Shotgun Forum banner

Gauge Mate Question

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  ysr_racer 
#1 ·
I bought a 12/20 set from a fellow member and have read to use only AA or Remington STS's and that's the plan,but was just curious if folks had used other brands and had success with them.I understand about the brass vs the steel heads characteristics as pertains to the swelling and sticking.

Thanks for any guidance {hs#

#5 ·
I have 12/20 Chambermates. I have shot ammo other than AA or STS with them. The ammo shoots just fine. It's just that you will usually have problems with extraction. The empty hull doesn't want to release from the Chambermate. Consequently, you put a great deal of stress on the gun's ejectors, and even then may have to manually extract the empty hull.

Or, more often, the gun simply lifts the empty hull and the Chambermate about 3/4" out of the chamber. Then you have to extract the empty from the insert and then put the insert fully back into the chamber. If you're not careful to get the insert properly seated, you can bend the insert when you close the gun.

So, if you've got plenty of time and just want to get rid of a few off-brand shells, then go ahead and shoot them through the inserts. But be prepared for the extra work and hassle after nearly every shot.

#6 ·
Thanks folks {hs# -AA's it will be then.A couple of my local courses offer 20 ga. side events every so often and that's what I'll be using them for.

#8 ·
Ulysses said:
I have 12/20 Chambermates. I have shot ammo other than AA or STS with them. The ammo shoots just fine. It's just that you will usually have problems with extraction. The empty hull doesn't want to release from the Chambermate. Consequently, you put a great deal of stress on the gun's ejectors, and even then may have to manually extract the empty hull.

Or, more often, the gun simply lifts the empty hull and the Chambermate about 3/4" out of the chamber. Then you have to extract the empty from the insert and then put the insert fully back into the chamber. If you're not careful to get the insert properly seated, you can bend the insert when you close the gun.

So, if you've got plenty of time and just want to get rid of a few off-brand shells, then go ahead and shoot them through the inserts. But be prepared for the extra work and hassle after nearly every shot.
Yep, that's been my experience too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.