Shotgun Forum banner

BEST SEMI-AUTO SHOTGUN FOR SHOOTING CLAY TARGETS

4K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  jmacgreg 
#1 ·
Im about to buy a semi-auto shotgun. But having a hard time figuring out which one is the best for shooting clays. I have shot the remington 1100 and really liked it but seems like they have alot of problems. Im looking for something that will last a long time something that is duriable, reliable, accurate. In the future i plan to shoot competition so this will be the gun i use.

Anything to keep the remington 1100 going strong for a life time? Are do i need something else?

#2 ·
Where to start....

1. If the 1100 fits you and you shoot it well, buy it and be happy.

2. There's a lot of free advice on the web--some of it is more valuable than the rest. With some 4 million 1100 variants sold and counting there are will be some folks who don't like them. I'd bet the incident rate per gun is very low and know that they are dependable guns.

3. We are shooting several 1100s. My 4H Shotgun Team shooter went with an 1100 based on fit, value and suitability for competion.

Could you do as well with a Browning, Winchester, Beretta or a Benelli? Yes. See item 1 above.

#3 ·
I'm one of... Those... :lol: Shoot with a couple of people who were dedicated 1100 shooters. 2 of them now shoot Benelli, the third shoots a 525 Browning, O/U. They got tired of working on them, changing o rings etc. Sure it was a great gun, but I believe others have passed it by...

For my money, Beretta, Teknys is #1, and what I will buy when I start shooting SC. Right now I shoot skeet, and so shoot an O/U.

bd

#4 ·
SharpShooter44 said:
But having a hard time figuring out which one is the best for shooting clays.
Which is best? It's easy! :D

1. The one that fits you physically the best in terms of length of pull, cast, drop and balance.

2. The one you can buy that fits you fiscally (money-wise that is).

3. The next one you plan on buying! :lol: :wink:

#5 ·
This question gets asked all the time, and there is no correct answer. For clay target use, I have been very satisfied with either the Remington 1100 or the old Winchester Super X Model 1.

Of course, many of today's competition shooters prefer an Italian autoloader such as the Beretta 391. If the prices were comparable, it would be a toss up. However, the higher grade Italian autoloaders are pushing a $2000 list price - which is way too much for an autoloader, in my opinion.

Good luck to you.

#6 ·
Here is the plan.

1. Read back through a thousand or two of the replies on this board to your question.

2. Get your body to the range and shoot your current gun or a borrowed 1100 in competition. Look at the guns others are using and ask questions. Bring extra shells and a few dollars for extra targets and shoot ever gun that folks offer you. (If you let your squad know what you are trying to do, are not a butt head, you will have many opportunities to try out different shot guns.)

3. Then buy your idea of the best gun for you. If you decide you made a poor choice in a shotgun, you can sell it and try again with even more experience to guide you.

If you are not quite ready to buy a Whizbang 12.5 Plus after steps one and two. Ask some more questions here.

My opinion and all the usual and unusual disclaimers apply.

#7 ·
I shoot an 1187 and I have been perfectly happy with it. Many are not, however. I must have gotten a "good one" because it has never had any kind of a feed problem from 3" magnums to the lightest of target loads. I've used it for hunting, trap and skeet. This year I'm retiring it from clays (w/a Browning O/U) because I hate shagging up the hulls that it spits everywhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.