Shotgun Forum banner

NY Sporting Clays Association - Shooter feedback needed!

2K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  Mule Driver 
#1 ·
Hey folks, Mike Krol here, President of the NYSCA. I put up a post a few weeks back looking for potential new officers for the association, and not surprisingly, no takers. This got me to thinking about ways to simplify and streamline the organization, and I will be proposing the following changes at our annual meeting later this month:

1. Discontinue NYSCA target fees
Currently the association charges $2.00/100 targets. This money is used to purchase trophies, door prizes and shell giveaways for our State Shoot. 50% of this money is given to the State Shoot host club to offset their expenses. Our current model has every shooter who shoots registered targets in NY contributing target fees to subsidize the State Shoot. While door prizes and shells are a nice bonus, I don't think anyone says "Geez, I can't miss the State Shoot 'cause I might win a flat of shells or a Beretta knife". Providing the host club a monetary subsidy has also been nice, but it has been funded by ALL shooters to help reduce costs for those who attend the State Shoot. Elimination of target fees for all will greatly reduce the labor required to manage the State Association, and will immediately benefit all shooters. Downside is fewer free goodies at the State Shoot, and a likely increase in costs for those attending.

2. Keep Annual Club Dues at $50
The NYSCA currently charges all NSCA member clubs an annual dues assessment of $50. One half of the proceeds help fund our youth shooting programs. Collecting the dues is a fairly simple process, and I see no reason why this should not continue. The remaining 50% of the dues money can help purchase trophies for the State Shoot.

With the target money we will be collecting at this year's State Shoot combined with the previously mentioned club dues money, the association will have a sufficient bankroll to purchase State Shoot trophies for the next 3-4 years. After that, the club dues alone will substantially offset trophy fees.

I am very interested in hearing shooter feedback on my recommendations; this will be voted on at our annual meeting on July 26. It is important that I hear from folks that will not be attending the State Shoot.

Looking forward to your replies,
Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
I shoot a fair amount in the NY Clubs, but I'm a CT Shooter. Keep in mind, the target taxes you get also come from out-of-state shooters and they are also subsidizing the trophy pool.

Good luck in your quest for answers. When I was a board member of the CT Travelers, you find that things important to "the management" aren't as important to the shooters. The shooters want to shoot fun targets and don't want to worry about the "other" stuff.

#3 ·
Jeff, it looks like you were right... Nearly two weeks since I posted this, and not a single reply (although I did get a PM from one gentleman who offered to help, God bless him). It would appear that NY shooters don't care one way or another.

#4 ·
I agree with your proposal 100%. We might even get some of our shooters who disliked the $2 fee to return.
In addition I will propose at the meeting that we do away with all criteria for the State Shoot. The 200 bird mandatory main event is very costly for most of the States ranges. It usually requires trap rentals and additional personnel. Since we are talking about taking away the Range Owners 50% payment lets take that cost away. If we could get more ranges involved in the bidding process perhaps we will be able to keep the state shoot functioning for several more years.
1. No limit on Main Event cost per target. It is what it is depending on what the club offers.
2. No event requirements such as Sub Gauge or 5-Stand. etc.
3. No food or banquet requirement
4. Yes--- keep the Date of the last weekend in July.
5. No mandatory purse, let that be the clubs option.

Let's let any club who wants to give it a try have the option to submit a proposal/bid. The shooters can decide by voting who offers the best option to host.

I certainly appreciate the effort that the Downstate clubs put in, but I am concerned that the Western NY shooters will decline if we can't get a Central or Western NY club to step up and host the shoot at least every three (3) years. Jim Waterman

#5 ·
So you're letting the range owners do what they do best, run tournaments instead of the board members?

Call me crazy but I like it.

#6 ·
I think state associations should only do a couple of things

Maintain a state website
Vote on who holds the state championship
Pay to advertise the state championship

#8 ·
200 target main for a state shoot is silly, especially in a state as big as NY. There are lots of clubs in little bergs between Rochester and Dover Plains that could host the shoot if it was a one-day main event. IMHO, of course.

#13 ·
I agree with a 200 bird main event but maybe the host club hasn't the ability to do that along with a prelim and subgauge. Well then let the club make the proposal and we vote. I know its not that simple but some ranges could easily do the Main if that was the primary event and the other stuff was eliminated.

#14 ·
I wish we'd break out FITASC here in CA like they do in Illinois.

The state FITASC championship is it's own separate event, and it seems to work out for them.

#15 ·
ysr_racer said:
I wish we'd break out FITASC here in CA like they do in Illinois.

The state FITASC championship is it's own separate event, and it seems to work out for them.
As you already know Brad, I totally agree with that. It's would be so much better to do it that way.

