CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Beretta 1200FP ?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:46 am 
Tournament Grade

As far as stocks and forends, anything that works on the 1201FP will work with 1200FP.
That includes the Benelli M1 and Choate PG stocks and Surefire forend.

Aftermarket extended safeties and bolt handles for the Benelli S90M1 will work on both 1200FP and 1201FP models.

Brownell's is the US distributor for Beretta 1200/1201 parts.....
the differences in the 1200 and 1201 are mostly in the trigger mechanism and the slide/shell release mechanisms.
On the 1200 model, the shell release gate at the mag tube is actually an extension of the slide release button...one part.
On the 1201, these are two separate pieces.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:34 pm 
Field Grade

I own a 1200 FP (20" barrel 2 3/4" chamber)

I recently saw a 1201FP barrel (18" barrel, 3" chamber.) for sale.

Would the 1201FP barrel fit and function on my 1200 FP?

Post subject: Re: Beretta 1200/1201FP accessory rail
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:59 am 
Presentation Grade

BioHazard wrote:

Is it just me, or is you light going to illuminate the back of your sling?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:34 am 
Tournament Grade

The short answer is.....yes.
but only when it's dangling! :D

That particular shotgun now has a single point sling.....
I removed the muzzle sling swivel.

Beretta recently sold a bunch of NOS 1200FP barrels at $79 each.....
when I called and asked if these would fit the 1201FP, whoever I talked to said "No.....they only fit the exact model number specified."

I'm not so sure of that but not having solid information to the contrary, I would go with that.

Since the magazine tube endcap is welded to the barrel and there were several magazine capacities offered for the 1200, 1200F and 1200FP, the barrel configuration you use has to match the magazine tube length. According to Brownells, there are three magazine tube lengths for the 1200 series......I believe all 1200 FPs were 6+1+1, the longest magazine tube offered and all 1200Fs (hunter version) were 4 round tubes.

On late model 1201FPs produced after '95 or so, the 6 rd magazine tubes were crimped to reduce the capacity to 5 and the bolt carrier was modified to prevent floating a shell on the lifter, so they are 5+1.

Since the 1200/1201 design is the red-headed stepchild of the Benelli/Beretta union, there's not a lot of solid information out there about these unique and mysterious shotguns.

Neither Benelli nor Beretta include them in their firearms history other than a brief footnote that they were developed in the late 80s and sold through the 90s and that the 1200 series led to the M1S90, which eventually supplanted it. Dedicated Benelli fans and dedicated Beretta fans both see the 1200/1201 as an outcast or renegade, not really belonging to either brand.

All of which only adds to the FP's mystique.......

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:38 pm 
Field Grade

BioHazard wrote:
Beretta recently sold a bunch of NOS 1200FP barrels at $79 each.....
when I called and asked if these would fit the 1201FP, whoever I talked to said "No.....they only fit the exact model number specified."

I'm not so sure of that but not having solid information to the contrary, I would go with that.

I called and spoke with a gunsmith tech at Brownells. He said the 1201FP and 1200FP barrels will interchange.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

Good information for all 1200/1201 owners.....
I suspected as much, but it's good to have a professional's confirmation.

Thanks for posting that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:31 am 
Utility Grade

Hi there,

I've been having some trouble with a Beretta 1200fp and it looks like some of you guys might be able to help: my father bought it new in the states many years ago and used it for a bit back then, It's been sitting in the safe for the best part of 20 years and just recently I got it out. He told me he had been having problems with it back then and that's why it had been forgotten in the safe.

After firing the first shot It doesn't feed the next one into the chamber, the lifter doesn't flick up. I have to push the carrier stop push button (part A6 in the manual) to get it to flick up again. Due to this I can't get it to fire semi auto (which kind of defeats the purpose of a semi auto shotgun)

Apparently My father encountered this problem and disassembled then reassembled it following the instructions in the manual but could not fix it.

