Shotgun Forum banner

Best travel case for shotgun

2K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  Island Shooter 
#1 ·
Looking for input on which gun case to purchase. Looking for a case for an o/u shotgun. Have looked at Pelican, Storm(now owned by Pelican) and a Starlight. All three have lifetime warranties. Looked at the Pelican IM3100(old Storm), Pelican 1700 and the Starlight SC-061338. All reviews seem to be split on which is the best. Looking for the toughest and best protection available.

This will be used for airline travel.

Thanks
Dave

#6 ·
I forgot to add that I do have an americase and I like it. but, I have been told by quite a few people who have used them for airline travel not to use them as they are more likely to get dented and damaged. Was told the polymer cases were much more damage resistant. I can see where the aluminum cases would be more apt to sustain permanent damage.

Dave

#8 ·
With at least 100 flights with shotguns, I have settled on a system using a golf bag carrier. I got the SKB golf carrier shown here: http://www.basspro.com/SKB-Cases-Deluxe ... ct/100619/ (a hat tip to John on the link, but I got mine for $75 on Craigslist). SKB also makes smaller cases.

With several trips to Europe and scores of trips within the USA, the golf carrier is a great system for us. The advantages of the golf carrier include:
- You can put your hard case inside the carrier and have further protection.
- You can get two guns in hard cases and still be under the 50# limit.
- You can carry a 2 bbl. sub ga. hard case plus a soft 12 ga. case & be under the 50# limit.
- With one gun, you can stuff extra items (shoes, shooting bag, etc.) with plenty of room.
- It looks like golf clubs, so your gun(s) usually come out with the other baggage.

Disadvantages:
- The large case sometimes won't fit in the trunk of the rental car w/o dropping one of the rear seats down.

The golf case is also a great way to ship gun(s) & gear if you don't want to mess with TSA.

I'm not saying this it the only way, but it works well for me and my wife. It's another option to consider.

Demi

#9 ·
I have seen as many as 300 rifles come off the planes arriving in Canada at one time for years of hunting trips. Believe me, they do not all arrive in the same condition they are packed. A Pelican will get them there. Every time. There are probably others, but a Pelican will do the job.

#13 ·
C Texan said:
I forgot to add that I do have an americase and I like it. but, I have been told by quite a few people who have used them for airline travel not to use them as they are more likely to get dented and damaged. Was told the polymer cases were much more damage resistant. I can see where the aluminum cases would be more apt to sustain permanent damage.

Dave
That may be true but I'm more concerned with not damaging the contents...kinda like a helmet for racing. With most sanctioning bodies if a helmet gets any visible damage in an accident, it becomes a "wall hanger" and can't be used again in competition.

After 30+ yrs. as an airline pilot, and seeing what goes on behind the curtain, if Halliburton made a gun case, it would be at the top of my list for travel. Yeah, it would get scratched and dented but that just adds some character to it and I wouldn't have to worry about the same happening to the contents.

All that said, I kinda like Demi's idea of putting my gun cases inside a golf bag carrier (I wonder if FedEx would get suspicious when the destination is a gun club rather than a country club?). :roll:

#16 ·
I've never flown with a shotgun but I've flown several times with my CVA Accura V2, inline muzzle loader. I went with the Pelican 1700 because the CVA breaks down like an OU. This size case allows me to fly without an oversize charge whereas the longer cases get an oversize luggage fee. I have a Leupold scope mounted on the CVA and it has never lost its zero. Other than a few mild scuffs on the case, it is as good as new and I agree, the wheels are very handy.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#19 ·
That the Haliburton only uses 2 layers of foam is problematic. The luggage handlers will throw the case and the contents inside will shift and knock into each other. I've seen this happen a couple times to traveling companions. An O/U barrel isn't necessarily kind to a wood stock when the two bump.

You want a case that has 3 layers of foam. You can then cut out the middle layer of foam in the shape of your gun to keep everything apart inside the case.

On another note, as someone who has owned both Haliburton and Pelican cases for other uses, Pelicans are better. They're lighter and will take more abuse.

#21 ·
How is the inside of the tuffpak configured? Does it have foam protection? How does it cradle the firearm? I looked them up but could not find anything showing pictures of the inside? Right now I'm leaning towards the Pelican but would be interested in one of these too.

Thanks so far for the replies.
Dave

#22 ·
It's as empty as my checking account :)

You need to put your gun in a soft case, then pack all your clothes and other crap around it.

I use one of these:

#23 ·
Another vote for SKB. They make dedicated break down shotgun cases that are very durable. I have two of them now and wouldn't hesitate to put a nice shotgun in one and put it on a plane. I also have the SKB golf club hard case mentioned above. I think that is also an awesome way to fly with or ship guns if you want to pack additional stuff in them. I actually do use mine for golf clubs when I travel and have never had anything damaged. The SKB also has a lifetime guarantee.

#26 ·
ysr_racer said:
It's as empty as my checking account :)

You need to put your gun in a soft case, then pack all your clothes and other crap around it.

I use one of these:

I use these short cases like YSR has posted here. Get them from cabelas. 60.00. Then place them with gun in the Pelican. Have flown 3 guns in these soft cases in one pelican. 100 % guaranteed. Lock each end with a small master lock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.