CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: good gun for beginner skeet
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:46 pm 
Utility Grade

A couple weeks ago a family friend took me out skeet shooting for the first time and it was wonderful. I'm thinking about doing it regular but i don't have a gun. He recommended a 12ga over under with a 3" chamber. I don't know if this is good or not but I've got a budget of about $500 and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions.

Post subject: re: good gun for beginner skeet
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:43 pm 
Crown Grade

See if you can find a good, used auto. A Remington 1100, a Beretta, etc. should serve you well. Beware of the so-called cheapies.

3" shells are NOT used for skeet, just 2 3/4" target loads. The Remington 1100 is normally a 2 3/4" gun.

BobK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:48 pm 
Crown Grade

For under $500, you just can't beat a Remington 1100. It might be tough to find a late-model gun with screw-in chokes for less than $500, but there is certainly no shortage of older fixed choke 1100s (in SK or IC) in the $350-$450 range.

An old Winchester Super X-1 is also an outstanding gun, if you can find one in good shape.

Later, if your interest and budget allow, a competition grade O/U with sub-gauge tubes could be a fine addition for registered skeet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:09 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Couldn't agree more. Even a Mod will work for Skeet. I'd even take a serious look at a 28" or longer Full barrel, cut it off at the first rib post and now you have a cyl barrel. There are far worse combinations for Skeet.

Personaly I prefer an O/U, but for $500, the 1100 is THE gun to beat!

BP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the advice. I'm not entirely comfortable modifying a gun so what barrel length would you recommend? Didn't even know it was an issue.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:35 pm 
Limited Edition

I agree with everyone on the used auto but I would not cut the barrel. I personally like a 28" barrel in an auto but a 26" or even a 30 would be ok. If you find a Super X model 1 or a 1100 with a mod or full choke just take it to a gunsmith and have them ream the bore to open it up to an IC or skeet constriction.

I would much rather have a good used auto then a cheap new OU. That is just my personal opinion.

Good Luck

Al

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

I agree with the masses, it sounds like this is a first gun purchase and you cant beat the 1100 by REM. Versitile, tolerant and even in 12 gauge, the recoil is a pleasure.

If you ready to jump in with both feet...look at one of the inexpensive O/Us out there. Try a used Franchi Diamond, thats within your budget and a wonderful gun for the money.

There are a few other companies as well worth looking into, Baikal/ Spartan/Remington is another

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:05 pm 
Field Grade

For O/U, Lanber or even DeHaan... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:34 am 
Crown Grade

get a 20 or 12 gauge 1100 with choke tube or a fixed choked one and have tubes installed, most any type of clay will work with it and 95% of hunting too. a 28 inch barrel with 2 3/4" chambers will be about perfict too! 8) 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:11 am 

There are some pretty good 3" semi auto's for right around $500.00

The Beretta 3901,390(Wal Mart), Franchi 712, Weatherby SAS, Winchester SX2.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:02 am 
Limited Edition

The 1100 is certainly a good suggestion. Prior to the widespread adoption of the O/U it was the gun to shoot skeet. However, if you are looking for a reliable O/U with 3" chambers, removable chokes, and a 5 year warranty (not that you'll need it) you should look at the Lanber 2087. CDNN has them for $500, which I think is the best deal on new guns under a grand out there right now. It also lets you avoid the problems of shopping for used guns if you don't really know what to look for.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:45 am 
Tournament Grade

If you want an O/U, i would definately go with the Lanber 2087....personally I don't feel you can get a better gun at that price point in an O/U, and you get it new with a 5 year warranty. Shoot great, and are very reliable.

The used 1100 is a good idea as well, as well as other used autos. Personally.....i would take someone with a little more experience used gun shopping, as many times there is a reason those are on a gun rack. Usually the reason is there is something wrong with it, or that they simply didn't use it and wanted the cash. You, of course, want the 2nd kind, not the 1st.

Whatever you buy, find something that fits you and shoulders well. That could be the difference between an enjoyable experience as you learn to shoot, or a frustrating one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:11 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like getting a used REM 1100 is the most popular choice. There's a guy at church who goes hunting a lot and should be willing to come along and help me pick out a good used one.

Post subject: Re: re: good gun for beginner skeet
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

extra15b wrote:
Thanks for all the advice. Looks like getting a used REM 1100 is the most popular choice. There's a guy at church who goes hunting a lot and should be willing to come along and help me pick out a good used one.

Check gunbroker.com.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I respectfully dissent. A beginner probably won't know how to get the trigger guard out of an 1100, to clean it. He likely won't even be able to take off the barrel and take out the bolt to clean it. Autos have to be kept clean, all of them, or else they soon become single shots. He may well buy a problem if he buys a used gun. An adult beginner should go to Wal Mart and buy a brand spanking new Remington 870 Express and a Skeet tube for it, all for less than 300 dollars, and some hearing protection, shell carrier, a bore snake, and a can of Break Free, and learn how to shoot that excellent pointing 870 at skeet. Once he has, he'll then have a better idea of what gun he really likes, and he'll have not lost more than a case of shotgun shells in depreciation if he wants to sell or trade his 870 Express.

That's my opinion, contrary to the majority. :lol: