slugs. The old Ithaca 37 smoothbore deer barrels, for example, are noted for quite good accuracy (i.e., groups of 4 inches or less at 100 yards) because they were purportedly bored tighter than bird barrels so that the slug was stabilized better before it left the muzzle.

Anyway, as with any slug-shooting endeavor, your best test is to buy a few boxes of different brands of slugs and head to the range and try out the various choke tubes you have available for your gun. You'll eventually come up with a combo that works, I'm sure. And if you find that you can't develop an adequately accurate load, you'll know that it's time to consider an upgrade to a fully rifled slug barrel.

Good luck. Also, you should check out the "Slug Shooting" board on this site; many guys there do nothing but ponder the possibilities of improving slug-shooting accuracy all day, and I'm sure they'd be eager to share their wisdom with you.