CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rottweil Shotguns - Opinions
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:24 am 
Crown Grade

bubo wrote:
sorry to disapoint some of You...but DynamitNobel or Rottweil never made any guns in Germany.
All of their shotguns,rifles and pistols have been produced in various countries.

Absolutely right. Dynamit Nobel is simply a marketing company and I doubt if Rottweil is much more. I've been told that even their carridges are made for them in Spain.

It is also a common mistake to think that Italy has a huge number of shotgun makers. It's really not like that, it's almost incestuous. There are lots of different brand names but very few of them, if any, make the entire gun. It's a process where lots of small businesses make parts for each other and I'm pretty sure that even Beretta has some parts sub contracted out.

I had a Rottweil Supersport 30" a few years back and it used the same action as in Fuelburns pic. It was made it Italy by FIAS who claim to be the largest arms maker in Italy. Most of their products are OEM so you don't see their name very often but, FWIW, they are an approved supplier to the US military. The gun in the pic has been and still is available under several different brands (eg Lincoln Premier). It is also used by Browning for a UK specific 12g called the Medallist. There are 4 weaknesses in the design: 1) The ejectors have tendency to break in half (easy to fix), 2) The trunnion stubs are machined from the solid & not replaceable, 3) The lockup has no facility for tightening when worn. If the gun is heavily used you need to be absolutely anal about lubrication on the wear points. 4) Awful trigger pull.

The good thing is the handling - much better than the Citori - best handling gun I ever shot. But for the above points I'd still be using it for SC

Robert Browning

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:30 pm 
Field Grade

I own two Rottweil's. The American Skeet with the tube set and the Model 72 AAT 34" unsingle. The reason I like the Rottweil's it the fast lock time and fitting. This is one of the few shotguns I have purchased that I can shoot unaltered. I can't say enough on the trigger. The fast lock time is a bit up on a M12.

I bought the Model 72 in the late 80's and used mostly for fun shoots or when I had to shoot to win. The 2nd was the American skeet. Again, I like it for the fitting and the tube sets. I am getting older and now shoot a lot of subgauge skeet. The American Skeet fits this purpose fine.

For the price (around $2000.00) you can not buy a better shotgun.

Dale Wolff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:45 am 
Diamond Grade

I do not know when Dynamit is supposed to have designed the model 72, what is beyond dispute is that skeet shooters at my club used the Fratelli Gamba marked model well before the Rottweil named version appeared. It is also evident from the Fratelli Gamba brochures of the 70s that they produced other models, both with removable and fixed trigger groups. So it seems that the heritage of this model is more Italian than German.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:19 am 
Crown Grade

Shotgunguru is correct, Rottweil did not design the Model 72. It was designed and built by F.LLI Gamba. The Rottweil Model 72 O/U was made by F.lli Gamba and is mechanically identical to the earlier F.lli Gamba Model Montreal O/U. There may, however, be a difference in engraving patterns on the high grade models. If you compare each firm's sales literature, you will note that some of the illustrations are identical. A close examination of the underside of the monobloc will show proof marks and the F.LLI Gamba logo confirming that F.LLI Gamba is the maker.

F.LLI Gamba literature states that Konrad Wirnhier, who won the gold in skeet at the Munich Olympics in 1972, collaborated in the design of the gun. The later Rottweil literature claims that the 1972 Olympic "gold medal winner in skeet has shot with an identical shotgun construction".

An old post in this thread states that Rottweil 72 guns were made by Ameria Italiana. Actually, the maker's correct name is:Le Armeria Italiane F.LLI Gamba.

An even older post states that the Daytona of modern days is more of a Perazzi than the old Fratelli Gamba design. Its true that the Daytona is a different design than the earlier F.LLI Gamba O/U's but, here's the rest of the story....during the mid-1980's F.LLI Gamba developed, produced and marketed their Boss actioned Model SL-88 which employed an interchangable trigger group similar to that featured in the earlier Models 620, 650 and Montreal/Rottweil 72. The October 1988 issue of the Italian magazine, Armi e Tiro had a four page test of the SL-88 complete with an exploded view parts drawing and patterning results. When F.LLI Gamba ceased operations, the design and tooling for the Boss actioned Model SL-88 was sold to a cousin, Renato Gamba, who now markets that gun as the Daytona.

During a visit to Gardone three years ago, I met with Mr. Guido Gamba who showed me three
Model SL-88's which had been built as prototypes for Big Green. One had the Remington name inlaid in gold on the bottom of the frame. It is my understanding that due to the dissolution of the firm, the prototypes were never delivered to Remington and remained on the premises of the former F.LLI Gamba factory.

