CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: L.A. Luigi Franchi Brescia 12 GA. Italian
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:22 pm 
Utility Grade

A shotgun was given to me by my grandfather in 1971. Not certain as to it's value. I don't hunt anymore so I want to sell it and don't know what to ask for it. The bore is very good. Bluing I would guess at 90 percent. Varnish starting to wear off on the stock. On the receiver side opposite the auto ejector it says, "S.p. A. Luigi Franchi Brescia Made in Italy 12 GA. Mod. On the bottom at the loading port Serial No. 37531

On the ejector side at the breech the words "Stoger Arms Corporation New York" are stamped.

There are what I call "proofs" stamped at various locations on the underside of the receiver. Can't make out what they spell. No rust whatsoever anywhere. Smooth action. Most if not all of the shotguns I have owned are stamped with what length shell it will take. Not so with this one so I do not know if it will take 3 inch shells.

I would be grateful if you could assist me in determining what the gun is worth.

Thanks,

Greg

Post subject: re: L.A. Luigi Franchi Brescia 12 GA. Italian
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You have a Franchi AL-48. It is one of the better upland guns ever made. From your description, I'd value it at between $300-375. The 48 is no longer available in 12 gauge so that makes it a bit more valuable. If you can get $400, do it. I'm thinking that you'll settle for around $375 or a bit less.

It is a 2 3/4" chambered gun.

You haven't won an argument until the other person says, "WHATEVER"!