CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Savage Model 430
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:14 am 
Presentation Grade

Wondering about the value of a Savage OU, Model 430, 28" barrels, double triggers, 14" LOP. Bores are bright, no rust or pits. Stock is good straight grain walnut with handcut checkering, pistol grip, and plain black butt plate not original. Barrels have a couple of minor rust spots. Reciever has a brown/coppery color and some minor rust. Serial numbers all match. Gun is fully functional.

I'd say overall condition, as is, about 75%. I think it will clean uo to 80-85%.

I believe gun was built sometime in late 30's early 40's. Looks like it will be a pretty good shooter. With five grandsons, it ought to see some use.

Your comments will be appreciated.

R.

Post subject: Re: Savage Model 430
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:46 pm 
Crown Grade

The Savage No. 430 over/under normally came with a really nice stock of crotch figured American Black Walnut, and a Jostam Anti-Flinch Recoil Pad. So, with a plain walnut stock and a butt plate, it has probably been replaced.

In 1937, Savage introduced a new series of Savage shotguns, the 220 hammerless single barrel, the 320 side-by-side double and the 420/430 over/under. The Savage catalogues state they would begin shipments of the 420/430 in 12-gauge by May 1st and the 20-gauges by September 1st. The 320 double was only listed that one year. Also, that one year 1937, Savage's subsidiary down at Chicopee Falls, Mass. offered a Stevens 500 side-by-side double Skeet Gun with a beavertail forearm and a non-selective single trigger. By 1938 the 420/430 could be had in 12-, 16-, and 20-gauges, extra sets of barrels and a non-selective single trigger was offered. In addition to the fancy crotch walnut, the 430 also had a Jostam Anti-Flinch recoil pad. The 420/430 remained thru the 1941 price list, but were gone by the 1942.

From the 1938 Savage/Fox wholesale Price List --

These guns were cheaper then a Marlin Model 90. They listed for about half what a Browning Superposed Grade I listed for and less then a third of what a Remington Model 32A "Standard" Grade listed for. So, you got what you paid for!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:33 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks researcher. That catalog page is exactly what I got. You may be right about the stock, but I'm not so sure. The butt plate has been replaced and there are two sets of holes in the stock, obviously because of the replacement. The stock wood is really nice, but straight grained, and the fore end is well matched. The checkering is hand cut and exactly like the catalog picture. The barrel has no rib, but is cross hatched, just as described.

Maybe I don't understand what "crotch" wood looks like. I'm thinking fancy grain. This one is straight grained, but without a blemish. It catches your eye; I guess because you seldom see wood like it today. I'll clean it up and renew the finish and it will really look good. I've had good results rejuvenating the wood on an old Flues and a Nitro Special.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:57 pm 
Crown Grade

My Uncle, my Father's younger brother, who was also my Godfather, had a No. 430 12-gauge and it had a gorgeous piece of walnut in the stock, evey bit the equivalent of a 1941-vintage Grade 4E Ithaca 16-gauge that I have. The wood in the catalogue picture of the No. 430 doesn't look too impressive.