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:29 am 
Field Grade

Hey All,

I've been shooting a Rottweil model 72 ATT combo for trap locally for some time now, and I must say, this is a wonderful gun to have. I can understand what some people have said regarding the purchase of a Browning/Beretta shotgun for a similar price, but I honestly wouldn't trade it for one. My girlfriend has been shooting a Browning XS Skeet (for trap) with adjustable comb and stock, as is my Rottweil, but I would take mine, hands down. A friend of mine, and local gunsmith, also shoots one of these when he gets out to shoot trap. He and I were both looking for any spare parts if anyone has some, or knows of where I can find some, so if anyone has a lead, please let me know. =)

Jerry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:34 am 
Field Grade

Chris Vendel sells Rottweil parts. CRVcustomarms.

http://crvcustomarms.webs.com/

I have a nice Rottweil O/U that I don't shoot. PM if interested. Doug. Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:01 am 
Utility Grade

Hi i found a cool looking rottweil @ cabelas, its a 72 aat trap gun, and its $1500. Imy question is; its not that high rib one i see everywhere, can anyone eleberate??? Thanks boys and girls! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:37 am 
Field Grade

Dz3no:

I looked at the Rottweil's Cabelas has and I am not sure which one you are talking about. If its one of the combo sets, $1500 is about the going price. It depends on how bad you want it. They are good shotguns for the price.

Dale

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:57 am 
Utility Grade

Hello to all and "G'day" from Down Under.
I was introduced to Clay Target shooting by a new neighbour when I moved to a new area. He's been a shooter for decades. I shoot mainly Trap and have been doing it now for about 18mths. My neighbour has quite a collection of guns, but the one he trained me on was a Rottweil Montreal Trap, 30" with Briley extended chokes, high rib & custom adjustable stock. I love it! I fired quite a few different DTL/Trap guns- Berettas, Brownings, Mirokus (even an ATA, which is a Turkish copy of the Beretta) etc etc - but the Rottie just fits me perfectly and I'm finding it a great gun to get to grips with the sport. I had to score a "probable" (eg 25/25) before he would contemplate selling it to me - and it's now mine and I'm loving it! Condition is A1++ and the bores are still mirror-smooth. He pulled it apart to show me all the bits, and the quality, particularly of the trigger mechanism and machining is obvious. Came with spare springs and firing pins too. So far, in a bit over a year of owning it and nearly 18mths of firing, it has never let me down. I love it and would recommend it to anyone. Even though it's getting on a bit, the condition is still terrific and I'm surprised at how many shooters come up to me at the club and make enquiries! They must have a pretty good reputation, judging by the interest and how easily I could sell it if I wanted to! Looking forward to many good years out of it yet!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:46 am 
Field Grade

WinM12 wrote:
Where was the gun made? Some Rottweil guns were made in Italy by Gamba Brothers (not Renato Gamba...). I knew a gentleman who owned a Rottweil/Gamba trap combo back in the mid 80's. It was a very high quality gun for its price class.

Once Gamba Brothers folded in the late 80's, their cousin Renato bought the design, and I believe a modified version of that gun became today's Renato Gamba Daytona.

Gamba Brothers did not "fold".

F'lli Gamba ceased making guns in 1990. Guido Gamba still owns the assets of the company and the F'lli Gamba still has a sign out on the street. Older F'lli Gamba models are still available NIB from Fratelli Gamba which is now entirely owned by Guido Gamba.

The two brothers had a falling out over the future of the company in 1990. Renato Gamba bought out his brother Guido. Fratelli Gamba developed the Model 88 shotgun which is the current Renato Gamba Daytona model. This shotgun was produced by F'lli Gamba from 1988 to 1990. Renato Gamba then bought out the rights to the Model 88 only (no other assets of F'lli Gamba were purchased by Renato) and Guido went into the used metalworking machinery business full time. Guido has done quite well in the machinery business.

The earlier Gamba Model 81 is the Montreal Model. It was sold by Rottweil as the Rottweil Model 72.

Earlier Gamba models (model 610, 620, 81) are supported by Guido Gamba who still owns the assets of F'lli Gamba. Guido now runs the metalworking machinery (lathes, mills, planes etc) selling business on the premises of the old F'lli Gamba factory floor.

Guido's son Tomasso works with him in the machinery business.

Renato's sons Carlo works for Renato Gamba. Carlo now runs the day to day operations of Renato Gamba (BREMEC S. R. L.).

Renato Gamba Factory is located across the street from the old F'lli Gamba Factory. The floor of the F'lli Gamba factory is now covered in used machine tools. The old gun room and spare parts area upstairs at one end are intact and full of thousands of parts for earlier Gamba models. Guido is quite happy to sell repair parts for Gamba Models 610, 620, 81.

These two men are cousins. CARLO and TOMASSO. Neither were involved in F'lli Gamba as they were school boys in 1990.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:35 pm 
Utility Grade

I have an older Rottweil skeet with a second set of field barrells, can anybody tell me what the bore star symbols ( four stars) and (two stars) represent?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:30 pm 
Field Grade

Improved cylinder (4stars) and improved modified (2stars). If you ever want to sell, send me a message.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire