Shotgun Forum banner

5 STAND CHOKE CHANGES

2K views 60 replies 24 participants last post by  1redvette 
#1 ·
I know you can't change chokes after you have started the round in 5 stand.

My question is about shooting 5 stand with 2 rounds 50 targets for 1 event.

1st is single then 2 reports.

2nd is single then 2 trues.

My question is can chokes be changed between the reports and the trues?

This is from the rule book.

No chokes may be changed after the round has begun. Failure to comply will result in loss of all targets attempted (in that round) after choke changed.

Thanks

#2 ·
In my opinion, if there is a break in the shooting between the first round of 25 and the second round of 25, then I would think it would be OK to change chokes. Everyone would have the same opportunity to do so.

In fact, I seem to recall doing that at a big tournament in Florida about 10 years ago. They may even have the targets set up on different fields, i.e. 25 at one 5-stand and 25 at another 5-stand, although in your case it sounds like it was on one field.

#6 ·
KRIEGHOFFK80 said:
These were shot consecutively.

1 field just a change from report to true.
Well, in that case, you're S.O.L. You gotta dance with what you brought. :D

#7 ·
A "round" is 25 targets; 5 targets from each of the 5 stands. So, you can change between the individual 5-stand rounds (or courses), but not during any individual round (or course). So it's okay to change between round 1 and 2 (and 3 and 4 if shooting 100), just not during 1 or 2 (or 3 or 4).

#8 ·
The menu itself seems unusual. The common presentation throughout central Florida is a single, then a report pair, then finally a true pair. To me, and it's all about sematics, is whether the 'round' is comprised of 25 or 50 targets. A secondary question is whether the same trap combinations are thrown at each station for each set of 25 targets. A different combination of traps, IMHO, would be a very different course. Personally, I have always been confident and comfortable with an O/U with IC and LM/M, then varying 8's and 7.5s as long as I have an idea about the target flight. rs.

#9 ·
I think I'd put in a Light Modified and just shoot. You are probably shooting targets from the same 6 or 8 traps, just in some different order, most likely anything from IC to M is going to work, so I'd just pick the LM and go with it. Of course I'm shooting a SA so I only have one choke choice.

#10 ·
I think you answered your own question.

KRIEGHOFFK80 said:
My question is about shooting 5 stand with 2 rounds 50 targets for 1 event.
1st is single then 2 reports.
2nd is single then 2 trues.

This is from the rule book.
No chokes may be changed after the round has begun. Failure to comply will result in loss of all targets attempted (in that round) after choke changed.
The "report pair" round is one round, the "true pair" round is another, completely separate round. You cannot change chokes once you begin to shoot either of them, but there is nothing that says you need to keep the same choke in different rounds, even if those rounds are shot on the same set of targets.

An "event" is made up of one or more "rounds," each of which can be shot with a single choke (or pair of chokes) of your choice for that round.

#11 ·
I agree with Doctor Mike. If you go through the stands twice, you get one change in between. M&M does this with reports in round #1 and simo's in round #2

#13 ·
lt0026 said:
I am seeing more and more 50 target five stands with 5 pairs from each station. No singles. The reason for this is less traps required, only one scorer, one field, less traps to load and things move a little quicker.
I can't remember the last tournament 5 stand around here that was NOT as you described above. I have always thought from the rule that once I fired the first shot, I could not change chokes on either a 25 or 50 target 5-stand.

#14 ·
We used to see 2 fields 25 targets on each. 1 single,one report pair and one true pair on each stand. In an effort to cut costs this has been done away with for the most part. Also less show birds doing it they way I explained above. Even seeing more sub gauge on a glorified 5 stand. Best to watch the squad before you shoot to get an idea what you need.

#15 ·
Terry, shoot "enough" choke you don't worry about being out of it. As you can tell I'm not a SK/IC shooter.... I also don't go for those inbetween chokes.... Just slap in M/M or IM/IM and call it a day.

#16 ·
Choking for 5-stand can be a little tricky IF half the presentations are in your face and then only one or two targets are way TF out there, in which case it may be smarter to choke mid-range and hope you can nail the long ones quickly then choking for the long ones and hoping you center well on the in your face fast pairs. (And I do know a guy who practices shooting skeet with his IM's for this very reason.) But in reality, most of the 5-stands I see can be shot with LM's through the entire 100 --- YMMV...

#18 ·
Terry, from the rule book -- no need to get sensitive about the direction your thread is taking:

First sentence on page 40 of the rule book: NSCA 5-STAND Sporting events consist of targets shot in 25 bird increments from five shooting stands with each shooter rotating
from station to station.

Note that it appears this would mean that the 5-pair per station, 50 target 5-stands that GulfCoast and LT0026 mentioned are NOT legal 5-stands per the NSCA rules!

Then look at Section D 5 on page 41: No chokes may be changed after the round has begun.

Pretty simple really and nothing to argue about...

#19 ·
It is surprising that someone who shoots about 10,000 registered targets year would need clarification on this rule.

A round of 5-stand consists of 25 targets. That is why you sign the score sheet after you have shot a round, consisting of 25 targets, because the ROUND is complete.

You are then welcome to change chokes all you want at that point.

I think the others find it odd that someone would want to change chokes to shoot the exact same set of targets.

The purpose of this rule is too keep the round moving along. If shooters were allowed to change during the round it could/would greatly increase the time it takes to shoot a round.

#21 ·
Why would anyone want to change them since you are just going through the same targets again? A different layout might mean something, but if felt you had the proper chokes in for the report pairs, why would you suddenly need to change them because they are now true pairs? The targets didn't get to go any further away.

But since you entered, exited and entered the stand again, that should be counted as a separate round

#22 ·
oneounceload said:
Why would anyone want to change them since you are just going through the same targets again?
Simple. First time through you didn't get the kind of breaks you were expecting so you choke up/down to compensate. I've done this before, it's not uncommon.

Yes, if there is a break in shooting you can change chokes.

In Terry's particular case, assuming there is break between the reports and the trues, yes you can change chokes. If it's one of those convoluted Florida configurations that isn't really 5 stand anyway, I would probably say no.

#23 ·
This brings up another of my pet peeves with 5-stand --- rotations. Most clubs I shoot at, keep rotations the same for each leg so the scorekeepers don't get messed up on the scoresheet. But the rules specifically call for rotating shooters, lead to last, between rounds. I think rotating lead shooters and starting stations keeps it a little more fair.

#24 ·
There could be a BIG difference in the chokes needed when changing from report pairs to true pairs.

#26 ·
There could be a BIG difference in the chokes needed when changing from report pairs to true pairs.
Agree 100%.
But on a not so serious side, just get a Poly-choke (or similar), you wouldn't slow anyone down and you could screw until your hearts content. :lol:
Though I don't think they make them for an O/U so you might be SOL. :lol:
oh example would be two distant outgoing birds (lot of spring) now as a true pair that second bird may be another 25 yards further out when you shoot at it. Or flopper close short window and a screamer out goer as a true pair. Just a few examples of why you may want to rethink the chokes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.