Shotgun Forum banner

Question for Other Instructors

904 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  TR/SC3 
#1 ·
So I am with a few new students this past weekend and one of them shoots pretty much lights out. Moves the shotgun very well. Understands what it takes to get in front of the bird. Realizes the results of hard work etc....

The next student is hit or miss. He is easily redirected, has the ability just still so conscious it hurts sometimes.

The last student is brand new. Not really sure what he has going on but nevertheless he was hitting target with some consistency by the end of the day. Having a blast though.

The one thing that kept resounding in my mind was how many different ways can i tell the last two guys to quit 'stopping the gun'. We all know why they are stopping the gun but how do you guys tell them to stop? anything creative?

#2 ·
Seems like the most common reason is looking at the barrel when shooting a target that takes more gap than they're used to. I say this because once a shooter becomes comfortable with a certain amount of gap they feel confident and don't feel the need to measure or check the barrel (unless they have another stress like competition). They will always miss behind because they're stopping the gun. If that is the case then I simply ask them to miss in front of the target one time to show me they can do it. When they do that, it usually breaks and they always say the same thing, "Oh, it takes more than I thought"!

The other thing I do is ask them, "were you focused on the target"? If they say they weren't or don't know then I ask them to re-shoot making sure that they are focused. About half the time they end up breaking the target, this would probably happen with the shooter in your first example. If a shooter is using poor mechanics and aiming their shots then all bets are off.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#4 ·
Mike--What a great response. As I read and then reread again and studied your answer, I was impressed at how much you have packed into 2 paragraphs. It will take me awhile to operationalize all that is there, but I will do it. Thank you for a thoughtful and thought provoking response--and you just put it out there for all of us. You are a role model for all of us. Thank you!!

#5 ·
Great post, Mike.

Funny thing as I read the question and first reply. I started through my check list and then came to your beautiful post.

All I can add is something I learned when I was teaching our three sons to shoot. They were slowing the gun as they shot and were missing behind. I ruled out running out of room and looking at the barrel then I told them to count out loud after they shot to three and make sure the gun was still moving. It worked.

I think the drill where you mount and swing along the ceiling/wall line and saying bang and keeping the gun moving past that point may help too.

I have also told students to over do or accentuate the follow through.

#6 ·
I agree that telling someone to stop doing something is not a good coaching method :? I prefer to use questions to get the student to work out for themselves what they need to change so that it is more 'organic' thinking than telling. One of my students who is a minister said, this feels like catechism class again. as I helped him move his hold point because he never caught up with the target. But it started with, where were you on the target when you fired?

On people stopping the gun, I will ask them to do something else. For example if I am coaching on a skeet field for crossers on station 4, I will say, after you fire the shot I want you to take the gun all the way over until it points into the mouth the trap on the opposite side. If I am on a sporting station I will find another marker for them to point at after firing. Don't over do the distance as they will then be concentrating on moving the gun, and not on the target and taking the shot.

There is a separate topic for coaches and instructors, but it is very moribund, I think putting the question here gives it better exposure, so thank you.

Roger

#7 ·
This is a most informative exchange and hope it doesn't get "derailed" as many topics that start off great and well you guys have been here a while and know what I mean :)

#8 ·
TG21... hear you are reeel good.. thinking about taking a second out on my house and spend the
whole day with you.... Kinda thought the instructors might have told you troubles with one student
just may take longer to correct to no fault of your own. Hey you just happen be selling time. Me
thinks you know all of that.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.