CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Value of a 1930's Browning auto 5
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum so i apologize in advance if this post causes someone discomfort.

I just dated my fathers Browning Auto-5 Light 12g to about the 1930's It's serial number is 213226.

There are very few scratches and dings on the barrel and receiver, the wood has one well done plug in the front and the stock has a pretty good wood fix on the very bottom of the back. it has the original butt pad, and only a couple screws show any sign of wear. it also still fires like a wet dream.

What do you guys think the approximate value of the weapon is?

thanks for your replies.

Post subject: Re: Value of a 1930's Browning auto 5
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:54 am 
Crown Grade

It would be best if you researched ONLY sold/closed gun auction websites like gunbroker or auctions for another in like condition, to find out how much somebody else has recently actualy been willing to pay for one.

I would think a used A-5 with a repaired stock would be hard-pressed to make $350.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:03 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a quick question...how much is this worth roughly? I don't plan on selling it, but it will get used, I was jsut curious. Details:
Browning Auto-5 20 gauge serial: 7Z9680, Belgium made, purchased 7-7-79 by original owner as shown in original booklet printed in 1966.

The choke markings show **- which designates an improved cylinder.

Anyone with info of any kind on this gun please post a reply.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:58 pm 
Crown Grade

[Browning Auto-5 20 gauge serial: 7Z9680, Belgium made, purchased 7-7-79]

The SN indicates that it was made in 1967, the beginning of the infamout Browning saltwood era - so it could be a saltwood gun.

If it has/had saltwood, or the damage to the metal underpinnings, there could be a value reduction of up to 50% normal value.

Value is commensurate with condition, best expressed as the remaining % of original factory finish on wood & metal parts, the mechanical operating condition, and the stating of any known defects like cracks, dents, and/or rust.

Also, with FN guns, VR or no VR makes a difference in valuation.

The next time you have a question on a gun, could you please be polite enough to start your own thread/line-of-inquiry, ILO hijacking another's thread ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:33 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you for your help, and sorry for hijacking someone else's post. I didn't know that wasn't polite or wrong, sorry, won't happen again. I wouldn't know if it was "saltwood," nor do I know how to recognize it. There is no damage to the underpinnings though. The wood is a light color, like a light brown. No cracks, just a few scratches on the wood. The metal is original, no rust, couple scratches, punched ivey and flowers. Like I said, this gun was used, and I plan on using it, it is in great working condition. I don't think I'd ever sell this gun...I plan on handing it down, just like it was to me. I just wanted an idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:17 am 
Crown Grade

IMO, Today's market value for a 20ga in that condition w/o saltwood would be about $400, +/-.
You can add about $100 for a vent rib model.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:39 am 
Crown Grade

Westmond wrote:
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum so i apologize in advance if this post causes someone discomfort.

I just dated my fathers Browning Auto-5 Light 12g to about the 1930's It's serial number is 213226.

Highly unlikely you have a 1930's Light-12 since the Light-12 wasn't introduced until 1946.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:43 am 
Crown Grade

There are no salt wood A-5's.

$700.00 is a good starting price for a Light-20 unless it is a dog.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:50 am 
Crown Grade

A5Mag12 wrote:
There are no salt wood A-5's.

$700.00 is a good starting price for a Light-20 unless it is a dog.

I thought the saltwood issue went across the complete Browning line, from 1966 through the early 70's, including (besides A-5's) Superposed's, FN centerfire bolt-action rifles, & .22 T-Bolt's - but not the .22 Auto.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:50 pm 
Utility Grade

Am first-time user. My question is the same as that of the person asking about his 12-ga Auto 5. Did some research but the information obtained is confusing. Perhaps someone can clear things up.

Serial number on my gun is 146065, which indicates that it was made in 1939 or earlier (ref: www.browning.com/customerservice/dategun/detail). Shotgun World is more specific identifying 1930 as the year of manufacture. Manufacturer is FN and "made in Belgium" is clearly stated on the gun. But the above reference Browning states that FN did not take over production of the Auto 5 until 1952 and serial numbers that year started at 346001. So there is a discrepancy here.

I bought the gun in 1962 from a Japanese-American friend who said the gun was confiscated at the start of WW2, but he was able to retrieve it after the war, so I am sure the gun was made before 1941. I used it on upland game birds. Worked fine. However, it was badly worn...little or no bluing left and a stock with lots of bruises and dents. It is not engraved and does not have a ventilated rib.

Expert with "Ask" informed me that even if fully reconditioned, the gun might fetch $250 on the open market. This agrees fairly well with amounts shown on this forum for the Auto 5s of that era.

Anyone think differently?