CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg Silver Reserve II 20/28 Gauge Combo Review
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:51 pm 
Field Grade

Before purchasing the Mossberg Silver Reserve II 20/28 Gauge Combo (Model #75441), I did extensive research on the original Silver Reserve and its problems. I was aware of the generally negative opinions concerning the Mossberg O/Us. I made an informed decision to purchase the SRII anyway: It's what I can afford, it's a gun I wouldn't be afraid to beat up in the field, and I have some hopes that the problems with the original Silver Reserve have been fixed with the SRII. I'd like to take this opportunity to share what I, thus far, like and dislike about the shotgun in the hopes that it might help others who are considering a Mossberg O/U. Pictures to follow, and I'll make successive reports as I put more shells through the gun.

Purchase Details
  • Purchased in May 2013 online from Bud's Gun Shop for $830 (cash) including insurance with free shipping.

Fit & Finish
  • The 28 gauge setup weight exactly 7 1/4 lbs.
  • The shipping box arrived a bit beat up, but contents were were o.k. The only place that had any sort of excessive shipping or manufacturing gunk was a layer of grease/crud underneath the extractors. The rest of the gun was free of any kind of cosmoline or heavy protectant. After cleaning off the gunk underneath the extractors and adding a couple drops of oil to the hinges, I started firing the gun right out of the box.
  • I'm definitely please with the fit and finish of the gun for this price point. The barrels are satin with even, dark bluing. The wood is stained a satin dark walnut, though the inside of the forearms are more roughly finished and unstained.
  • The wood is straight grained and unfancy. Wood is generally proud around the action but is tight fitting. The forearm fits well against the action but has a 1/16" or so of play at the barrel end which results in a touch of rattle up-and-down against the barrel. This is present on the 20 gauge and 28 gauge sets.
  • The forearm latch is flat, robust, and tight fitting.
  • The muzzle faces and muzzle face of the rib are square, but they are not blued. It appears the manufacturers ground the muzzle face square after the bluing process.
  • The bead is centered, the rib is robust and well attached, and the fillers between the barrels are clean and perfect.
  • The safety/selector is stiff but functions fine. It's clearly marked with an "S" for the safety and "O" and "U" for the selector.
  • The scrolling on the action is machine cut. Nothing fancy but not unattractive. The scrolling on the trigger guard and lever are similar to that on the action. The scrolling on the forend metal is a little rougher and is composed of easily discernible individual dots.
  • Wood checkering is also machine cut. It provides grip but not too much. The checkered surface is flat--the tips of the diamonds are not pointed--so it's a smoother texture.
  • The butt is stained evenly and has a nice, conventional pistol grip shape. The butt pad is compliant rubber with a plastic "no-catch" insert at the top.
  • Choke tubes thread just fine. They're identified with notches instead of words or letters, so one needs to find the identification chart in the manual to figure out what's what. The upside is that the notches are on the muzzle face of the choke tubes, so the tubes can be identified while they're in the barrel.
  • The lever is well-right of center.
  • The action locks up just fine but is rather stiff to open and close. After 200 rounds, I can see that the forend is starting to wear-in at the contact points. I also noticed that the action tends to stiffen up as the gun heats up during a round of skeet.

Performance
  • Thus far, I've fired 200 rounds of Win AA Super Sport through the 28 gauge setup...all on the skeet field. I haven't fired any shells through the 20 gauge setup.
  • The gun mounts fine and appears well balanced to me. The 26" barrels are a little whippy. I haven't had any firing malfunctions with the gun. I did, however, have one incident where I didn't fully open the action and reset the triggers, so when I closed the action and pulled the trigger, I got a bit of a click but no contact with the primers. After fully cycling the actions, all was well.
  • The extractors work fine. However, I had three incidents when closing the action in the first couple rounds of skeet where the brass on the lower shell got caught on the breech face and crumpled the brass. Hasn't happened again. I need to monitor it in the future after additional use and cleanings to determine if it was a bad couple of shells or a problem with the gun.
  • The mechanical trigger is absolutely terrible. I estimate it's about 7 pounds with lots of creep and overtravel. I also detect quite a bit of vibration/"whack" transferred from the hammers back through the trigger to my finger. Of the whole package, I think this is currently the one thing that significantly detracts from the quality of the gun at this price point. The heavy, creepy trigger noticeably affects my (amateur) performance on the skeet field. I think I could tolerate it for occasional shots in field use, but it's disruptive for clay sports. I intend to discover what gunsmithing I might be able to do to improve the trigger.
  • Recoil: I was a little surprise by the recoil...probably ignorance or assumption on my part about how much recoil to expect for a 28 gauge load. I start to get uncomfortable toward the end of a 2nd round of skeet. It's not a gun I'll be using to shoot a lot of back-to-back clay target rounds. I'll look into dialing back the velocity on my reloads and see if that helps.
  • Point of aim: TBD on a patterning board but appears to shoot straight. On the skeet field, misses are clearly my fault.
  • Patterning: TBD.

