CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: which semi-auto shotgun for home defense?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:19 am 
Utility Grade

Ready for suggestions. Looking for something reliable and gas operated, so as not to punish my girlfriend too much with recoil. Any suggestions? Thanks. :)

Post subject: Re: which semi-auto shotgun for home defense?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:19 am 
Tournament Grade

Reviews:

Back from 1999 SX2:

http://www.galleryofguns.com/shootingti ... s.asp?ID=7

Picture comparison more recent:

http://www.galleryofguns.com/shootingti ... sp?ID=3249

Forum reviews:

http://www.realtree.com/forums/showflat ... art=1&vc=1

Seems like the most popular are the Winchester Super X2 , Remington 11-87 and Browning Gold and... Benelli if you want to spend an arm and a leg.

Browning

Remington 11-87

Winchester SX2 1

Winchester SX2 2

Hopefully this is semi helpful :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:20 am 
Utility Grade

I can attest to the 11-87's abilities and it being easy on the shoulder. I still have a 21" SP that I haven't shot in 7 years, but I used it for deer hunting with 3" magnum sabots. It would throw 5 slugs into a 4" circle at 100 yards (from a rest). Recoil was very manageable and the gun was quick to get back on target, even with mag loads. I need to get that thing out of the safe and think about trading/selling (my wife calls it my 'recycling program'). American Rifleman has had a couple of neat write up's on the Benelli's Inertia Drive recoil system, but I've been told that they kick like a mule (alloy receiver and the Inertia Drive requires minimum rearward movement of the receiver to compress a spring).

Stay safe,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

The benelis mentioned above are recoil cycled, not gas. If an amature is going to be shooting it, i would avoid the beneli.

Saiga 410 - you will be amazed by this gun

Winchester makes a sx2 practical that will fit the bill if you really want a winchester. Most people here, however, are partial to the aftermarket friendlieness of a remington 1187 or 1100.

But again, take a long hard look at saiga 410. I am, or course, bias because i own one, but my only complaint is that its hard to find bulk ammo. My saiga-410, new, was 195.00. It's accurate with slugs and shot, and can take alot of ak parts and accessories if its "converted" (you convert it yourself, long story). It is clip fed and comes with one 4 rounder. If your area allows you can get some ten round mags for about 65 bucks.

good luck

spray

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:33 pm 
Field Grade

My wife shoots a Benelli M2 and she's 5'3" and 118 pounds. Don't underestimate the girl--she may surprise you. She if you can borrow a Benelli and let her try it. I have a Browning Gold Hunter, and its my favorite gas gun, but i don't use it for defense.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:05 am 
Diamond Grade

I can't speak from first hand experience, YET, but this shotgun definitely looks to have the goods... a short, 13" pull stock and short 18" barrel, wrapped around the ultra fast and reliable Winchester SX2 action... looks like there is a LOT to like about this shotgun... except the price, around $865.

http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/sg_selfloading.htm

I will be receiving mine about min next week and I'm greatly looking forward to it.

Another option you might consider is Winchester's SX2 Practical Mk I. It's a longer (22" barrel) and slightly heavier version of the FN SLP.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/ ... 6&cat=009C

Yes, they're on the spendy side as well, around $850.

Once you get the semi-auto shotty thrill in your system, look out.