Here in New Zealand this type of shotgun is not particularly common so local knowledge is short, thought i would post on here and see if anyone might know how to fix this???
Any help would be much appreciated

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Although I make no claims of being an expert on the Beretta 1200 series, I have made an effort to learn all I can about these shotguns since spring when I purchased a pair of them.

I'm betting the issue you're seeing is only seen with dry cycling as opposed to live fire, correct??

If you're talking about no feed during live fire, then this may not apply.

The Beretta 1200/1201 has an unusual manual of arms that often confuses owners familiar with conventional autoloaders. It is most similar to a Benelli M1S90, but a few of the controls have been moved on the Benelli.

One obvious difference with standard autoloaders.....
if you load the magazine tube and the chamber, cycling the bolt manually by hand does NOT feed a shell from the tube. It only extracts the round out of the chamber and that's all!

This seems counter-intuitive to most users but it is in fact a very safe method of operation. With the Beretta 1200 fully loaded, you can cycle the bolt and remove the chambered round without feeding a round from the tube. You can leave the gun stored in this condition and all you need to do is hit the shell release and cycle the bolt (or if you have an EXCELLENT long term memory, pull the trigger and cycle the bolt). Either of these steps will feed a round on the lifter so that cycling the bolt chambers it.

Once you get use to this, I think most will agree it's a great feature.

Only three conditions will feed a round from the tube onto the lifter with these Berettas:
1) hitting the shell release button (in the base of the lifter) as you mentioned above
2) fully pressing the slide release (two stages)
3) pulling the trigger!

This allows you to unload the chamber while keeping the magazine fully topped up.
As a result of this feature, new rounds can be inserted in the magazine at any time....
you can feed in a new round at any time during normal operation....the lifter is always in the ready position, unless you manually drop it.

This also facilitates "floating a round" on the lifter......
the lifter in the load position holds the shell release gate in the closed position....
with a fully loaded magazine and a loaded chamber, you can easily swap the shell in the chamber for a different type of cartridge (Buck, slug or birdshot).

Partially open the bolt. With your thumb, press the extracted round onto the lifter.
Holding it firmly against the lifter, reach under and press the shell release while pressing down on the extracted shell. As the lifter drops, the shell will drop down and hold the shell release at the magazine tube in place, preventing a new shell from feeding. Now you can drop a shell in the chamber and you are fully topped up.
6+1+1.....6 rounds in the tube, one on the lifter and one in the chamber.
When you pull the trigger in this configuration, the Beretta KNOWS not to feed a shell from the magazine, since the shell on the lifter is holding the shell release gate in the closed position. Think of it as a loaded lifter sensor?

The gun spits the fired shell out, the lifter rises and feeds the floated round and lifter drops to the ready position. This time when you pull the trigger, the lifter drops but now there is no round on the lifter to hold the release gate closed, so a new round feeds onto the lifter which depresses the lifter position lever which closes the loading gate.

In essense, the gun is smarter than the shooter! :)
It knows if there is a round sitting on the lifter or not and will not double feed when the trigger is pulled.

However, do NOT, under any circumstances, hit the slide release when you're in a 6+1+1 configuration, or you will override the lifter sensor and double feed creating a huge jammed up mess that can only be resolved with a penknife or small scredriver by pushing the double fed second round back into the tube.

My advice to anyone with a Beretta or Benelli inertial drive system is to buy at least three dummy rounds, not the plastic snapcaps, but real dummy rounds that feel and weight the same as live rounds (although 8 dummies would give you a better feel for a fully load tube). Use these to practice loading and unloading the shotgun until you learn how the shell release at the lifter, the slide release and the trigger each control the magazine shell release.

Dummy rounds are essential, in my opinion, if you're learning to float a round on the lifter.
Unless you have 3 hands, learning to float a round on the lifter is suicidal ( or negligent homicidal?) with live ammo!

Post subject: Re: Beretta 1200FP/1201FP Tactical Rail ?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

After purchasing 2 Beretta 1201FP police trade-ins, one of my goals was to figure out a dependable way to mount a light and accessories.
My first thought was to use the magazine tube shroud which also acts as the barrel and forend retainer and drill and tap it for rail segments.

