CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JP Sauer & Sohn Suhl Shotgun
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:20 pm 
Utility Grade

I need help in identifying a JP Sauer & Sohn Suhl Shotgun. I have included pictures. On the trigger guard is number 387360. When I take off the barrel, below the firing mech is the same number. On the bottom of the flat area in front of the trigger is Fortuna Werk Veb Suhl. On the part where the stock disengages from the barrel release is a number 7368. I have included pictures. I have two questions. Can someone tell me the make, model and history of this shotgun ( got from my grandfather)? secondly, there is some surface rust on the barrel. If I take it to a gunsmith to get reblued etc... does it lose its value?

I do not know how to submit an image, so maybe someone can help?

Randall

Post subject: Re: JP Sauer & Sohn Suhl Shotgun
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Here's a thread from a few years ago: viewtopic.php?t=162022

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:08 am 
Presentation Grade

Hi Randall,

unfortunately, I can't see photos.

Anyway: your Sauer is a post-war East German Sauer (VEB = Volkseigener Betrieb = People-owned enterprise) made at the end of the 40s/beginning of the 50s.

Photos would help to tell more.

Regards

Martin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:58 am 
Utility Grade

Unfortuneatly, I do not know how to upload pictures. I have them on my computer, but I am unfamiliar with this bulletin board and how to get my pictures in this question.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:04 am 
Crown Grade

You can post pix here in two different ways.

1) Look at our FAQ for instructions on uploading the pix to our photo section.

or

2) Register at any (free) online pic hosting website, like photobucket, etc, & upload your pics to the host.
Once uploaded to the host site, your pics may be resized (usually smaller), and the pic's url copied/pasted into your post here, framed immediately with

[img] leading

and

[/img] trailing it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:22 am 
Utility Grade

Thansk for all the help. Here are the pictures.

Last edited by rconley on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:28 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks for the photo of the proofs. Typical early GDR proofs. Yours was proofed in April 1950 (450 = proof date April '50).

The gun is a model VIIIE, that means, a model 8 with ejectors.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:33 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks Sauerfan. You are quick. I am very interested in the second half of my question which is.

I have surface rust on the barrell. If I get it reblued, will it lose value? I would like to take it to a gunsmith to get it reconditioned so I can pass it along to my kids in better shape than it is now.

Thanks again for everything.

Also, when I look at pictures of this era shotgun, I notice the scrolling on the side all seems to be different and I have not seen any like mine. Was this done per model of gun or simply at the manufacturers whim?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:53 am 
Presentation Grade

Hi rconley,

to your main question: well, reblue could decrease the value. But, honestly, these post-war GDR Sauers aren’t guns on the same level as a Purdey or the like. So, this will not really will be a factor.

Anyway: before reblueing it: have you tried to do a steel wool job? Soak fine steel wool in gun oil (never ! use dry steel wool) and go over the barrel and all parts having some surface rust. The blueing will not be influenced. But the fine rust will disappear.

Regarding your last question: honestly, I’m not sure what you are after. Sure, the scroll engraving of a post-war Sauer model VIIIE looks different compared to a model VIIIE of the pre-war era. And every manufacturer choosed his own pattern.

>Regards

Martin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:30 pm 
Crown Grade

BTW, if you opt for reinishing the barrels, i would stay far away from most gunsmiths, since most use a modern hot blue/black that (beside resulting in the wrong color) can melt the solder joining the barrel ribs.

You would be best served by searching out a good doublegunsmith for the job - even if you have to ship the barrels out (no FFL req'd for parts).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:39 am 
Tournament Grade

CriscoKid...

I have an old Spanish lady... 1930's G Arrizaga... that needs rebluing...
and waiting on an even older Belgian hammer gun that I am sure will need some barrel work... any suggestion on who to use???

Thanks... Ray

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:01 pm 
Crown Grade

I can't make any personal recommendations, since I've only rust blued my own - but would suggest speaking with different prospective refinishers, to determine exactly what bluing method(s) he/she uses (some use a couple of diferent methods for different firearms - like Doug Turnbull, NY)

While Turnbull is among the best, he's likely also among the most expensive - but, you get what you pay for.

I would like to first examine an example or two of the prospect's finished work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:11 pm 
Utility Grade

sauerfan wrote:
Thanks for the photo of the proofs. Typical early GDR proofs. Yours was proofed in April 1950 (450 = proof date April '50).

The gun is a model VIIIE, that means, a model 8 with ejectors.

I have basically the same shotgun with a lower serial number (218896) but I cannot find the proof number. Instead of the 13 10 13 10 mine has 13 12 13 12. Also mine is extremely engraved with waterfowl on the sides and 2 laying labs at the bottom of the receiver. I cannot find in any of my book sources any references to it. It appears to be boxlock, has two triggers, auto-ejectors and auto-safety. I am not a collector and like to shoot what I have so need to sell this last SxS. I lost sight of my right eye some 10 years ago and right handed SxS are just impossible for me to shoot left handed. I know that it has lost value because some 35 to 40 years ago I had major work done to use it a a skeet gun. Had a pad installed, blue matted, shorten the barrels to 26" and custom chokes and key, skeet, skeet, IC and Mod. It is in otherwise perfect condition with some minor stock dings from prior owner. Any ideas as to manufacturing date and it's model? Thanks