Shotgun Forum banner

5 STAND CHOKE CHANGES

2K views 60 replies 24 participants last post by  1redvette 
#1 ·
I know you can't change chokes after you have started the round in 5 stand.

My question is about shooting 5 stand with 2 rounds 50 targets for 1 event.

1st is single then 2 reports.

2nd is single then 2 trues.

My question is can chokes be changed between the reports and the trues?

This is from the rule book.

No chokes may be changed after the round has begun. Failure to comply will result in loss of all targets attempted (in that round) after choke changed.

Thanks

#54 ·
marist89 said:
Doing something wrong over and over is not a "gray area", it's just doing it wrong consistently.
Lets take it easy here we don't know if anything is wrong here yet. We may be missing some piece of the puzzle. I don't shoot many 5 stand registered targets a few a year and mostly in winter or foul weather. I could have missed something or the clubs may have found a way to do this "legally" or not. It's not just one club its most that I have seen up this way they run it as 50 birds all at once.
But common sense tells me why would it matter as long as everyone shoots it the same way the day of the shoot?

#55 ·
The way it's defined in the rule book is a round of 5 stand is 25 targets.

I'm not saying whatever game that is isn't fun. I'm not saying it's not cost effective. I'm not saying that's the way whatever game that is is supposed to be played. I'm just saying it's not "5 Stand" (tm) as defined by the NSCA rules.

#56 ·
Maybe it's just a 50 bird sporting clays course shot from the 5-stand area. Nothing wrong with that I suppose except, as Jeff said, it's not really 5-stand as defined in the rule book.

I seem to recall some 50 target sub gauge events that I've shot from the 5-stand area, but they didn't call it 5-stand. They just called it a 50 target sub gauge event.

#58 ·
Here they throw 2 singles, then two report pair and finally two true pair all at once just like that, 10 targets per station with no break in between. I'd take this as only ONE round of 50 & changing chokes would not be allowed.
But again I think they need to retitle the rule book to "Suggested guidelines for Sporting Clays" due to the lack of attention a lot of clubs and shooters seem to pay to them.

#60 ·
oregunner said:
I was shooting our 5 Stand last night and shot 24/25. I was choked SK/LM. The target I missed was a report pair out the trap house, both 40 yard shots. I missed with the SK choke. If I shot it again I would change out the skeet choke, to have confidence that I could hit all 25. I might miss something else in close, because I am choked too tight, but that's part of the fun and the variety.
Mark
It's not a perfect world, especially on 5-stand, lol.

Shooting a 24 is a great score as i'm stuck around 22. Darn chokes {hs#

#61 ·
JacksBack said:
Run-Em said:
Clubs shoot the 50 bird per stand events because it is more economical for them to make a profit. i say good for them. if you change tubes anytime with our squad you are squirrel and will be looking for another squad.
Fine with me, but it does NOT qualify for an NSCA registered 5-stand unless the club got an exception.
Yes in a 50 bird 5 stand one layout event, 5 pairs and rotate, punches and All American points are awarded. They are sanctioned by NSCA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.