Later I decided to add some Magpul rail segments directly mounted on the synthetic forend (and these work well), but some owners might not want to "deface" the forend by drilling and gluing rails to it.

I continued to look for an easy way to make a tactical rail that was stable and solid, but still easily detachable. The idea of drilling and tapping 6 tiny holes in the thin walled shroud tube had prevented me from tackling this job, since I wasn't sure there was enough aluminum there to thread!

Then, a few days ago, while in a local gunshop, I found an interesting piece in the "used accessory bin".
It is a synthetic molded forend with three rails that was orignally used to replace the forend on a pump shotgun, I think either a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870...I'm not sure which.

I picked it up for $15 and brought it home. The hole through the forend was undersized so I used an adjustable reamer to open it up from 1.105" to 1.28", the same diameter as the 1201's mag tube shroud. I've not yet trimmed the rail for best aesthetic fit, but it does look like it might make a good accessory rail that would mount near the muzzle, provide a very solid attachment and be easily detachable.

Magazine shroud in place

Magazine tube shroud removed

The rail will be permanently attached to a new Beretta barrel shroud, so it can be swapped in or removed in seconds and it is very lightweight.

The downside is....it's warthog ugly! :)
With the rails, it's slightly wider than the Beretta forend and reminds me of an under-barrel grenade launcher. I will trim it's length and contour the profile where it meets the forend for a better fit.

It is ugly, but there is a hidden beauty in Function often missed by the eye only seeking Form?

I'll post more pics when I get it fitted......I still have another spare shroud and someday (when I have a too much time on my hands), I may still attempt drilling and tapping one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm using my wife's gun to fit this, since her's doesn't have a muzzle sling loop.
once it's cut to length it will clear the sling loop position.

After fitting the rear to the forend....
just for the test version, I wanted to leave the rails as long as possible but it has to allow access to the barrel retaining nut (knob) at the front.

I undercut the rails to allow them to fit over the forend....
I still have to cut the front end flush with the mag shroud.

If you were to use 3 to 5 slot rail sections, which is probably more practical and enough for most lights and lasers, then one forend of this type, reamed and trimmed to length, could make 3-4 accessory rails for 1200/1201 shotguns. This would be much less work. No inletting or undercutting required....just ream it to size then cut off as many slots as you need.

There are also several aluminum versions of the rail type forends for pumps that might be worth checking for measurements.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:08 am 
Tournament Grade

one last follow-up on the DIY rail for 1200FP/1201FP owners.....

after fitting it, I moved it from my wife's gun to the ugly 1201.

What I discovered when I slipped it on was the muzzle sling loop retained it so well, I didn't even need to secure it to the mag tube shroud.

Since I had cut the top slot narrower than the slot in the shroud, the barrel lug locked it in place radially and the sling loop locked it in place axially.

For those considering trying this, the easiest way is to cut the tri-rail forend to the second slot so it will just butt up to the Beretta's forend.

Since I was going to the range today to zero a Docter 6x42 Zf scope I picked up for my HK SL-7, I carried the Beretta along and gave the tri-rail a test shooting slugs at 100 yards (from a rest)....
with a laser!

The ugly Beretta surprised everyone there (inlcuding me!) when it fired a 5 shot group that measured under 6" using Fiocchi Aero slugs and a $60 NCStar laser...@ 100 yards, shot from the hip!!

Pardon the little holes, but not only do I print my own targets but I start with small holes and work my way up to big holes to save trips to the backstop.

With the laser 3" under the barrel and adjusted to 3" under the point of impact at 50yards, I thought I was going to hit too high, but it didn't.
I "aimed" the laser on the bottom edge of the target and the first slug hit 1" below the target on the cardboard backer.

I say I aimed, but really I just pointed the shotgun like a flashlight.....
I don't think there is any way I could do as well at 100 yards with the gun's small rifle sights and my ancient eyes.

When the spotter started calling hits on the paper, the other shooters didn't believe it until we walked down to the target.

