CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stevens SxS 12 gauge
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:49 am 
Field Grade

I asked about a Riverside SxS 16 that I bought at the same time as this gun. I was pleased with the help I received.

This gun has these markings:
top of left barrel: Proof Tested 12 Gauge
2 3/4 inch Chamber

top of right barrel: Selected Forged Steel

metal of forearm latch, bottom side of barrel chamber, top flat of breech: U.S. with H in a circle

on forearm latch pin on barrel: Z also F

left side of breech: STEVENS with a drawing of a bird dog in grass

right side of breech: J. STEVENS ARMS COMPANY
CHICOPEE FALLS, MASS. U.S.A.

bottom left corner of right side of breech: 5100

top flat of breech[in corner] right flat: 3

top flat of breech[in corner] left flat:W

[Please forgive me if I did not use the correct name for the stamp locations]

The barrels are 30 inches long with two ivory [well, it looks like ivory] bead sights.

The hammers are not exposed.

It does not have the original wood [stock nor forearm] The forearm wood does not match the wood in the stock. The wood parts fit poorly.

The trigger guard is not original, but looks like the the original might have looked.

Other than the wood and trigger guard, the gun looks very nice, to me.

I am asking for help on history, manufacture date, Schematic, etc?

Where might I buy original "matching" wood parts?

I have heard & read about model numbers 215, 311, 315. Which might this gun be? The gun dealer I bought it from called it a 311, but...

Any information will be appreciated.

Mule

Post subject: Re: Stevens SxS 12 gauge
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:29 am 
Crown Grade

The receivers marked 5100 seem to be a basic Stevens/Springfield action type which was used on a number of different models. In the old Stevens paper, I first see this action appearing on the Stevens No. 530M, introduced in 1940 with the Tenite stock and forearm --

Pre-WW-II the Springfield No. 311 was a cheaper version of the G.S. Lewis Patent No. 1,136,247 action which was also used on the Riverside and Springfield No. 315, the Stevens No. 330 and 530. In the 1947 Savage/Stevens/Springfield/Fox catalogue the pre-War Stevens No. 530M was now the Springfield No. 311, and by the 1948 Savage/Stevens/Fox catalogue it was the Stevens No. 311.

It seems that during the 1940s, and interrupted by WW-II, the factories at Chicopee Falls went from building all their different doubles on the G.S. Lewis action to building them on this action often marked 5100. I wonder if this could have come from the residue of Savage's Crescent-Davis factory at Norwich, Conn., which was closed November 1935, and the remains moved to Chicopee Falls?!?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:52 pm 
Field Grade

""It seems that during the 1940s, and interrupted by WW-II, the factories at Chicopee Falls went from building all their different doubles on the G.S. Lewis action to building them on this action often marked 5100. I wonder if this could have come from the residue of Savage's Crescent-Davis factory at Norwich, Conn., which was closed November 1935, and the remains moved to Chicopee Falls?!?""

HMMM, I wonder all kinds of things about these old guns, cause I know so very little.
Thanks for the input.

Mule

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Your Stevens Model 5100 is marked as made in 1956, and is a remarked Model 311, so 311 wood from Bob's Gun Shop (google), albeit somewhat plainer, will fit.

(A rose is a rose is a rose is a Model 311, by any other name ;) .

Replacement sheet metal triggerguards are available, and IIRC, Numrich Arms should have schematics.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:36 pm 
Field Grade

CriscoKid wrote:
Your Stevens Model 5100 is marked as made in 1956, and is a remarked Model 311, so 311 wood from Bob's Gun Shop (google), albeit somewhat plainer, will fit.

Thanks for the help.
What do you mean by; "remarked" Model 311"?

I would really like to get some used matching wood, but, sometimes a person can't be picky. The important thing is that it fit properly and match.

Mule

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:36 pm 
Crown Grade

AFAIK, the Model 5100's were made of the same materials, on the same machines, as Model 311's - but were marked "5100" ILO "311" or no designation (as was sometimes the case).

IIRC, 5100's had plain walnut, while 311's had a non-walnut yellow/white hardwood under the walnut stain (birch ?).

If you want a stock that's nicer than issue, try Macon Gunstocks.

http://macongunstocks.net/stevens_sprin ... ts_69.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:42 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the link to Macon Gun Stocks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:07 pm 
Field Grade

Well, it is cold outside and I'm inside, so I'm looking at this Stevens again. I have found one more mark on it. I probably won't give y'all any more to work with, but...Hand stamped on the cocking pin boss, is an oval border with a S in it. In the top half circle of the S is a P, in the bottom half circle of the S in a T.
Can any one tell me what all that stands for?

I hope it ain't too late to revive this old thread.

Thanks
Mule

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Want to pick you collective brains, I have a Stevens SxS 12 gauge, single trigger, short barrel coach gun. Bought it at a pawn shop because I wanted a short barrel shotgun. Just want to know the model and maybe and age for the gun. It is hammer-less, made in Chicopee Falls, Mass, a picture of a goose on the other side, J. Stevens Arms Company is the maker, double bead sight, and a bulb at the end of the forearm (have not seen it on other shotgun). Where the date code is spouse to be it has a 12 or a I2. let me know if you need me to try to find anymore info on the shotgun. Thanks