CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sporterizing a 1974 Browning Superposed Lightning
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

I've a 1974 Superposed that I want to make into a SC gun. It has mechanical triggers, weight 7-1/4lb, 28 inch barrels choked Mod/Full, aftermarket pad, and a gold medalion in the stock with initials that don't match mine. It's nothing special. Just a grade 1 gun with some nicks and a crack in the fore end just in front of the finger hole that needs attention. Metal is good shape with negligable blueing wear and except for the crack in the fore end the wood is in good shape. Gun fits and appears to shoot where I'm pointing. I haven't tested for covergence or POI but the gun will smoke targets when I do my part on a skeet field.

Anything wrong with sporterizing a Browning Lightning? Should the chokes be recut and to what points of constriction?

By the way there is an annoying double click when closing the action. The timing of the cocking lever needs to be adjusted.

Last edited by seb7515 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: re: Sporterizing a 1974 Browning Superposed Lightning
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here's where to get it fixed. Art's Gun Shop.

http://artsgunshop.com/index2.html

Now, while Art and his boys have it, have the top barrel constriction relieved to about "light full". Mine has .031 in the top barrel. If you like a slightly bigger pattern, make it .025 "improved modified". Leave the bottom barrel alone.

You already own one of the best handling shotguns ever made. Leave it alone. Don't drill holes in the barrel, don't put gadgets on the stock, put on a nice pad of your choice (if it needs it) and go shoot it.

My 1939 Superposed has fixed .031/.025 chokes. I've only shot for a couple of years, and I'm a C class shooter. For the close ones, I use spreaders. For the others, I use 7 1/2's. The best news is that nothing needs to be done to a Super except fixing what's broke. Since it's not going to be a Skeet gun, the thighter chokes are ok.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:25 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I would just shoot the thing, you say it shoots where you look, the only other issue is it is pretty light, pay attention to the loads and keep them down in velocity.

About the time you are convinced that you absolutely have to have choke tubes, you'll be ready for a new gun and can leave this one as it came-----with history.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:01 am 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

I agree with Steve, take it out and shoot it, just like it is. I'd rather have too much choke than too little. But if you must, SuperXone has the next best suggestion.

BP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I didn't open my top barrel from .035 to .031 in order to gain a one inch wider pattern. I did it because the full choke top barrel was shooting uneven, patchy, egg shaped patterns. Four thousands was what my smith said was enough to make it shoot nice round even patterns, like the bottom barrel did in the first place.

Your full choke may pattern beautifully. Try it before you open it up. If it doesn't need any messing with, leave it alone.

Arts can fix all the mechanical problems you have, and if they can't patch up the forend crack they should be able to tell you who can.

Superposeds cost 10,000 dollars brand new from the Browning Custom Shop. If you'd like engraving thats extra. Amazingly enough, they told me when I called a couple of years ago they still sell more than a few every year. The best selling new model, they said, was the Broadway Trap. Go figure. Broadways are on the bottom of the stack for resale value on the used market, at least around here. The moral is, treasure your Superposed. It's not that they aren't making any more. It's that it costs 10 grand to make and sell that nice of a gun today, that you already own. :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

Sx0,

Any particular type of ammo that was giving you problems with the full choke? Does the full pattern promo's well?

TexT,

What's the deal with leaving a gun as is? They're tools and as tools should be modified to suit the intended purpose. I don't know what the previous owner did with this gun. It could have been a gift or a lifetime purchase because the engraved oval. It doesn't seem to have been shot much. It's been shot some but hasn't been handled enough to wear the blueing. That history is lost. If I decide the gun is a keeper, the oval will have my initials and the chokes will be open probably to more practical constrictions of .010/.030 or .010/.025.

Across the pond members,
The fixed choked Browning and Miroku sporters are 1/4 and 3/4 chokes. Is this a popular combination?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Before I opened the top full choke barrel, it would produce, with every brand and load of shell, a tight full choke pattern, but shaped like an egg, with the majority of the shot to the left, and it was uneven, with a lot of patchy holes, especially to the right side of the pattern. The bottom IM barrel shot anything you fed it and produced nice, round patterns that were even, centered, and only slightly center dense.

I have this neat old gunsmith who actually goes out and shoots the gun, reams it a thousands or so, then shoots it again. He said that reaming about 4 thousands, with him putting a bit of extra pressure on the side where the gun was shooting a patchy pattern, was enough to round it up. I took him several boxes of shells. Rios 1 1/8 ounce 7 1/2, 3 dram,,,,same things only one ounce,,,,and some AA trap loads. He said they all patterned well after, the 1 1/8 loads being the better.

I patterned it myself, before and after. The after is much better. In fact, it's more even that the bottom barrel, which was and is very good. The top full is just a tiny bit "tighter" than the bottom IM barrel, by the way. The only way to really tell every time is to shoot ten yard patterns, then you can see where the full choke top barrel is tighter. Even then, it's not by much.

If my Super was going to be a hunting gun, I'd want IC/LM,,,,,and have my smith shoot the thing as he opened up the chokes. What I was wanting was a sporting clays gun, where I'd be shooting spreaders at the close ones, the tight chokes at every thing else.

Why not to modify a gun? Because of a lot of reasons. Oh, by all means have your initials put in the oval. The next owner won't mind that any more than you. But when you really alter chokes, a lot, you've hurt the resale of your gun. Why? Because Brownings are all stamped with the *** choke marks, and collectors (not shooters like us) all want them un messed with. Brileys claim their choke tubes don't lower the value of a Super. They would raise them if I was buying it. But only time will tell.

Because Supers don't shoot steel shot at all, forget about it, and they aren't five times better than a Citori, and they didn't have choke tubes, and the collectors are all chasing the high grades, and the field grades all got used, and they made salt guns, this happy buyer's market exists for field and target grade Superposed. Often you can buy a nice one for the same price as a Citori. Which is upside down. The Super is a "fine gun", machine made but hand fitted and finished, still being made at five times the price of a nice used one. The day sometime comes when the used gun market may change. It did for the Sweet 16. And then it may go down. If the use of lead shot is ever completely banned, they probably will. Why would anyone own a field or target grade Super if they cost thirty five dollars a box to shoot them, when a Citori could be used the same as any other shotgun?

I'm all for me using my guns and my heirs figuring out a good way to make a living without need of selling my guns. But there are good reasons for leaving a Superposed alone. I can't leave a good gun alone, but I probably should. :lol:

Post subject: Re: re: Sporterizing a 1974 Browning Superposed Lightning
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:07 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

seb7515 wrote:
TexT,

What's the deal with leaving a gun as is? They're tools and as tools should be modified to suit the intended purpose. ?

Then shoot the silly thing, that tool should be modified to break targets and you already said it shoots where you look, what more can you ask?

I'm shooting a fixed I/M trapgun with no more than adding a recoil pad and removing the beads, I can certainly ask no more of it-------it does have a problem with the nut behind the wheel but no matter what I did to IT, that problem would still remain.

"Sporterizing"???????? Shoot it, you want it to break targets, not look like everything else in the crowd. And the $$$ amount spent WILL NOT give you an equitable return on targets

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

Many thanks for the replies. You've giving me a couple of things to ponder and a couple of things to. First project is to have the gun cleaned and inspected. Second project is to pattern the chokes with various loads to determine quality of pattern and degree of actual choke. I've done this in the past and it's not my favorite pastime. Any one have a quick and close enough method of patterning?

I'm in no big hurry to change the gun. Next fall I'll still be thinking about opening the chokes. I can always fall back and use one of the guns with interchangeable chokes when I get low and think I need less choke.