My current opinion: I got what I paid for. It's a plain jane O/U that is mechanically sound. As expected, it lacks some refinement and will require more wear-in than a higher priced O/U. Despite the trigger problem, at this point, I'm glad I purchased it. More to follow.

Last edited by Bob K. on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Mossberg Silver Reserve II 20/28 Gauge Combo Review
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Glad you are happy with it, keep us informed on how it holds up. :D

cdb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just like any purchase,it's your money and if "YOU" are satisfied it doesn't really matter what others think :D

Shoot well and enjoy {hs#

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:15 am 
Diamond Grade

Just remember to use some good grease on the front of the receiver to front end iron and on the hinge pins.
Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You have discovered the main difference in build quality between the lower priced versions of O/U shotguns and spending more money, the trigger. I shoot B guns and thought they had good triggers until I shot a Kolar. The gunsmiths around here are reluctant to work on economy gun trigger modifications, and even if they do, the price is a significant addition to the cost of the gun. You might consider contacting Mossberg about whether they would work on the trigger under warranty. Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have the even plainer-jane Maverick, the plastic-furnitured cousin of your gun, in 12Ga. Somewhat cheaper, since it doesn't come with two barrel sets.

Similar things can therefore be said for it as you have said for your gun, in particular with regard to the shooting performance and the overall impression.

I cannot comment as to the trigger pull, as this is the first shotgun I have owned and I have nothing to judge it against, but it doesn't seem to throw me off. I appreciate the fact that my trigger is double-mechanical rather than inertia-reset - if the first shell misfires, I'm not dependent on recoil that never happened in order to fire the second barrel.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:23 am 
Crown Grade

Sounds like you are happy with your new gun. We would like to see a few photo's of it.
:D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:44 am 
Diamond Grade

We are glad you are thus far happy with what you consider an informed decision. Obviously you wouldn't have bought it if you didn't feel right about it.
As for all the fit and finish details, everyone can judge those for themselves before they lay their money down. Nothing is really hidden. Just like in buying a car, picking a wife or getting a dog, not everyone has the same tastes and what appeals or is acceptable to one person may send someone else running away. I mean even Rosanne Barr has had husbands and boyfriends.
Performance is somewhat of a different matter. It's pretty hard for most people to check performance for themselves without making the purchase. In that regard, the experience of those that have gone before is important. Is a review after 200 rounds authoritative? Is the reviewer comparing against a standard that everyone understands and most everyone accepts? What issues are really operator caused? Not all reviews are equal, based on the background of the reviewer, even if totally equal products are reviewed. That often leads those reading any particular review to form different options. Obviously this purchaser, and now reviewer, formed an opinion that even he admits, differs from the "generally negative opinions concerning the Mossberg O/U's".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:03 am 
Limited Edition

Good review glad its working well so far. I got one also. Could not see myself dropping $900+ on a O/U just to "see" if the kid liked and would stick with it. If he does like it and stays with it routinely and has fun for a couple years(say till 15 years old or so he's 13 now) I will consider getting him a used Citori/68* Beretta or some such as its a better gun and would last him a lifetime(hopefully :) ) and I will take the SRII as either mine or a loaner.

Keep us informed..I will do the same we will be out this coming weekend on Sunday(bar any rain/weather) to give it its initial breakin run of skeet or trap maybe both..I have 2 guys at the range with a few thousand through their SRII's with no problems/complaints. they also recommended/suggested it as something to get before we step up to a Browning or Beretta.