CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Estate Vs. Golden Pheasant Shotshells
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:19 pm 
Crown Grade

:D Hi all, which of these two loads would you use for hunting and why?

Talking 12ga #5 shot and 20ga #6

Thanks!!!!!

Greg

Post subject: re: Estate Vs. Golden Pheasant Shotshells
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:41 pm 

Golden Pheasants loads.
Reason: Past experience, they perform very well and have excellent knock down power.

Amassing a stockpile of shotshells

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Buy both, pattern both......Best one wins.
nuff said. 8)

Post subject: Re: re: Estate Vs. Golden Pheasant Shotshells
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:14 pm 
Crown Grade

wb wrote:
Buy both, pattern both......Best one wins.
nuff said. 8)

Excellent point!!

Looking at overall performance and reliability and boots on the ground experience with them.

Thanks!!!!

Greg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I agree with wb. One might perform much better out of your gun/choke combo than out of mine. I assume you are looking at using them for Pheasants? I load my own hunting loads for Pheasants with magnum shot and use #6 mostly but also use the occasional #5.

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Have never tried the Golden Pheasant in 20. I've shot the Estates from my 20 at some pasture trap. They do fine for me.

In the 20 ga. 1 oz. #6 department, I lean toward the Remington Express and Federal Premium for pheasants. In the Rems, I found some 20s and 16s on sale the other day at $9 a box and snapped up what they had left. Between what I snagged the other day and what I already had in stock, I don't have many excuses to buy hunting shells for this upcoming season. Which probably won't stop me, anyway. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:42 pm 

I've gone thru a lot of Fiocchi "Golden Pheasants" 12 gauge 2 3/4" 1 3/8oz of #5 at 1,250fps. They have patterned well out every gun/choke combo I or my buddies have used.

I do agree you shoud pattern to see how a particular load/s works out of your own gun/chokes.

Other good pheasant loads to try would be the Remington "Nitro Pheasant" and Winchester "Super Pheasant". They have similar spec's to the "Golden Pheasant" and are copper plated.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

Estates are good shells, they are Federals. But I have always had great patterns with Fiocchi Golden Pheasants and the Fiocchi Crushers in 7 1/2 are my favorite grouse load.

I have patterned many, many loads for grouse and these were the best. . . .The Estate 7 1/2s were not at the bottom, but I think there were only 2 or 3 lower. (These were the cheap Estate loads, not the premium Estate loads. . .big difference there as well)

I use my Estate 6s for training and preserve birds. They do fine for that and now I just wish I would have bought more at $2.99 per box. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:31 am 
Diamond Grade

Don't rule out no. 5's with your 20 gauge. With a full choke I dropped a lot of pheasants last season with 20 gauge 1 ounce no. 5's at all ranges. More pheasants than my buddies with their 12 gauges. But I am a better shot.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Shooting patterns shows pattern dirbursement, but it doesn't tell you how well the pellets from a particular load will penentrate on a bird. Penetration is absolutely essential to performing well on living targets. Of the two loads you mentioned, I would take the Fiocchi's. There are other loads that work as well. Remington Nitros seem to work as well on birds as the Fiocchi's. Fed. Premiums are excellent performers. I haven't had a chance to see a few of the newer loads used in the field. I agree on the 5's rather than 6's. The heavier the pellet is, within reason of course, the better it will penetrate.
The better it penetrates, the better it will kill birds.
Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've used Fiocchi Golden Pheasants 12 & 20 gauge shells. These shells pattern very well in my shotguns and hit hard. The only Estate Cartdrige shells I ever used were High Velocity Steel 12-gauge 3.5. Like most steel ammuniton I didn't much care for the performance... I wouldn't be afraid to try the High Velocity Upland loads they are currently offering. I've yet to see them in the places I shop for shotgun ammo.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:49 am 

JDS, how do those Fioochi loads run in your Russian tank?

Amassing a stockpile of shotshells

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I haven’t run any Fiocchi shells in my Baikal MP153 semi-auto as of yet…
My favorite 12ga upland ammo currently is Federal Premium Wing-Shok copper plated high velocity 5, 6 or 7.5. I've been using up the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant mostly in my 20ga Remington SPR310 the past 2-years. I got them at Cabelas in W.V. At the time the Fiocchi G.P. shells were the least expensive premium 20ga loads in the store. They cost $2 a box less then the closet 20ga high velocity field loads. I've used Fiocchi G.P. 12's in my Franchi Al48, and also a once owned High Standard Sears Model 60 semi-auto in the past. They performed/patterned very well in both those 12ga shotguns.

Post subject: Re: re: Estate Vs. Golden Pheasant Shotshells
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:38 pm 
Crown Grade

Dave Holmes wrote:
Shooting patterns shows pattern dirbursement, but it doesn't tell you how well the pellets from a particular load will penentrate on a bird. Penetration is absolutely essential to performing well on living targets. Of the two loads you mentioned, I would take the Fiocchi's. There are other loads that work as well. Remington Nitros seem to work as well on birds as the Fiocchi's. Fed. Premiums are excellent performers. I haven't had a chance to see a few of the newer loads used in the field. I agree on the 5's rather than 6's. The heavier the pellet is, within reason of course, the better it will penetrate.
The better it penetrates, the better it will kill birds.
Dave

:idea: Any brand of ammo that has their #4 lead shot flying out the gun muzzle at 1200 feet per second will pretty much have the same penetration factor.
BUT if that same ammo leaves patterns with big hanging holes in the meddle...............your gone to miss allot birds!
Everything being equal between brands I'd worry more if the damn stuff patterns well with my shotgun then anything else. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

pattern, pattern, pattern. but if i have to chose, golden pheasants all the way. i reload so i rarely use anything else but when i do, it's golden pheasants. i reload for pheasants using nickle plated shot, it can't be beat. fiochi uses nickle in the gp. great nock down power even at extended ranges. 8)

"real dogs have beards!!!!!"

"drive a jeep, shoot a beretta!"