If you haven't tried it, 100 yard LaserSlugs are a blast! :)

One other thing we noticed about the 1201FP at the range......
while checking it's pattern with buckshot at 30 yards, one of the old shotgunners at the range remarked that it was getting more hits in the circle than it should have for a true "cylinder bore".

He said based on the pattern count, it looked more like an Improved Cylinder or Skeet choke to him.

Well, he was dead on right!

When I got home, I used the calipers to get a bore and choke measurement.....
the bore measured .729-730
the choke at the muzzle measured .714-715

According to the choke references, that falls right between Skeet and Improved Cylinder. Digging a bit online, I found several references to a choke type called "Police Cylinder". Police Cylinder is typically only used on barrels intended for law enforcement purposes and it is listed as a .015" restriction under bore or what is more commonly called "improved cylinder". Apparently, Remington, Benelli and Beretta all use this fixed choke for 12G LE sales.

By my measurements, the 1200FP/1201FP use Police Cylinder choke
(at least the two I own).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:53 am 
Tournament Grade

Earlier this weekend I was helping a friend who came out to my farm to pattern some different shells in his pump shotgun and while we were at it, I brought along one of my 1201s and shot one of each shell he was testing in his gun.

We were shooting from 20 yards and for my pattern, I used just a sheet of printer paper, 8.5x11, which is close to the size of the center kill zone on a torso type target.

You can estimate the group size based on the dimensions of the paper.

12 pellet 00 S&B

no shot cup, no buffer....
the most basic 12 gauge 00 shell

Federal Reduced Recoil 00
buffered hunting load

This was not a FliteControl wad....not only did the pellets hit high, but the wad actually went over the target....wierd.

LE132 00 9 pellet

The FC wad actually stuck in the cardboard and plywood backer.
An even bigger surprise when I plucked it out ....it still had one pellet in the cup!

LE133 00 8 pellet

Yes, not only the smallest pattern but one pellet cut the center of the crude cross aim point!

A turkey-shoot guy like my grandfather would appreciate that.

This Remington 3" load proves the point that more and bigger isn't always better....

it kicked harder than any other load and fired 15 pellets, of which only 7 hit the paper....fewer than any load tested.
Save your shoulder and your money!

As you might expect, none of the 3 Federal 00 reduced recoil loads would cycle the Beretta reliably, but there's something to be said for this sort of accuracy and they worked well enough that under some conditions, I would consider them at least as a "bolt action" alternative mode in a semi-auto.....pulling the trigger releases a shell on the carrier in the 1201 so all you have to do is pull and release the bolt to eject and feed a new round. It actually worked pretty slick.

I have some LE127 00 and some Hornady TAP 00 loads, both of which I understand use FC wads, but are full powered loads intended to function in autoloaders. I'll test them later this week and post a pic, if it warms up a bit...

it's 18 outside as I type this.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:30 pm 
Utility Grade

BioHazard wrote:
On late model 1201FPs produced after '95 or so, the 6 rd magazine tubes were crimped to reduce the capacity to 5 and the bolt carrier was modified to prevent floating a shell on the lifter, so they are 5+1.

Interesting and informative thread. I have a post-1995 1201FP with the crimped 5 round magazine and the no-float bolt carrier.

Does anyone know if I can install parts to enable 6+1+1 capacity?
Can you suggest part numbers and sources?

I see Brownell's has this "7 round" (I assume this is 6+1 mag tube.
How do I know it will fit my barrel?
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2941 ... ED-7-ROUND

Would installing a 1200 bolt carrier allow ghosting a round?
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2939 ... -1200-F-FP

Thank you,
Fiochiguy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm pretty sure ( :) ) the earlier extended mag tube and pre-ban bolt carrier will work with your gun, but I've never tried what you're asking about. The Brownell part #s you posted look to be correct to me.

If you know of someone locally with a pre-ban model, you could swap parts temporarily as a test.

I have heard 3rd hand accounts of owners successfully modifying the "restricted" magazine tube by mandrelling (controlled expansion) or grinding out the "dimples" and I've actually seen several Benelli and 1 Beretta bolt carriers modifed to "float" a shell on the lifter by cutting an angled shoulder in the carrier.

