CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Question about the Mossberg 500 Road Blocker
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

Heh, my stepdad and I use the same comparison with guitars, and agreed that it applies to just about everyone else!

I like my 590A1 because, as I've stated, I'm pretty sure I could base-ball bat the receiver (either the ghost-ring sight or the trigger guard) into a zombie skull and not damage anything :P .

But, don't get too caught up in your first shotgun. A $200-dollar Maverick88 7+1 model would suit you just fine, and still be perfectly adequate for HD. Just figure out what all you really want to be able to do with the weapon (up to and including shooting your way through mobs of zombies... and I'm only half joking ;-) ), and we'll be glad to get you set up with something good!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you prefer the 870, you could go with the police version instead of the Express-- some of the internals are heavier-duty, and they're assembled with more care.

The 14" versions are restricted, but the 18" ones are not.

http://www.remingtonle.com/shotguns/shotguns.htm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:20 am 
Utility Grade

NHrural wrote:
If you prefer the 870, you could go with the police version instead of the Express-- some of the internals are heavier-duty, and they're assembled with more care.

The 14" versions are restricted, but the 18" ones are not.

http://www.remingtonle.com/shotguns/shotguns.htm

Thanks NHrural, the link doesn't seem to be working, but I found one here -
http://www.impactguns.com/store/rem_870_police_shotguns.html

That is a very nice [mean] looking SG!

If I don't feel comfortable shooting with the pistol grip, is it possible to go with a stock only. I do like the looks of the pistol grip and actually prefer the looks of a pistol grip and stock over the stock only, but if for some reason it doesn't work for me, can I change it?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you're looking at a defensive gun, you need to divorce yourself from what looks good as opposed to what works well.
If you're wanting a fun gun, there's nothing wrong with looks.
If you want a pistol gripped stock there are a variety of stocks available for the Remington out there.
There are a ton of conventional stocks that you can put on as well. It is not a difficult job to change a stock out to whatever you want to use.
The Hogue youth models are a good option for conventional stocks and may fit you better.

http://www.weaponevolution.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Changing a stock usually requires removing the recoil pad(2 screws), and then using a long screwdriver or socket extension to remove the bolt holding the stock to the receiver. See http://www.remington.com/~/media/Files/ ... m_870.ashx page 16

There are a lot of aftermarket stocks for the 870 and 500/590.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:25 pm 
Crown Grade

keep in mind, the super expensive benellis are not the only semi auto out there. You might consider the Mossberg 930, Remington 1100, Stoeger M2000, FN SLP (almost as expensive as the benelli), ect. Of course, as with any gun, you need to insure that it will run relighably before you trust your life to it. The advantage with a semi auto is that once you know it works, you can be pretty sure that it will continue to work when stuff goes wrong. With a pump gun, there is a human element, and even if you have 1000 shells through the gun, when the pressure is on, you might cause a malfunction.
Also, when that ex con with a stolen gun kicks in your door at 3:00, and you are scared, having a real shoulder stock on the gun, whether it's a conventional stock or a pistol grip shoulder stock, will make the gun much easier to aim and fire under pressure than if the gun is set up with a PGO.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

Im not gonna lie, PG full stocks look swee to me and are much more comfortable to use when firing. However, especially on mossbergs, there are some ergonomic issues I didn't want to worry about, so I kept the original stock.

But my GFs M500 (.410) has a super-short pistolgrip stock (10.25" LOP) for that aforementioned shooting comfort, knowing she won't be doing complex select slug drills and such, or performing any buttstrokes heh.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:24 am 
Utility Grade

I would say Mossy 500 or Maverick 88.If you want pistol grip and stock and adjustability in lop,add a Knoxx Spec Ops stock to either one.I have the Knoxx on a 500 w/18.5" barrel and will order one for my Maverick 88 that has 28" vent rib.I do like the safety location on the Maverick better because it's more like my rifles,the Mossy seems to be in a odd place(have owned several and keep coming back to them),guess I'm getting used to the top mount safety.YMMV

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:40 pm 
Field Grade

Well, it's Sunday. Did you get anything?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:48 pm 
Limited Edition

You're better off with a ported barrel or a ported choke tube than that brake.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

Even still, I've heard from many sources that the benefits of porting are still quite arguable.

