CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Whitetail Deer with Dwarfism?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:29 pm 
Utility Grade

I saw a curious sight in the woods today.

I was in King William County, Virginia near Beulahville waiting for a buck to cross my ground setup in a stand of old-growth hardwoods, when someone began running beagles across the neighboring stand of 10 year-old pines. The beagles were running for about half an hour, when I heard them baying get closer and closer to me, and I saw what I at first thought was one bizarre looking beagle awkwardly jogging towards me. As it got closer, I saw that it was in fact of doe who had a nearly full-sized torso with legs that could not have been longer than about 15 inches!

Has anyone out there seen or heard of deer with dwarfism?

She was loping straight at me and got within about fifteen feet of me before she made me out and slanted away. Today was not an anterless day, so I could not take her. She looked exhausted, and awkardly trotted away off into the woods. The pack of beagles came by a few seconds later being not more than thirty or forty yards behind her. I think that they had been chasing her for a while and believe that they continued to chase her for another ten minutes until I could not hear baying. Like I said earlier, she looked exhausted, and I kind of dislike the thought that she may have tuckered out, and the hounds caught up to her and tore her up.

About three years ago, I thought I saw a dwarf doe on this same property; but, she was quite far away, and I dismissed my perceptions at the time as being incorrect.

I do not believe that these were late fawns with big bodies. This doe today was within fifteen feet of me and moving slowly, so I got a good look at her.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter of dwarf deer?

Later

Post subject: Re: Whitetail Deer with Dwarfism?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

While I've never seen a dwarf deer, it doesn't surprise me. Things like dwarfism are not uncommon in the animal world. There's an entire herd of white deer here in NY... and another area where antlered does are seen every year.