CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Whats the best combo shotgun?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:57 pm 
Utility Grade

hey i am looking for a new combo shotgun. anybody have an opinion on what are the best guns for the money any help is apperciated thanks alot!

Post subject: Re: Whats the best combo shotgun?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Cynergy Classic Trap Combo! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :D

Personally, if I had the cash to start over, I would start with a Caesar Guerini Summit Trap O/U. Then when I wore that one out, I would go looking for another.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:04 pm 
Utility Grade

Brettsta wrote:
hey i am looking for a new combo shotgun. anybody have an opinion on what are the best guns for the money any help is apperciated thanks alot!

Give us some more info and we can steer you in a million directions LOL. I really like my Cynergy and I don't even have the combo.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:39 am 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
That's sort of like asking "blonde or red-head?" But, I think the Guerini Summit combo is $$ for $$ the best value out there right now. I like mine a bunch.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

Lets make that 3 for the Caesar Guerini Summit Trap combo. You can spend a lot more money and not get a better gun. The absolute best value in a combo you can find IMHO

--- Chip King ---

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

I think the new Blaser F3 Trap Combo is really going to be something. Lots of really neat features on this gun at a price that is about 60% of the price of a Krieghoff (MSRP is supposed to be $9995). I had the opportunity to try out a demo gun over a weekend about a month ago.....I was totally impressed. How impressed? My new Blaser F3 trap combo should be here sometime in January.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:53 pm 
Field Grade

I think it depends on what events you are going to use it for, your budget and if you are open to used guns.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:32 am 
Field Grade

Hey Gary, Is that Blazer F3 combo going to be better than my Kolar Max T/A? I don't know how anything can be better than the best gun made. Just kidding, I couldn't resist. On a serious note. The Blazer will have to be one hell of a gun to be better than what I got. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:59 am 
Crown Grade

Caesar Guerini or Kolar.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:06 am 
Presentation Grade

If you are going to spend the big bucks on a combo that you plan on keeping the rest of your life and then giving it to your grandkids for the rest of theirs invest in a Kolar.
Drive to their factory in Wisconsin (part of the USA) pick out the wood you want, have them fit the stock to you and your shooting style, add whatever little extra's you want in rib height and engraving then drive home owning one of the nicest O/U combo's around.
Or you can go to a store and buy one over the counter like 10,000 other shooters do. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:34 am 
Presentation Grade

Kolar Kid wrote:
Hey Gary, Is that Blazer F3 combo going to be better than my Kolar Max T/A? I don't know how anything can be better than the best gun made. Just kidding, I couldn't resist. On a serious note. The Blazer will have to be one hell of a gun to be better than what I got. :)

I've never had the pleasure of shooting a Kolar. I've handled a couple, but never shot one (well...unless you count the Remington 90T that I used to own). What I can tell you is that I liked the Blaser better than the K80 I was shooting. Never thought I'd part with my K80. I took the Blaser out to Demo just for the fun of it, and I came away from the experience knowing that for me, the Blaser was going to be even better than the Krieghoff. It was almost like the gun was shooting itself and I was just along as an observer. Once I had the comb and rib adjusted, it was amazing how effortless it was to absolutely dissolve targets.

I know the Kolar is a great gun, and I would have no qualms about owning one.

If you get the chance, try out the new Blaser F3 combo...I think you'd be impressed!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:42 am 
Presentation Grade

The only Blaser F3 American Trap I've seen is in the latest issue of Trap & Field and a review in the Nov. Shotgun Sports. I have to say by looking at the picture and reading the review a test drive of the F3 is going to happen. Will I run out and sell my Kolar Combo, no, but there is always a need for another trap gun if the quality is there and I can hit what I shoot at. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:20 pm 
Limited Edition

The answer to your question certainly depends on your budget. If you are farther down the trough from the big dogs like me, an SKB Trap Combo is a very good quality, modestly priced, no frills gun. You can choose from the GC7 series that has the topsingle and O/U barrels, or the 85TTR or TSS series that have the unisingle (bottom barrel with high rib) and O/U barrels.

I bought and older 505 Delux Trap Combo this past summer. I have been very happy with it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:42 pm 
Crown Grade

You can't go wrong with a combo from any manufacturer that starts with a B.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

mudpack wrote:
You can't go wrong with a combo from any manufacturer that starts with a B.

I would not pay any money for a combo made by Baikal.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

chipking wrote:
Lets make that 3 for the Caesar Guerini Summit Trap combo. You can spend a lot more money and not get a better gun. The absolute best value in a combo you can find IMHO

--- Chip King ---

Make it 4, got a Magnus unsingle and plan on sending it off when the tax refund comes to get the O/U barrels for it. Summit/Magnus/Maxum are great guns for the $$$$. All the same gun just pick the one that looks best to you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not that I have little repect for the Brownings, have owned and shot many. But....one important issue that you will need to consider is, Browning is the only line of guns that has been discussed, you can not buy a second barrel for. You can purchase any configuration on any of the other frames and then decide to buy another barrel to make a combo for 3 barrel set. Just purchase and have the barrel fitted to the frame. Its good to go.

The Cynergy can not be converted to a release trigger. You may not now or ever need a release, but not having that option available limits the guns after market. One of the reasons it is not a popular model in trapshooting. The Citori frames are more familiar on the trap line and shot by many very good shooters. Pull and release.

Just my opinion.....when you are talking combo, Browning is limited by manufacture design and market decisions. Not a big deal if your buying a gun to use for a lifetime. There are a few of those type of shooters, few is the key word.

Maltzie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:46 pm 
Crown Grade

maltzahn wrote:
Browning is the only line of guns that has been discussed, you can not buy a second barrel for.

Correct, but a moot point; he's looking for a combo.
Brettsta wrote:
hey i am looking for a new combo shotgun.

:wink:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:30 am 
Crown Grade

whatever brand, I would go u$ed. I went with Krieghoff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have been real happy with my Joel Etchen Special Beretta combo set. I don't know if there is a best, whatever gun fits you and you shoot well is the best for you. I would try as many guns as you can, they all feel different. We trap shooters like trying new guns, I am thinking of getting a Guerini trap gun or the Impact.