Shotgun Forum banner

Add-a-rib

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  DE 
#1 ·
Folks I have some signinifcant neck & spine issues and in an attempt to continue shooting. I want to go to a high rib setup to get my head up and hopefully ease the pain. Before i spend a lot of money on a new high rib gun and not knowing if it truly will help enough. I thought I would try a stick on rib to my existing guns. I recently ordered an add-a-rib from Joe Leon with "Add-a-rib" company and just wanted you folks to know this guy is great to deal with and will go above and beyond to help you out. If you have a need / desire for a stick on rib here is the guy to do business with. Excellent customer service and a great product. :D

#2 ·
Thanks for the info. Be sure to add a couple of pics once you get the rib and install it. Tell us how well you like it.

#3 ·
A friend added something like that to a couple shotguns he had. He was thrilled with the results. He was convinced it made a difference in his shooting - and sometimes that's all that matters. His looked similar to that one, but he had his own metal shop so he might have just made a copy for himself.

What boggled my mind was that he didn't raise the comb the equivalent amount... he just would try to hold his head in the right place by "free-style". It didn't make any sense to me and I couldn't shoot it at all... but that really wasn't important, it was his gun.

It might help you, but personally I would want a correspondingly higher check piece if I went that direction.

#4 ·
Anyone interested in trying "heads up" shooting, I have two add-a-ribs for sale. I bought these about six weeks ago and have gone back to flat rib. These ribs are 32"x3/8"x1/4" tall. Basically, according to Joe at add-a-rib, this configuration gives you the "heads up" advantage without having to do stock work. I installed these ribs. To use them you need the double sided 3m tape which you can get from Joe. These cost $129 ea. I will sell for$85.00 plus shipping. Both look brand new.
Contact me at mmahaffy1@man.com or 314-630-5534

Thanks,
Mike Mahaffy

#5 ·
FYI

Another option to a higher rib to aid in shooting with a naturally erect head and neck posture is to have a pad adjuster installed. These units allow the whole recoil pad to be lowered and allow a more erect posture. The "Jones" and the "100-Straight" are two such adjusters.

#6 ·
Kyler Hamann said:
A friend added something like that to a couple shotguns he had. He was thrilled with the results. He was convinced it made a difference in his shooting - and sometimes that's all that matters. His looked similar to that one, but he had his own metal shop so he might have just made a copy for himself.

What boggled my mind was that he didn't raise the comb the equivalent amount... he just would try to hold his head in the right place by "free-style". It didn't make any sense to me and I couldn't shoot it at all... but that really wasn't important, it was his gun.

It might help you, but personally I would want a correspondingly higher check piece if I went that direction.
The experience I've had with a raised rib is that you get comfortable with a lighter, more consistent mount with the lower comb. Instead of getting in low and tight, you just touch up high and lightly. You're more able to keep your vision wide open without the barrels or receiver in your view.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#9 ·
Thanks for all advice, I got a "wrap on comb" for a temp fix. I just ordered new wood with adjustable comb and adjustable butt plate. Gotta do something. Im gonna give this a try while I'm going through all the medical procedures and hopefully can stay in the game even if it's only shooting only once a month or less. I post results once I have a feel on how things are working out.

#10 ·
I too have some neck issues that don't want to go away. After my fusion surgery it gave me an instant headache to "get into" the gun. So I had a rib made. I added about 5/8" in height so I could keep my head up as well and it has helped a lot.

A pad adjuster is helpful too but not as a stand alone solution. It's nice to keep the gun down where it belongs. If you drop the pad too far; thus raising the gun really high you get a lot of recoil. And as you know with a neck problem recoil is a major concern.

ccgunstocks.com

#11 ·
I too have some neck issues that don't want to go away. After my fusion surgery it gave me an instant headache to "get into" the gun. So I had a rib made. I added about 5/8" in height so I could keep my head up as well and it has helped a lot.

A pad adjuster is helpful too but not as a stand alone solution. It's nice to keep the gun down where it belongs. If you drop the pad too far; thus raising the gun really high you get a lot of recoil. And as you know with a neck problem recoil is a major concern.

ccgunstocks.com

#13 ·
I had add a rib to one of my guns. When you raise the rib you raise the comb. This will keep the gun in the shoulder pocket and the recoil will remain the same.

The your head will not go down as much to meet the stock.

Changing the recoil pad up or down will affect the way the gun recoils. It could be good but in most cases it's not.

Remember all this could can help you but you have to try it out.

I have a 55 gallon drum full of mistakes looking for the answers. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.