Post subject: savage 512 gold wing
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:32 pm 
Field Grade

am thinking about buying a savage 512 gold wing what is your opinion thanks

Post subject: Re: savage 512 gold wing
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I believe you could do better.Check into the Lanbers and CZ's.

What's your budget and what are you wanting to do with it ?

Here's link about different price point O/U's
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=253741

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As long as all you do is think about it you will be fine, if you are going to be shooting any volume of shells look at getting a gun a little further up the food chain. :D

cdb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

great gun, I own one, I have put thousands of rounds down mine, it has killed ducks, geese, doves, phesant, and has seen plenty of heavy clays use, I borrow it all the time for people to shoot, and numerous other people have had great luck and no issues with it.

I added a nice slip on recoil pad and thats all, I did have one issue which it went back to Savage for, and that was the choke tubes got bent or become out of round or something, and aftermarket choke tubes wouldn't fit, they cleaned the threads up and replace the choke tubes for free, as it was in warranty. If you like the gun, if it fits shoulders and points nice for you, and your happy with it, then buy it!

Otherwise for the same price point check out the CZ 912 semi auto, there about $545 or so, a co worker just bought the Tom Knapp sporting version, and it has performed flawlessly so far.

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Fan&Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:00 pm 
Crown Grade

My opinion is you will be sorry if you buy it. While it doesn't cost much, it is worth even less. They do however make pretty floor lamps.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

When I started shooting trap I purchased a Stevens 12ga Gold Wing O/U. It worked out fine until I started going up on the volume that I was shooting. Then I had a firing pin break and the gunsmith told me that I will probably continue to have this problem due to the firing pin not moving straight in/out due to the softer metal ring around it. After my second firing pin replacement and occasional fail to fire I got rid of it and bought a CZ Redhead which I absolutely just love and trust to fire! Do more research on the shotgun before you make your decision.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a 28 gauge 512, that has had both firing pins break and had to be replaced. It is now at the back of the safe, for use as an occasional loaner. Mark