CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gebruder Merkel Suhl Over/Under Shotgun
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:24 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm wanting to know more information about this Merkel shotgun that my father has. I've done a little research, but have not been able to find any information on what the model is and if there is any value. It is a beautiful gun - I'd like to be able to use it pheasant hunting if possible!

Thank you for any insight!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8268178@N0 ... 557552506/

Post subject: Re: Gebruder Merkel Suhl Over/Under Shotgun
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:11 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you for help posting the pictures!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

(good naturedly) You are joking right? Lol

You've got a beautiful shotgun there. I have a great uncle who brought one like this back from WWII and he's still shooting it. Your dad's gun looks like his. You can contact Merkel and they'll tell you more about it, but you have one fine shotgun there. I'd not shoot steel through it.

Value? Oh, gee I don't know, but in the several to many thousands. What a fine piece. Enjoy it. It's made to be shot so shoot it and pass it on to your kids.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:34 pm 
Utility Grade

From what little research I've done, it certainly has value (quite a bit too in my book). I've been the most interested in learning about its age (pre or post WWII) and what model it is. Is this considered a high grade for a Merkel?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:03 pm 
Utility Grade

Do you need better pictures to identify the shotgun?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:50 pm 
Crown Grade

Post some clear, close-up photos of the Merkel on the SGW German Gun forum. Remove the forearm and separate the barrels from the frame to expose the proof and date marks on the underside of the barrels and frame. Those markings together with good views of the underlugs and engraving may help the regulars on the German Gun forum to I.D. the Model.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:16 am 
Utility Grade

Unfortunately, I can't get a photo to come out any clearer than those I posted earlier. Any ideas on age or model? I'm not sure whether I'm going to keep and use the gun or sell it (too nice and don't want to damage). I've seen values on these guns from $1,000 up to infinity. If it is a $1,000 gun, I'm not too worried. If this is closer to a $5,000 gun, I'm probably going to find a broker to sell it.