Shotgun Forum banner

Remington 11-48?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  modoc 
#1 ·
My wife's little brother inherited a Remington semi-auto from his grandfather. It is a 16ga, and I believe the model number is 11-48.

What can you good folks tell me about it?

#2 ·
It is a long recoil semi-auto--the same process that operates the Browning Auto-5. In fact, it is a Remington Model 11--itself a licensed copy of the Auto-5--restyled to include the more modern fastback profile.

It's a good gun but it doesn't have the benefit of recoil reduction as the gas-operated autos do.

#5 ·
Dave A said:
The model 11 and the 11-48 are nothing alike. The mod. 11 is a copy of the Browning auto 5 but the 11-48 is the predesesor to the 11-87. Looks jist like a 11-87. Good gun.
No, the 11-48 is a modernization of the Model 11. It is exactly the same except for the cosmetics. The 1100 is the predecessor to the 11-87.

The Model 11 and 11-48 are long recoil operated. The 1100 and 11-87 are gas operated.

#7 ·
Actually I believe the model 11-48 and model 11 have way more in common than not. No they don't look the same, and parts don't interchange, but they are very similar in dseign and operation other than the "hump". Actually, the A-5 I believe is a copy of the Model 11, not the other way arround. Ol' John designed them both, but Remington made the Model 11 before FN started making the A-5 for Browning. Similar too, but not many things interchangable either.

BP

#8 ·
John Browning designed the 'Auto-Loading Shotgun' and had FN start making them in Belgium...He could not get around import tarriffs on the FN produced arms, so he 'licensed' much of the patent technology to Remington after a failed attempt to make a deal with Winchester...The Model 11 is not an exact copy...Parts do not interchange and on the Model 11 there is no 'magazine cutoff lever'...During WWII, Remington could not keep up with the demand for the Model 11, so they sub-contracted with Savage to start making the same weapon which became known as the Savage Model 720...Parts interchange between the 720 and the 11...After WWII, Remington started development of the 11-48 and gave up their license agreement to Savage who made 'improvements' of their own and continued to make variations on the 720 line till the mid-60's I believe...This would be up to and including the Model 775 and varaints...775 barrels will fit on original Remington made Model 11's...

From the Remington Site:

"After his failed attempts to strike a deal with Winchester, and after completing an agreement with Fabrique Nationale in Liege, Belgium to produce his autoloading shotgun, Browning was still left without a manufacturer in the U.S. market. Browning's license agreement with Remington, finalized in 1904, changed that and set the stage for the classic Remington Model 11."

http://www.remington.com/magazine/history/m11.htm

#9 ·
From the Remington Site:

"After his failed attempts to strike a deal with Winchester, and after completing an agreement with Fabrique Nationale in Liege, Belgium to produce his autoloading shotgun, Browning was still left without a manufacturer in the U.S. market. Browning's license agreement with Remington, finalized in 1904, changed that and set the stage for the classic Remington Model 11."

http://www.remington.com/magazine/history/m11.htm
It's even better than that. After dealing with Winchester, John Browning went to Remington. 10 minutes or so before the scheduled meeting the President of Remington DIED IN HIS OFFICE. In the confusion that followed, FN got the nod because no one else in America could start cranking out his gun. After the first 10,000 guns from FN in 1903 were delivered in America FN agreed to renegotiate their contract with Browning because of the stiff tarrif. FN made them in Europe, Remington in the USA. Of couse, after WWII Remington made FN's share of the European market because there wasn't a factory to make gun in Belgium at the time (until 1951 or so.)

Of couse I can't find the bloody book called "BROWNING" by ???? so you can all grab a copy and see it for yourselves.

Mike Doerner

PS The book is "Browning: Sporting Arms of Distinction" by Matt Eastman. Got an A5 manual buried inside as well, so you can figure out when you need all the friction rings or not depending on gauge and shot weight.

PPS Don't know the time line on the Savage 720. I thought Savage started making the A5 copy around 1930?

#10 ·
You may be right about the 720, but I am not sure...I do know that I have never seen a Savage 720 older than the WWII vintage in person or advertised as earlier than 1942 for sale...As I stated, it was my understanding that Savage 'took up the slack' for Remington on a government contract for Model 11's that Remington just could not fill due to other government contracts running concurrently that overtaxed their facilities...

Pretty good evidence that over 14,000 Model 720's were purchased by the US military from 42-45...Someday I will have to contact Callahan for total production numbers and dates of the 720 run...

http://ugca.org/03mar/savage.htm

#11 ·
:D Yes Sir,ol John knew he had a winner when he went to Winchester and demanded a roality arrangment rather than selling it outright as he had done before.He could finally see that Winchester was getting rich on his guns and he was determined to share in the success.When Winchester saw that they had made a TERRIBLE mistake they hurried their design team to get an auto shotgun on the market to compete.And that is when they fell flat on their nose.The 1911 Auto was the result,,,,boy what a bugger..........nuff said. :cry: And now you know "THE REST OF THE STORY".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.