CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:58 pm 
Field Grade

I just picked up a J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl. Serial # 92586 12G sidelock extractor gun. It has 29-15/16 Fluid steel krupp barrels, bushed firing pins, some engraving, an Ivory bead, Matted tapered rib and it appears to be in pretty good working order, locks up tightly and cocks and fires well. The lever is very slightly left of center.

It has a few problems, cracks on the underside near the receiver in the butt-stock, below the sidelocks and some ham-handed trogloditic idiot bead blasted it and it appears that it was either caustic blued or it was painted with some type of black stove paint. I haven't figured it out yet.

I'd like to find out what model it is, when it was made, what the original finish was like and what its worth. I think it is a pre-WWII gun and was a GI Bringback.

Hopefully, I can bring it back to its' past glory and finish.

I'll try to post pictures. Pictures are posted in the "Others" album.

Any help?

Gunner312

Post subject: Re: J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:22 am 
Presentation Grade

Hi Gunner312,

What you have is nothing else but the best shotgun Sauer ever made.

For others: here’s the links to one of Gunner312’s photos:

cpg1410/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=3

It’s the best, because the sidelocks are superb and are much better than for example Holland & Holland style sidelocks. See the interior of these fine Sauer sidelocks:

This type of shotgun was made from approximately 1890 to…. Well, at least, 1910 or so. Based on the SN I’d estimate a production date of approximately 1900 to 1903 . It isn’t possible to give an exact date, as there are no records in the Suhl archive regarding Sauers with a SN below 200,000. But I have an original Sauer invoice of 1905 with which a gun SN 118xxx was delivered.

Unfortunately, this model isn’t shown in Sauer’s 1903 and 1906 catalog, so I can’t tell you what model name it had. In period publications it was just called the “Sauer hammerless shotgun”.

The original finish of yours (receiver and locks) was case hardened, not blued.

A question: really extractors or ejectors? This model was also made with true ejectors (what’s a damn rare feature on these).

Regards

Martin

Post subject: Re: J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:37 pm 
Field Grade

Nice to know, the Gun has Suhl proofs and has extractors (not ejectors).

It needs a bit of help and care but it looks really good to me. It's too bad that whoever had it did the paint job but I'll get that off and see if there is any color left, probably not since it appears that it was lightly bead blasted before painting.

Gunner312