But yeah, Sky, did you get anything???

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:26 pm 
Limited Edition

[quote="JMcDonald"]Even still, I've heard from many sources that the benefits of porting are still quite arguable.

But yeah, Sky, did you get anything???[/quote]

I do know that MagnaPort works but it's very loud.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:38 pm 
Field Grade

Sky Masterson wrote:
I understand, thanks.

(I'm still trying to understand why I'd get "laughed at" for having one without that MB??)

Since that MB serves no other purpose than aesthetics, which Mossberg would you recommend that is similar, but without that MB, personally I think it looks a bit too 'RoboCop-ish'.

I like the pistol grip shotguns, so would you mind giving me some other 12 gauges to consider?

Thank you.

* Before I get flamed on for saying I like the pistol grip, I want one because I believe that it is more maneuverable and quicker to get off a shot in a panic situation.

EDIT:
The 2 posts above mine came through while I was typing this. Thanks for the explanation, NHrural, m24shooter.

It may be more maneuverable, but after the first time it smashes into your nose under recoil, you'll probably want a regular buttstock.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

Unless you're in a car or on an entry team, you don't need PGO maneuverability. What PGO shotguns do really well is miss. Yes, miss!
Without getting into a 00-buck vs other loads discussion, at 3-7 yards (typical HD distance) even #8 shot makes about a softball sized hole. So there's easily over 2-ft of hallway width not covered and miss-able. Without a buttstock (even just touching your side), you significantly lose the ability to index the muzzle to a much tighter degree at a threat even without a normal sight picture.

Now, look at that RoadBlocker brake. Do you really want the muzzle blast barely 24" away coming back at you? NO! These are a really (literally) retarded application. Shame on you Mossberg.

So what works? A 12-GA pump with a extended mag tube. I prefer Remington 870s but Mossy's work fine. Semi-autos can be finicky with ammo and often don't cycle with the low recoil loads. Yes, 2-3/4" low recoil loads because at inside distances shot placement and follow-ups are critical; penetration will be fine. 12-GA low recoil loads feel like shooting a 20-GA , the difference only being felt by the target/threat.

Here's where I strongly suggest Federal LE13200 9-pellet 00-buck because it gives the tightest groups and extends your effective range typically by 5 yards. Effective range is the distance at which ALL pellets stay within the torso bottle; regardless of what load you choose. While you want hits, you surely don't want stray pellets... To this end, you'll need to pattern test your shotgun to determine what loads you and it commonly prefer; this can vary significantly between different barrels in the same model of shotgun. And, I admit, 00-buck may not be the best choice if you're in an apartment.

Standard bead sights work fine for HD applications; ghost rings really benefit slugs.
If you want extra ammo capacity, consider either a Side-Saddle or a butt-cuff shell holder; it's personal preference.
Slings don't belong on inside home defense guns because they have an amazing and very annoying affinity to catch door knobs.
Store the shotgun with the magazine tube at one-round-UNDER-capacity because it helps prevent spring set; safety is off, and the chamber is empty (aka "cruiser- or closet-ready").
Obviously take precautions to ensure that children and untrained adults do not access any firearms as required by all applicable laws, ordinances, etc.

Definitely get some training, practise occaisionally and you'll really learn to love your shotgun for defense.

my $0.03; hope it helps.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was totally with you right up until:
GDubya wrote:
Slings don't belong on inside home defense guns because they have an amazing and very annoying affinity to catch door knobs.
Store the shotgun with the magazine tube at one-round-UNDER-capacity because it helps prevent spring set; safety is off, and the chamber is empty (aka "cruiser- or closet-ready").

Modern mag springs won't set like that. My sling doesn't get hung up on stuff and I like having it.

Other than that - great post!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

sjohnny wrote:
Modern mag springs won't set like that. My sling doesn't get hung up on stuff and I like having it.

You're correct: spring "bind" is more what I was after. With an 18" tube loaded to 6, you'll barely have 2-3" empty to stack 25+ inches of 60+ spring coils; very tight/conjested! That's why I stoke 5, with 3 + 2 slugs on the butt-cuff. Yes, home invaders may come in multiples, but beyond that I really need SWAT.