Also agree that the range owners should be the one's running the tournaments. Especially now, when so many clubs are more dependent on recreational shooters rather than registered ones. They easliy get tired of being told what to do.

#16 ·
Hi Gary,

Yep your suggestion is what I'm referring to. I'm up in the East Bay for work, but no shotgun :)

This is the first time I've traveled in years without it.

#19 ·
Capt Rich,

There's a time and a place for big shoots, and Zones/Regionals is one of those times. Yes, not every club can have one. But that's just life. This isn't kids T-Ball or soccer.

I do believe that smaller local clubs should, if possible, participate in State Shoots. One of the best ways to encourage that is to split the FITASC off on it's own, so those smaller clubs don't have to spend more money on renting extra traps. At least, you're cutting that number down.

#20 ·
Mule Driver said:
What town are you in?

I just might have an extra ticket for the A's game tonight.
Thanks,I just saw this. I was in the Bob and Delores Hope suite at the Walnut Creek Renaissance Club sport, but I'm flying home today.

Thanks for the offer, next time for sure.

#21 ·
Capt Rich said:
200 birds for state shoot. 50 sub gauge, 5 stand... If state shoot doesn't have it who will???
Get rid of ZONES, too big. Go back to regionals, eliminates smaller clubs from having shoots. Where did we all start, local clubs... Only a few clubs can hold larger shoots...
They got rid of the Zones 2 years ago. The Regional Championships have become the biggest and some of the best shoots in the country. Very popular.

Glenn

#22 ·
Mule Driver said:
I do believe that smaller local clubs should, if possible, participate in State Shoots. One of the best ways to encourage that is to split the FITASC off on it's own, so those smaller clubs don't have to spend more money on renting extra traps. At least, you're cutting that number down.
I absolutely agree. Every club should have a chance to bid on it. Every club can throw a 100 target main event.

I also understand that some people want to shoot A LOT! That doesn't mean they can't do a prelim on Saturday and something else.

Having a two day shoot on opposite ends of the state on alternating years, you're catering to the local crowd and the guys that can pony up big bucks to travel. You exclude the guy that can only shoot on Sunday and wants to participate.

Let the clubs propose what they want and let the shooters decide. In a state like NY, I like the idea of splitting the FITASC and English Sporting out.

#23 ·
Marist89
I am with you all the way except for the alternating the shoot to different parts of the state. I don't know how we be fair to everyone if it doesnt move around.
As most everyone knows I shoot at Rochester Brooks which is a member club that relies on our members to give up their shooting to host a shoot like the State Championship.
We try to host it every 3-4 years and for the most part our members are willing to travel the other years. The Downstate clubs have always done a fantastic job and I never have any issues with the trip. My concern is that some of the folks in Western NY have not been attending the shoots in the Hudson Valley because of costs. Once they stop competeing they never seem to return. We have lost at least 20 - 30 shooters who for one reason or another stopped traveling. If you know you cant attend the NYS shoot do you try to compete as hard all year long? We need a club in Central NY to give it a try.

Bottom line - Let as many clubs submit a plan to host as possible and let the shooters decide who gets the bid. This needs to be done on a ballet so that all of the shooters in the state have a vote and not just the ones at the state meeting.
Maybe a little more work for the State asscoiation but it may be the most important part of the job.
And yes I will step up and take a position on the State Asscociation. Jim Waterman

#24 ·
the Rev said:
Marist89
I am with you all the way except for the alternating the shoot to different parts of the state. I don't know how we be fair to everyone if it doesnt move around.
Perhaps I expressed it wrong, but I absolutely agree with you.

#25 ·
As an out of country shooter who attends many shoots @ Brookes and other NY ranges I have to say that the entry fees vs. quality of targets shot are second to none.

That said I would not travel to a NY state shoot if it did not offer 200 targets over 2 days as well as sub. gauge, SXS etc. To make the trip worthwhile ( hotels, mileage meals etc.) it's nice to shoot at least 2 days and maybe 3.

Food etc. is not one of my or probably most shooters requirements. A burger/ hot dog is all we need to survive. We're there to shoot period. Give us lots of good targets that are shootable and we're good.

And like most shooters I'm not there for the money. So to increase entry fees for the sole purpose of offering larger pay outs makes no sense to me.

Throw lots of reasonably priced targets without all the frills and the masses will attend.

Keith Mills Canada

#26 ·
As a CT resident who frequently shoots in NY and pays the fees (without complaint) I like the idea of a State organization contributing to prizes. I have no vote, however.

I wish CT had enough courses to justify a state org and fees. Fairfield County has hosted (and organized and done all of the work for) our State Shoot for 10 years in a row. I'd love to share the wealth and pain!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.