CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SX3 Barrel Question
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:56 am 
Field Grade

So i am doing a full strip to clean my SX3. I have the manual out, and noticed this about barrels.

at first i was excited, but then their "restrictions" pretty much ruled out EVERYTHING but sx3 barrels.

to me that is not versatile at all. and a far cry from "all shotgun barrels are interchangeable"

so is this lawyer talk? i would love to have an HD barrel (18-20in) but SX3 barrels are very pricey.

WINCHESTER SX3

Post subject: Re: SX3 Barrel Question
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:50 am 
Crown Grade

What part of "common sense" did not kick in here? :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:18 pm 
Field Grade

Ole Cowboy wrote:
What part of "common sense" did not kick in here? :roll:

ME?!
this being in the manual and how its written, has made me question my common sense. A lot of gun parts are compatible between models, so its not entirely crazy.

WINCHESTER SX3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:30 pm 
Crown Grade

It says "all shotgun barrels are interchangeable WITHIN A GIVEN GAUGE AND CHAMBER LENGTH"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:11 pm 
Field Grade

Ole Cowboy wrote:
It says "all shotgun barrels are interchangeable WITHIN A GIVEN GAUGE AND CHAMBER LENGTH"

its the use of "ALL shotgun barrels"

your cap words is the obvious part. but to me All = 100%

i guess i should rephrase....

I find it bizarre to say "ALL" then restrict that "ALL List" to .001%. why?

why not save a page of the manual and only say " Only use SX3 barrels with the same chamber."

im curious IF there are other barrel options out there. browning gold?

WINCHESTER SX3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:27 pm 
Crown Grade

:roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

As far as I can tell, if you have a 26-inch barrel you can buy and use a 28-inch barrel (of the same gauge and chamber size) and the other way round. Those are your only choices. I have a 26 and for $300+ I could add two inches. Perhaps with time the options will increase.

Remington 870 Express 12 and Wingmaster 410
Weatherby Orion (SKB) 20 gauge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

If you read that and thought that a Remington barrel would fit a Winchester gun as long as chamber length and gauge were the same, thats not going to work. Guns are just like cars, chevy parts dont fit on fords. The only part of the manual I dont agree with is the part about rifled barresl are only for guns designed for them. I would think you could put a slug barrel on a regular receiver and make it a slug gun. As long as it was a 3" receiver to begin with. Unless they consider all SX3's designed for rifled barrels. I guess thats a question for the powers to be at winchester.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:35 pm 

The Gold won't interchange with the SX3. The SX3 has the thinner forearm so the SX2 and the Browning Silver will not either.

SX3 barrels interchange with SX3's as long as they are the same chamber length. There is only the 12 for the SX3's so you don't have to worry about gauge.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:00 am 
Field Grade

in other words.... they should have never put any of this in the manual, lol i guess they need to fire their copy editor.

i just found it odd to mention "versatility" when there are only 5 models total, and the restrictions pretty much take you down to one other barrel, and 2in +/- doesn't mean crap. :lol:

WINCHESTER SX3