Shotgun Forum banner

Questions: Ithaca RoadBlocker and Stakeout

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  philasteen 
#1 ·
Hello Forum

First post here, I wish I'd known about this forum before today.

I have two questions, on the Ithaca Roadblocker and Ithaca Stakeout:

1. I am looking to add to my collection a MAG-10 Roadblocker. To date, I have seen now three examples of a MAG-10 being sold as a "Roadblocker." However, none of them have had the word "Roadblocker" marked on the gun. The three examples each appeared to have factory short barrels. The length of barrels was around 21.5" on all of the three.

Does anyone know if any of the Roadblocker guns were actually marked as such? Is there another way to identify a MAG-10 as being a Roadlocker vs. being a MAG-10 with a short or shortened barrel? My preference would be to get a gun marked "Roadblocker" but I am beginning to wonder if that exists.

2. I have an Ithaca Stakeout Model 37 (factory pistol grip AOW shotgun). The s/n range is 3720004xxHG. What does the HG denote? And what year was this gun produced?

TIA

See less See more
#2 ·
The HG is the suffix that designates the weapon as an AOW, and only subject to the $5.00 tax stamp instead of the $200.00 tax stamp for a short barrel shotgun or weapon made from a shotgun. The HG designates that the receiver was a virgin receiver, never had a shoulder stock on it and therefore is an Any Other Weapon and not a weapon made from a shotgun.

I am pretty sure that the HG stands for "handgun". If you put a shoulder stock on the "Stakeout" you have just manufactured a short barrel shotgun and it is subject to the $200.00 tax.

Not sure about the age.

As for the Road Blocker, I have never seen one marked "Road Blocker".

I had a "Bear Stopper" at one time, model 37 with factory pistol grip and 18 inch barrel. It was not marked "Bear Stopper", but that was the model designation in the catalog.

#4 ·
Walt - it does indeed have a handstrap on the slide.

Interestingly, my other stakeout, which is a short barrel shotgun, does not have either the handstrap or the "HG" suffix. It's much older though, a mid-60's serial number.

Edited: Correction, it's a short barrel shotgun.

#6 ·
I have two guns I would describe as "stakeouts." The first one is the late 80's HG suffixed AOW one I mentioned above.

The other is a s/n 10304xx. It is papered as a short barrel shotgun. It appears to be a factory 13.5" barrel, same as the AOW stakeout. The receiver is plain (no duck scene), parked and engraved (very neatly) Union, NJ PD. The stock is not original but the slide appears to be and has an oiled wood handguard. Non-rifled barrel.

The M3A1 is a Korean war Ithaca made greasegun, pre-86 dealer sample. Refinished at some point but in very nice condition. sn 7247xx.

After writing this I realized I have a mistake in my signature and prior post describing this as a SBR instead of a SBS, now fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.