Many of my friends shoot Benellis and one of them swears that he has seen a full blown Beretta/Benelli hybrid.....
a Beretta 1201FP marked receiver, with a Benelli M1 mag tube and Benelli marked barrel installed.

From looking at the two guns (1201FP and M1) disassembled and laid out side by side, it looks like this should work. I did not check the mag tube threads since the Beretta uses a thread locking compound on the mag tube and recoil spring tube, requiring heat to remove, but the bolt/carrier assembly and barrel extension is identical.

The only obvious visible difference in the two is the barrel to magazine tube connection method. The barrel has to match the magazine tube.

Since Beretta made the barrels for both the Benelli M1 and the Beretta 1200 series, this seems credible.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:00 pm 
Field Grade

Fiochiguy wrote:
BioHazard wrote:

Interesting and informative thread. I have a post-1995 1201FP with the crimped 5 round magazine and the no-float bolt carrier.

Does anyone know if I can install parts to enable 6+1+1 capacity?
Can you suggest part numbers and sources?

I see Brownell's has this "7 round" (I assume this is 6+1 mag tube.
How do I know it will fit my barrel?
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2941 ... ED-7-ROUND

Would installing a 1200 bolt carrier allow ghosting a round?
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2939 ... -1200-F-FP

Thank you,
Fiochiguy

I have both 1200FP and 1201FP and can take some pics and show you the difference if interested.

Also, they can be ghost load see this thread here:

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/sh ... p?t=358679

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:53 pm 
Utility Grade

spcamno wrote:
I have both 1200FP and 1201FP and can take some pics and show you the difference if interested.

Also, they can be ghost load see this thread here:

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/sh ... p?t=358679

Thanks guys. SPCAMNO, the link doesn't work. It appears that the web site has been reorganized.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:44 am 
Field Grade

For those who've mounted the Surefire fore end on their 1200FP or 1201 FP, has it caused any malfunctions?

I read on another forum that the set screws from Surefire slightly altered the geometry of the barrel receiver interface. Anyone experienced this?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:49 am 
Tournament Grade

Seeing this topic bumped to the top just reminded me.....
Robertson's Trading Post has another shipment of 1201FP police trade-ins (your stimulus dollars at work!) :)

25-30 guns - all 20", rifle sights, some 6rd (post-ban) and mostly 8rd.....
the GR 18" versions are all gone.

they're listed on GunsAmerica....just Google it if interested.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:18 am 
Utility Grade

biohazrd do you where where i could buy a mag sleeve? it seems to have been discontinued accoording to MWG or brownells. would you sell one of yours since you replaced it? thanks man and thanks formaking the effort to creat those posts. i will post some photos of the 1201 i set with laser/light combo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:10 am 
Tournament Grade

Rob, one of my friends recently bought a used 1201FP at a gunshow and on his gun, the locking pin on the magazine tube cover or sleeve had been sheared off by someone tightening the barrel retaining knob too tight. I sold him one of the new ones and used the other one on my wife's gun so now I have one slightly scratched takeoff and I still want to try brazing or soldering some metal rails on it when I get time.

You might not be interested in this, but I have found an alternative piece that I think will make a direct replacement for the OEM shroud with some work.....maybe major work.
Um, maybe too much work? :D
I don't know yet.

That's an Ergo cast aluminum Tri Rail forend for either a Remington or Mossberg pump. One version has the full length slot in the top and one is a solid tube. It's about 1.5" longer and ~1/32" wider I.D. than the original shroud or sleeve on our guns but with some trimming and a cap washer on one end, I think I can make a tactical replacement for the magazine shroud.

The rails and tube are one piece.

Anyway I have one of these that I picked up on eBay and I've already started modifiying it to fit the 1201. Another cold weather winter project. If it works, I'll post a picture.

Who knows.....there may be a market for something like this if Beretta is no longer selling the magazine tube cover for the 1200FP/1201FP?