Shotgun Forum banner

NY Sporting Clays Association - Shooter feedback needed!

2K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  Mule Driver 
#1 ·
Hey folks, Mike Krol here, President of the NYSCA. I put up a post a few weeks back looking for potential new officers for the association, and not surprisingly, no takers. This got me to thinking about ways to simplify and streamline the organization, and I will be proposing the following changes at our annual meeting later this month:

1. Discontinue NYSCA target fees
Currently the association charges $2.00/100 targets. This money is used to purchase trophies, door prizes and shell giveaways for our State Shoot. 50% of this money is given to the State Shoot host club to offset their expenses. Our current model has every shooter who shoots registered targets in NY contributing target fees to subsidize the State Shoot. While door prizes and shells are a nice bonus, I don't think anyone says "Geez, I can't miss the State Shoot 'cause I might win a flat of shells or a Beretta knife". Providing the host club a monetary subsidy has also been nice, but it has been funded by ALL shooters to help reduce costs for those who attend the State Shoot. Elimination of target fees for all will greatly reduce the labor required to manage the State Association, and will immediately benefit all shooters. Downside is fewer free goodies at the State Shoot, and a likely increase in costs for those attending.

2. Keep Annual Club Dues at $50
The NYSCA currently charges all NSCA member clubs an annual dues assessment of $50. One half of the proceeds help fund our youth shooting programs. Collecting the dues is a fairly simple process, and I see no reason why this should not continue. The remaining 50% of the dues money can help purchase trophies for the State Shoot.

With the target money we will be collecting at this year's State Shoot combined with the previously mentioned club dues money, the association will have a sufficient bankroll to purchase State Shoot trophies for the next 3-4 years. After that, the club dues alone will substantially offset trophy fees.

I am very interested in hearing shooter feedback on my recommendations; this will be voted on at our annual meeting on July 26. It is important that I hear from folks that will not be attending the State Shoot.

Looking forward to your replies,
Mike

See less See more
#28 ·
The problem a lot of the small clubs run into is not having enough infrastructure -- things like a larger food service that's good and easy to use, clean restrooms, parking, club house, motels that are close, et al.

The plain facts are some clubs are better suited for having a State Shoot, and some others are NOT suited at all. But it's good to open things up, and help out those that are close to being there.

#29 ·
The problem a lot of the small clubs run into is not having enough infrastructure -- things like a larger food service that's good and easy to use, clean restrooms, parking, club house, motels that are close, et al.

The plain facts are some clubs are better suited for having a State Shoot, and some others are NOT suited at all. But it's good to open things up, and help out those that are close to being there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.