With a 2-point sling, unless you utilize some marksman-style elbow wrap/tensioning that may affect ability to speed rack, it's a real liability to snag door knobs when pieing corners and moving along walls (you're utilizing concealment/cover, right, not going straight down the center of the hall?) when clearing your house, catching chair backs and whatever's sitting on tables and counters (which makes noise). Mr. Murphy lives in my house. I do like my sling too if the excercise is going out on the road; mine's folded in a zippered pocket incorporated in the butt-cuff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:41 pm 
Field Grade

My 2 cents. Get a model with two barrels, one for HD and one to take to the range and shoot target or trap. Sure, you can show up at the range and shoot your HD gun. But you may be likely to shoot it more with the longer barrel giving you a real chance at hitting a few clays, for example. My point is not that you have to shoot trap or something. My point is that the more you shoot this gun, the more comfortable you'll be with it and the more effective it will be for you if you ever need it for HD.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

patrick07 makes a good point on the option of getting a second longer barrel, should that utility strike your fancy.

One more consideration on initial purchases:
A shorter Length Of Pull (LOP = distance between the trigger face and the end of the butt-stock/recoil pad) allows you to shoulder the shotgun quicker.
Now, you can cut down a regular length stock, ~1" to achieve LOP = 12-3/4" to 13", but you'll need to match up a different recoil pad because the circumferential profile will then be slightly smaller. "Youth"-stocked guns afford said 13" LOP from the get-go, else they're $55-85 aftermarket.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:33 pm 
Crown Grade

GDubya wrote:

With a 2-point sling, unless you utilize some marksman-style elbow wrap/tensioning that may affect ability to speed rack, it's a real liability to snag door knobs when pieing corners and moving along walls (you're utilizing concealment/cover, right, not going straight down the center of the hall?) when clearing your house, catching chair backs and whatever's sitting on tables and counters (which makes noise). Mr. Murphy lives in my house. I do like my sling too if the excercise is going out on the road; mine's folded in a zippered pocket incorporated in the butt-cuff.

In my experience, when a simple 2point sling is adjusted properly, it doesn't hang down far at all. For me at least, when the sling is most comfortable for carrying, it doesn't hang more than 6" below the gun. I generally run my rifle slings longer so that you can use the sling to steady the rifle, but I keep them nice and tight on a shotgun. On defensive weapons, I tend to shy towards "tactical" 2 points, which don't hang down because they are wrapped around your body, and are even less likely to snag. Quite frankly, in my experience, if you are snagging your sling on stuff, then you are probably doing something wrong. Removing the sling is a hardware solution to a software problem.
There are many reasons to have a sling or alternative carry method of some sort on any long gun, and no good reason not to. What happens if you need your hands to help a child or injured family member? What if you need both hands to move furniture to block a door? What are you going to do with your gun? Leave it, potentially for the bad guy to find?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

TempestV wrote:
For me at least, when the sling is most comfortable for carrying, it doesn't hang more than 6" below the gun....
....Quite frankly, in my experience, if you are snagging your sling on stuff, then you are probably doing something wrong. Removing the sling is a hardware solution to a software problem.

In my book, and per a number of instructors that I've trained with, even your stated 6" drop and gap over a ~32" triangulated span (presuming sling attachment points toward the rear of the buttstock and infront of the mag extension) affords a significant opportunity to snag or drag something. When you maneuver to pie corners or to cross thresholds/doorways, you often rotate the muzzle downward to bring the weapon closer to your body to avoid grabs, then rotate it again upwards. You'll do well not to bang the shotgun and yourself into things in the dark, lest worry about that sling. And in order to sling my shotgun over my shoulder, muzzle down underside forward and with my hand on the forend (enabling it to rapidly shouldered with the upward-rotated technique), my sling's even longer yielding more looping. I don't care to have to mess with an adjustable tac sling at dark:30 when adrenaline's rushing and fine motor skills are already challenged. And you're going to sling your weapon with a deadly threat still present/active while you aid a family member? How are you going to help or protect them when you're dead? I'm going to be holding on to my shotgun with my strong hand. Respectfully, I submit that we also remain apart on our software notions.